Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Flying out of Munich

Flying out of Munich

Old Mar 26, 11, 7:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: AA Exec Plat, HI Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 24
Flying out of Munich

I will be flying out of Munich and transferring in London for a final destination of the USA on British Airways. I wanted to know if I have to go through customs in London and in Munich.

Thanks
Tazzberry is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 9:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Tazzberry View Post
I will be flying out of Munich and transferring in London for a final destination of the USA on British Airways. I wanted to know if I have to go through customs in London and in Munich.

Thanks
I flew BA from EWR, transferring in Heathrow, and I don't recall having to go thru customs as I didn't leave the airport. Note that even though I arrived and transferred in the same terminal, I still had to go back thru security. Be aware that they will confiscate any liquids, so don't buy your duty free in Munich.
Wine-O is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 5:50 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LEJ BRU
Posts: 958
Originally Posted by Tazzberry View Post
I will be flying out of Munich and transferring in London for a final destination of the USA on British Airways. I wanted to know if I have to go through customs in London and in Munich.

Thanks
As long as the LHR transfer is airside no customs in LHR and of course not in MUC.
red star is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 6:01 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CGK
Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Posts: 5,677
Originally Posted by Tazzberry View Post
I will be flying out of Munich and transferring in London for a final destination of the USA on British Airways. I wanted to know if I have to go through customs in London and in Munich.

Thanks
Do you actually mean customs, or do you mean exit immigration?

There will not be a customs check at MUC, unless customs have strong reasons to believe you're up to something dodgy (i.e. they've been tipped off). For 9,999 travellers out of 10,000, there will be no customs check when departing Germany.

You will however have to pass through exit immigration at MUC because you are leaving the Schengen Zone there.

At LHR you will be in direct airside transit, so you will not have to go through either immigration or customs there. Follow the signs for "Flight Connections".
alex0683de is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 6:09 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,375
You will exit Schengen at MUC so there is passport control there. Should never have to under normal circumstances at LHR.

Note that even though I arrived and transferred in the same terminal, I still had to go back thru security. Be aware that they will confiscate any liquids, so don't buy your duty free in Munich.
Not correct AFAIK.

As far as liquid duty free goes, as long as it is acquired onboard an E.U. carrier or at an E.U. airport andis in a sealed (by carrier or duty-free shop) E.U.-approved bag, it can pass through security in the U.K. (or elsewhere in the E.U.) as long as it is within 24 hours of purchase. The receipt is generally put inside this sealed bag.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 6:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CGK
Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Posts: 5,677
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
As far as liquid duty free goes, as long as it is acquired onboard an E.U. carrier or at an E.U. airport andis in a sealed (by carrier or duty-free shop) E.U.-approved bag, it can pass through security in the U.K. (or elsewhere in the E.U.) as long as it is within 24 hours of purchase. The receipt is generally put inside this sealed bag.
Yes, this is how the rule works. The important part is that your purchases are sealed in a tamper-proof bag, and that the bag has not been opened.
alex0683de is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 10:57 pm
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,360
For most things LHR duty free is cheaper than MUC duty free, whenever I've checked. Rarely worth the trouble to carry liquids from MUC-LHR if you have time to shop at LHR (and you should, it is structured so that almost all gates require walking through or past the duty free shop -- LHR is actually a shopping mall that happens to have planes land and takeoff there occasionally, hence the lack of investment in doing things like clearing snow from runways).
number_6 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 6:47 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: AA Exec Plat, HI Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 24
I did mean immigration. I have a choice between an hour connection or a two hour connection in LHR. I would prefer the 1 hour but not if I have to go through immigration again. If I can deboard, then go directly to my connecting flight (same terminal) then I think the hour will be enough. Thoughts?
Tazzberry is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 10:49 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 9,992
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
For most things LHR duty free is cheaper than MUC duty free, whenever I've checked. Rarely worth the trouble to carry liquids from MUC-LHR if you have time to shop at LHR (and you should, it is structured so that almost all gates require walking through or past the duty free shop -- LHR is actually a shopping mall that happens to have planes land and takeoff there occasionally, hence the lack of investment in doing things like clearing snow from runways).
Not my experience. I did a quick comparism of standards brands on the website (I found only the special offers for LHR and I found only FRA prices, so what I did, I compared the LHR special offer with two regular bottles at FRA):

Glenfiddich 15 years LHR 2 for 75 GBP, FRA 2 for 59,90 EUR
Smirnoff LHR 2 for 18 GBP, FRA 2 for 21,80 EUR
Gordons LHR 2 for 18 GBP, FRA 2 17,89 EUR.

I would exepct smoke to be cheaper in Germany given that the high high street priced in the UK.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Mar 27, 11 at 11:11 am
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 11:14 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 9,992
Originally Posted by Tazzberry View Post
I did mean immigration. I have a choice between an hour connection or a two hour connection in LHR. I would prefer the 1 hour but not if I have to go through immigration again. If I can deboard, then go directly to my connecting flight (same terminal) then I think the hour will be enough. Thoughts?
There will be no immigration clearance in the UK and as you travel on BA your connection will be all the way through T5. However, 1 hour in LHR is nothing I would understand as a good idea because you always need to go through the Flight Connection Centre and through security. Furthermore LHR is notorious for delays.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 11:43 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,375
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
There will be no immigration clearance in the UK and as you travel on BA your connection will be all the way through T5. However, 1 hour in LHR is nothing I would understand as a good idea because you always need to go through the Flight Connection Centre and through security. Furthermore LHR is notorious for delays.
Second this. Think of making a connection at LHR like making a connection on UA at ORD - leave a lot of time if you want to make it!

I am not sure if it applies to transit pax but there is some nasty thing called (connection) "compliance" at LHR T5 (not sure if the other terminals and airlines have it). If you're not at compliance check point within 35 minutes or so of departure time at T5, you're simply denied boarding. 25 minutes doesn't give you much time to disembark and clear security.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 12:43 pm
  #12  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,063
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
However, 1 hour in LHR is nothing I would understand as a good idea because you always need to go through the Flight Connection Centre and through security. Furthermore LHR is notorious for delays.
I'm not even sure if BA will sell you a ticket for connecting flights (BA to BA) with 1 hour transfer time in LHR.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 2:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 9,992
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I'm not even sure if BA will sell you a ticket for connecting flights (BA to BA) with 1 hour transfer time in LHR.
BA won't (they do not even sell you a JER connection under two hours ) but AA does without problems.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 2:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CGK
Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Posts: 5,677
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I'm not even sure if BA will sell you a ticket for connecting flights (BA to BA) with 1 hour transfer time in LHR.
For a T5/BA-T5/BA connection, the published minimum connecting time is 60 minutes according to the BAA website.

But as others have said, LHR is notorious for delays. I'd take the 2-hour connection for peace of mind.
alex0683de is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 4:27 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: AA Exec Plat, HI Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 24
You're right about AA - that is where I am getting the tickets. I know LHR is notorious, and I would feel better with peace of mind. If it was just me, I would take the chance but I will be with family who are not big flyers. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the advice!
Tazzberry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread