Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I didn't see anyway to get to C without going thru Schengen last year when I flew in via BA. Depending on passenger passport, there could be transit visa implications.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by seawolf
I didn't see anyway to get to C without going thru Schengen last year when I flew in via BA. Depending on passenger passport, there could be transit visa implications.
American passport, so no issue. Also don't know a way without immigration from B to C except the special airport transfer service. But no need with American passport.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Transit visa information from German embassy.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OK, so a quick detour through our friends at the Bundespolizei. No biggie.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Ok great, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers that the BA flight goes as scheduled and all should be good. Thanks for the replies! I'm confused about the transit visa bit though, since I don't need one?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't need a transit visa.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:48 am

Just thought I would give an update in case anyone else has a similar flight route in the future ( LHR - DUS - RSW with a 45 min layover). My first flight was 15 min late so I had 30 minutes to make my connection in DUS which naturally had me panicked. Upon arriving in Terminal B I actually didn't have to go through security, but had passport control twice. The first line took maybe 10 minutes, after which I RAN toward Terminal C. Only to find another long line for another passport control. I had to ask to cut the entire line otherwise I wouldn't have made it. So, after panicking and running I finally made my flight with maybe 2 minutes to spare -- so its possible to make such a short connection, just be aware that if you have a similar situation to mine, you will probably have to ask to cut the entire customs line!
Old May 12, 2017, 9:36 pm

In 2 weeks we'll be doing a transfer in DUS and are currently having some panic and confusion about what we'll be doing in DUS. We are going BCN > DUS > BOS. Both are AirBerlin flights (8943 to 7472). It's a somewhat tight connection (50 min), but it looks like the flight departing to Boston is typically late. This will be on a Sunday afternoon.

What's the best/worst case scenarios for this? What checks will we/won't we be doing (immigration, emigration, passport, security, etc).

Any answers will help me sleep better on the last few days of vacation!
Old May 13, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by kingjeff
In 2 weeks we'll be doing a transfer in DUS and are currently having some panic and confusion about what we'll be doing in DUS. We are going BCN > DUS > BOS. Both are AirBerlin flights (8943 to 7472). It's a somewhat tight connection (50 min), but it looks like the flight departing to Boston is typically late. This will be on a Sunday afternoon.

What's the best/worst case scenarios for this? What checks will we/won't we be doing (immigration, emigration, passport, security, etc).

First question: Why do people always book flights and get paniced later

Answers: Normally only one passport-control and no security (not 100 % sure on all gates). Laguage should be checked thru. In 99% the connection should be easy.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I have a lot of connections via DUS to the US, and all my connections that turn out to be around 50 minutes work out just fine. The biggest issue I have at DUS in terms of time on EU to US trips via DUS (as a transit point) is how long the walks can be. And while I've had a few rare instances of passport control at DUS taking me 5-10 minutes to get into the non-Schengen part, I've always made my flights there on this kind of routing.

Just be prepared to walk directly to your flight at DUS, and it will probably go just fine.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
First question: Why do people always book flights and get paniced later

Answers: Normally only one passport-control and no security (not 100 % sure on all gates). Laguage should be checked thru. In 99% the connection should be easy.
This is good.

First answer: because I'm a moron. But really because my travel agent friend offered me this flight for an amazing rate and said it would be fine. Then I started reading this thread and had a mini panic.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is good.

First answer: because I'm a moron. But really because my travel agent friend offered me this flight for an amazing rate and said it would be fine. Then I started reading this thread and had a mini panic.
OK, hope panic is gone away
Old May 18, 2017, 6:37 am

Hi,

Having a connecting flight in DUS Sunday afternoon. Where would be a great place to have late lunch or early dinner?

Asking here, but would appreciate recommendations of other threads to ask.

Thanks,
Old May 18, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pisistratus
Hi,

Having a connecting flight in DUS Sunday afternoon. Where would be a great place to have late lunch or early dinner?

Asking here, but would appreciate recommendations of other threads to ask.

Thanks,
How long are you in DUS?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
How long are you in DUS?
2-3 hours. Probably, won't leave the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.