Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Nudity in Germany's hotels wellness areas : why ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nudity in Germany's hotels wellness areas : why ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My wife is finnish and is amazed to what extent the Germans have taken the Sauna.
My wife's half finnish. She and our finnish relatives are always very amused by the german approach to sauna. They especially like to make fun of the fact that there have to be rules for sauna.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by HAM76
Two German traits come together in a sauna. One is believing in rules, the other one the preference of everyone being similar.
This is the correct answer. Being naked in the sauna or on the beach is a great equaliser. No social status can be displayed. All are the same. No need to be ashamed, because everyone is naked.

Now, enter this context with your clothes on and people will frown upon that. The whole nakedness thing only works and if everyone is naked. If some are not, it becomes weird, also for those who are naked.

Germans are just as easily embarrassed as other people. They are just not embarrassed being naked together in a sauna or in a communal shower.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How about naked sledding?

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...ng-competition
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
I was in Finland recently and got to talking with a Finnish woman who was telling me she has a traditional "smoke sauna" at home. I asked if she had ever had sex in the sauna and she seemed horrified that I would ask such a question. It's one thing when it's public, but in her own sauna at home? Clearly part of the sauna culture, although she's missing out in my opinion.
Knowing neither you nor the Finnish woman, and of course not the details of your conversation (where, when how), it's rather difficult to offer an opinion. Nevertheless, having been in a sauna only once in my life, I found it so uncomfortably hot and the benches so hard that sex was the very last thing in my mind. And this, in spite of the fact that I was 23 at the time and the naked, later wife of mine who was with me was 21...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KLouis
I found it so uncomfortably hot and the benches so hard that sex was the very last thing in my mind.
Have to agree

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 16, 2016 at 11:25 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:27 pm

And for "Alsacienne", asking "why ?" never implied that I judge the practice as bad or good. It just means that I am curious about it.
Returning to this thread after some time ... I'm not sure that I thought you were asking 'why' ... I was just continuing the thread after the previous poster HAM76. There is nothing wrong with curiosity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.