Wiki Posts
Search

Selling a used car in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Selling a used car in Germany

What is the best way to sell a used car in Germany? I want to sell my car as I will not be able to take it back to the states with me due to the European specs.

Will car dealers generally buy used cars from people even if there is no trade in (sort of like Carmax in the states), or are you pretty much stuck working out some kind of consignment deal?

I tried craigslist and got two interested parties who wanted to pay me via paypal and send their ‘shipping company’ to pick up the car (I smell a scam!). Is mobile.de any good or is it also full of scammers?

Any advice or guidance?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
try www.autoscout24.de or the car selling feature of ebay.de or some local newspapers ... best to sell it locally
you can contact car dealer, but you usually get more doing the whole sale yourself.

btw: what type of car is it and what do you want for it?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:29 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
mobile.de is considered to be OK, of course a lot of scammers anywhere in the world when it comes to selling a used car.

Get a prepaid mobile phone card and only put this number in your add, throw the card away after your done with the deal, otherwise people won't stop calling you forever asking wether the car is still available and if you would sell it for 13.99€.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DTS
mobile.de is considered to be OK, of course a lot of scammers anywhere in the world when it comes to selling a used car.

Get a prepaid mobile phone card and only put this number in your add, throw the card away after your done with the deal, otherwise people won't stop calling you forever asking wether the car is still available and if you would sell it for 13.99€.
I only gave an email address on mobile.de, and got lowball offers from people as far away as Leipzig wanting to pick it up that day (not realizing that we'd have to pay a visit to both the zollamt and American customs before the car changed hands). I ended up selling the car via my Stars and Stripes ad to an American living in Italy. craigslist was an eye opener with the scammers who wanted to pay me via paypal and turn the car over to their 'agents'. Some of the responses were actually funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.