Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Nudity in Germany's hotels wellness areas : why ?

Nudity in Germany's hotels wellness areas : why ?

Old Feb 15, 11, 3:49 pm

And for "Alsacienne", asking "why ?" never implied that I judge the practise as bad or good. It just means that I am curious about it.
Glad you clarified this ....... so many of the local expats preface their opinions (usually negative) about cultural matters with the word WHY?!!
Old Feb 17, 11, 5:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, Sixt-Plat
I would like to point out that it is not just the sauna in Germany. I was in the Hyatt in Cologne and they have a pool. The locker room and shower facilities of this Hyatt were CO-ED and there was a full naked women showering with a naked man in the locker room (the sauna and steam were in this area). The pool was textile though.

I have been to a therme outside Nuernberg and was exposed to the naked sauna and the co-ed locker room (with stalls if you wanted to change in private); but most of the people (men and women) were changing out in the open. Most of the people who used the stalls were families where young children were a little shy.

So, now I expect in Germany that you may be exposed to co-ed changing facilities more often than not.
Old Feb 18, 11, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer View Post
I would like to point out that it is not just the sauna in Germany. I was in the Hyatt in Cologne and they have a pool. The locker room and shower facilities of this Hyatt were CO-ED and there was a full naked women showering with a naked man in the locker room (the sauna and steam were in this area). The pool was textile though.
That is unusual even in Germany. In all the German hotels that I have stayed at, there are always separate locker rooms for women and men.
Old Feb 18, 11, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan View Post
I am totally putting a sauna on my to-do list for Germany. Wow, didn't even think about it. This is gonna be great!
+1.
Old Feb 18, 11, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer View Post

I have been to a therme outside Nuernberg and was exposed to the naked sauna and the co-ed locker room (with stalls if you wanted to change in private); but most of the people (men and women) were changing out in the open. Most of the people who used the stalls were families where young children were a little shy.

So, now I expect in Germany that you may be exposed to co-ed changing facilities more often than not.
I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience in a naked spa situation at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel this past year. Showering and saunaing with just men in a clothing optional situation was new to me as an born an bred American. I know that if I had the desire, I would have been able to do the same with my 'wife' or 'girlfriend' and then who knows from there. As a gay man, I happened to be enjoying the spa services with some men we met beforehand and had no problem with the nudity aspect, as it was actually a little intriguing and invigorating for all of us. There was no partner swapping or anything like that, it was just nice to be free and accepted in every way.
Old Feb 24, 11, 8:59 pm

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Silver
I think the question here should be "Why do Americans get so hung up about this"
Old Feb 25, 11, 5:02 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by rotanes View Post
Welcome to german saunas! Hopefully your visit will be helpful in dropping the average age of sauna visitors below the current 70+ level....
Old Feb 26, 11, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Indultiomarus View Post
I think the question here should be "Why do Americans get so hung up about this"
+1 ^
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Why do you think the OP is American?
Old Feb 26, 11, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Did you read the OP's location?
Old Feb 3, 16, 10:55 am

I do business in Germany every year. Germans/Ukraine/Russians are open about Nudity in spas. (...) The Cologne spas are amazing.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 4, 16 at 8:08 am Reason: edited inappropriate content out of post
Old Feb 6, 16, 12:11 pm

My theory was always that they think it deters perverts. They figure a pervert who'd get 'excited' by the nudity would be put off by the fact that his 'excitement' might be clearly visible. Or to put it in a broader context - they feel nudity as a communally shared element is asexual and 'pure' whereas the presence of a clothed person introduces an element of shame and sexual friction.

There's of course a long history of nudism in Germany and ties in with a cultural obsession with the 'natural' (see organic food, anti-nuclear energy movement, popularity of hiking, esoteric movements etc.) that to that extent doesn't exist in the rest of Europe or the 'West'.
Old Feb 6, 16, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
There's a whole other thread on this from a while back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...otel-spas.html

Maybe the moderators could combine?
Old Feb 6, 16, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by mag View Post
This is an interesting question.
I kind of never questioned it, as my "education" said when in sauna, go naked.
And I assume that it is enforced in Germany in order to take away the reasons to by shy in case you are shy... if everybody is naked, no reason to be shy.
I always assumed that it is rooted in sauna culture / Finland.
I was in Finland recently and got to talking with a Finnish woman who was telling me she has a traditional "smoke sauna" at home. I asked if she had ever had sex in the sauna and she seemed horrified that I would ask such a question. It's one thing when it's public, but in her own sauna at home? Clearly part of the sauna culture, although she's missing out in my opinion.
Old Feb 7, 16, 3:51 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NYTA View Post
I was in Finland recently and got to talking with a Finnish woman who was telling me she has a traditional "smoke sauna" at home. I asked if she had ever had sex in the sauna and she seemed horrified that I would ask such a question. It's one thing when it's public, but in her own sauna at home? Clearly part of the sauna culture, although she's missing out in my opinion.
Funny question..... I donīt use saunas and donīt like nudity. But itīs clearly not a sexual place

Search this Thread
Search Engine: