Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

One day in Frankfurt... suggestions for this Sat 16.7.11 & Mon 18.7.11?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G

Firstly, I'm hoping anyone near FRA might see this. If you have suggestions please let me know. I've done the train into the city before to walk around and have a meal and really loved it.

Being summer, do you have day trip suggestions for an Aussie on a layover?
I'll be around on Sat and also on Monday 18.7.11, if you have specific ideas or even if you can meet.

Just PM and I'll do what I can at FRA to get online and reply. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:26 am

Smile

On Saturday you could go to the fan-mile at the Main river and watch the game for the 3rd place of the women football thing 2011 with the people there. It will be Sweden against France.

Pit
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
And maybe do one of these great searches, because this question has been asked at least umpteen times
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Why not do what I'm doing this Sunday, rent a nice (and fun) car and go for a drive.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
About a 1.5. - 2.00 hr drive from Frankfurt are 2 great transport museums in Sinsheim & Speyer if you're into aviation.
Sinsheim has an Air France Concorde & a Russian Tuplev "Concordski" in display & is about twice the size of its sister museum in Speyer.
SPeyer has the only Russian Space Shuttle on display as well as a small U boat you can wander round.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for each of your replies and the time and effort taken.

Originally Posted by Pit Whitehall
On Saturday you could go to the fan-mile at the Main river and watch the game for the 3rd place of the women football thing 2011 with the people there. It will be Sweden against France.

Pit
Checked this; wanted to go! The Saturday game seems to be elsewhere and the final is on Sunday and I will not be here for that.
I asked at the LH lounge about this game but was told it's in another place.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And maybe do one of these great searches, because this question has been asked at least umpteen times
I tried and there were some threads, but lots of irrelevant threads, too.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=10648605

Plus I am looking to get current advice, e.g. the FIFA matches, meetups etc, which tend to be not covered in old threads. Thanks for telling me to search. It did give me links to similar threads but mostly not much at all.
Originally Posted by agehall
Why not do what I'm doing this Sunday, rent a nice (and fun) car and go for a drive.
Tempting! I am a bit tired and would only do this if I had someone with me. I'd hate to be driving while too tired. However I'll see if I can do this next time.
Originally Posted by Tanya934
About a 1.5. - 2.00 hr drive from Frankfurt are 2 great transport museums in Sinsheim & Speyer if you're into aviation.
Sinsheim has an Air France Concorde & a Russian Tuplev "Concordski" in display & is about twice the size of its sister museum in Speyer.
SPeyer has the only Russian Space Shuttle on display as well as a small U boat you can wander round.
Very tempting. Can either be reached easily on public transport or do I need to drive?

I'm meeting someone from Australia this afternoon in Frankfurt; it's on the basis of a similar thread here yesterday.

I'll also check CommunityBuzz.

Thanks!
BB

PS. Anyone else at FRA on Saturday 16th or Monday 18th July?
I will be around at the LH J lounge, T1 near gates B22-28. Just PM or reply here with details.

I'll sit near the coffee machines to the LEFT of the LH dragons.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Checked this; wanted to go! The Saturday game seems to be elsewhere and the final is on Sunday and I will not be here for that.
I don't think that Pit Whitehall was suggesting to watch the game live. The fan-mile is an area along the river where *all* games are shown on big screens. (Or am I wrong now...?)

http://fifafrauenwm2011.frankfurt.de...ardens_25.html
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks. I will try to get there.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:27 pm

Wink

Thanks Koby - at least you got it
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I'm here as well BiziBB...flying back the 18th on the SQ morning flight to JFK, when are you flying?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
I'm here as well BiziBB...flying back the 18th on the SQ morning flight to JFK, when are you flying?
Aww. Missed you I think. PM me if you are still here.

I left on the night of the 16th and arrived back this morning, the 18th. Here all day unless I get an offer to do something in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.