Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Question about German Rail Passes

Question about German Rail Passes

Old Mar 21, 11, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Question Question about German Rail Passes

I'm planning a trip to Germany for this summer and I have a question about the way that German rail passes work.

When I was researching rail passes I mainly relied on the explanation provided on the Rick Steves website, which had more to do with Eurail passes than country-specific ones. It said that overnight trains only used one day on the pass as long as you board the train after 7 pm and don't change until after 4 am the next day, but then it said this does not apply to some country-specific passes, Germany being among them. Now I'm just confused about whether there are any such restrictions on the German pass and if so, what are they? I tried to find out on the DBahn website but when I clicked the link to the terms and conditions of rail passes it switched from the English version of the site to German.

Also, when I did a search for an overnight train from Munich to Berlin it only turned up one non-stop result, and any trips with only one stop change in Braunschweig at 6 am. Would this change use up another travel day on the pass? I'm not sure if we would be able to book the nonstop train because while it says that tickets are not available to buy until 92 days before the trip, the icon under this message says "There is not enough time for an ordering".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 11, 7:26 am

The "7pm rule" applies to all Eurail and Inter-Rail flexipasses (Global, Select, Regional, One-Country). There is no Eurail One-Country pass for Germany.

The German railpass is a different product offered by Deutsche Bahn, and does not have this rule. Alternatively, you could pay a bit more and get a Eurail Regional pass for Germany & Benelux or Germany & Austria.

You will be able to book the sleeper supplements for passholders on-line, within the 92 days prior to departure.
Old Mar 23, 11, 5:34 am

Programs: Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by railways View Post
The German railpass is a different product offered by Deutsche Bahn, and does not have this rule.
Actually, it does - you can travel on direct night trains after 7pm without using up an extra day on your German rail pass. Keep in mind that this does not work (a) if you need to make a connection between 7pm and midnight and (b) for the first day of travel on a pass if it coincides with the first day of validity - e.g. if your pass is valid as 1 April and your first day of travel is 1 April, then you can't take a night train departing on 31 March.

That's at least my understanding from DB's terms and conditions that can be found here - but unfortunately only in German (see p. 21)...
Old Mar 23, 11, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Actually, it does - you can travel on direct night trains after 7pm without using up an extra day on your German rail pass. Keep in mind that this does not work (a) if you need to make a connection between 7pm and midnight and (b) for the first day of travel on a pass if it coincides with the first day of validity - e.g. if your pass is valid as 1 April and your first day of travel is 1 April, then you can't take a night train departing on 31 March.

That's at least my understanding from DB's terms and conditions that can be found here - but unfortunately only in German (see p. 21)...
Yes, you're right.

Nice of them to mention it in the English version of their website.
Old Apr 1, 11, 3:47 pm

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder
In all German rail passes can the use of through night trains to travel the day before at 19:00 of the clock be started on the pass, registered travel day, but not for trains in the flow and not when the first day of travel is the first of validity.

Search this Thread