FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1176424-connecting-flights-dusseldorf.html)

Flying Lawyer Apr 11, 2017 1:18 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 28154666)
I flew this route many times in the past. I even experienced that I had to leave the waiting area to clear immigration after arrival of the officers. So you may be lucky to avoid immigration (security is not the problem) but not always.

P.S. Seems they changed the immigration at B.

I have done LCY-DUS-LHR as a positioning flight without any issues and immigration. All from B35 or B33 in the small non Schengen portion of the B terminal. Simply get of the plane and board your onward flight.

jgallant182 Apr 13, 2017 1:30 am

Hi everyone,

Not sure about this connection as it was sold to me by Eurowings:

It's EDI-->DUS-->CDG with a 50 min connection, and from what I've heard many of the Eurowings flights arrive via buses. I've never been to DUS before and having remembered FRA from a few years ago I'm skeptical this will work. Any advice?

seawolf Apr 13, 2017 6:14 am

If it lands on time, it will work.

offerendum Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jgallant182 (Post 28171440)
Hi everyone,

Not sure about this connection as it was sold to me by Eurowings:

It's EDI-->DUS-->CDG with a 50 min connection, and from what I've heard many of the Eurowings flights arrive via buses. I've never been to DUS before and having remembered FRA from a few years ago I'm skeptical this will work. Any advice?

50 minutes is fine, it will normally work out even with a bus.

londonchristina Apr 27, 2017 5:35 pm

LHR > DUS > RSW via airberlin

Hi all, I'm traveling from London LHR to Florida, US via DUS. I booked this connection because it was about $400 cheaper than other options and only added 2 hrs more to my trip. My layover is only 50 minutes in DUS, and I have an American passport. Will this be doable? Does anyone know if I will have to recheck my bags, etc.? I checked the website and looks like A My flights are both on one ticket with airberlin, altho it says British Airways will be operating the first flight. Thanks for any help!

LondonElite Apr 28, 2017 4:45 am

Originally Posted by londonchristina (Post 28238725)
Hi all, I'm traveling from London LHR to Florida, US via DUS. I booked this connection because it was about $400 cheaper than other options and only added 2 hrs more to my trip. My layover is only 50 minutes in DUS, and I have an American passport. Will this be doable? Does anyone know if I will have to recheck my bags, etc.? I checked the website and looks like A My flights are both on one ticket with airberlin, altho it says British Airways will be operating the first flight. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to FT, londonchristina! I've done this flight many times (we have a place in SW Florida). The first question to ask you (and it is an important one) is whether this is on one ticket or two. If it is on separate bookings I suspect you may have a problem here.

londonchristina Apr 28, 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28240150)
Welcome to FT, londonchristina! I've done this flight many times (we have a place in SW Florida). The first question to ask you (and it is an important one) is whether this is on one ticket or two. If it is on separate bookings I suspect you may have a problem here.

Thanks for the welcome & quick answer! Good to hear from someone who has done the same flight. It is on one ticket booked through Airberlin, although on the Airberlin site it says the first flight is operated by British Airways. I also went ahead and booked a seat on the first leg toward the front of the plane to ease some worrying.

LondonElite Apr 28, 2017 5:57 am

OK, that makes life a lot easier. DUS is an easy connection so, if your BA flight is on time, you should be able to make this no problem. Your bags will be checked directly to RSW but you will have to get from B (where BA arrives) to C (where your AB7008 is it? departs.) You'll have to skip along at a bit of a pace, but it's non-Schengen to non-Schengen so no immigration, but you will go through security again.

If you don't make the AB flight (mainly because BA is late, otherwise they're likely to hold the flight if they know you've arrived), you're a little stuffed because AB doesn't fly to RSW every day, and there are limited options to Florida from DUS, other than via a connection in the US.

seawolf Apr 28, 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28240311)
OK, that makes life a lot easier. DUS is an easy connection so, if your BA flight is on time, you should be able to make this no problem. Your bags will be checked directly to RSW but you will have to get from B (where BA arrives) to C (where your AB7008 is it? departs.) You'll have to skip along at a bit of a pace, but it's non-Schengen to non-Schengen so no immigration, but you will go through security again.

If you don't make the AB flight (mainly because BA is late, otherwise they're likely to hold the flight if they know you've arrived), you're a little stuffed because AB doesn't fly to RSW every day, and there are limited options to Florida from DUS, other than via a connection in the US.

I don't think there is a non-Schengen corridor between A/B and C according to map. Immigration would be necessary unless there is some other arrangements to get passengers from non-Schengen A/B to C.

LondonElite Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am

You may be right. I just don't know if there is a transfer station in the small non-Schengen exclave. But even if there isn't, this won't hold you up much longer as the passport desk is right at the gate and should not take longer then a few minutes.

seawolf Apr 28, 2017 9:38 am

I didn't see anyway to get to C without going thru Schengen last year when I flew in via BA. Depending on passenger passport, there could be transit visa implications.

offerendum Apr 28, 2017 11:32 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 28241124)
I didn't see anyway to get to C without going thru Schengen last year when I flew in via BA. Depending on passenger passport, there could be transit visa implications.

American passport, so no issue. Also don't know a way without immigration from B to C except the special airport transfer service. But no need with American passport.

seawolf Apr 28, 2017 11:44 am

Transit visa information from German embassy.

LondonElite Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm

OK, so a quick detour through our friends at the Bundespolizei. No biggie.

londonchristina Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Ok great, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers that the BA flight goes as scheduled and all should be good. Thanks for the replies! I'm confused about the transit visa bit though, since I don't need one?

LondonElite Apr 28, 2017 4:36 pm

You don't need a transit visa.

londonchristina May 12, 2017 7:48 am

Just thought I would give an update in case anyone else has a similar flight route in the future ( LHR - DUS - RSW with a 45 min layover). My first flight was 15 min late so I had 30 minutes to make my connection in DUS which naturally had me panicked. Upon arriving in Terminal B I actually didn't have to go through security, but had passport control twice. The first line took maybe 10 minutes, after which I RAN toward Terminal C. Only to find another long line for another passport control. I had to ask to cut the entire line otherwise I wouldn't have made it. So, after panicking and running I finally made my flight with maybe 2 minutes to spare -- so its possible to make such a short connection, just be aware that if you have a similar situation to mine, you will probably have to ask to cut the entire customs line!

kingjeff May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

In 2 weeks we'll be doing a transfer in DUS and are currently having some panic and confusion about what we'll be doing in DUS. We are going BCN > DUS > BOS. Both are AirBerlin flights (8943 to 7472). It's a somewhat tight connection (50 min), but it looks like the flight departing to Boston is typically late. This will be on a Sunday afternoon.

What's the best/worst case scenarios for this? What checks will we/won't we be doing (immigration, emigration, passport, security, etc).

Any answers will help me sleep better on the last few days of vacation!

offerendum May 13, 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kingjeff (Post 28305499)
In 2 weeks we'll be doing a transfer in DUS and are currently having some panic and confusion about what we'll be doing in DUS. We are going BCN > DUS > BOS. Both are AirBerlin flights (8943 to 7472). It's a somewhat tight connection (50 min), but it looks like the flight departing to Boston is typically late. This will be on a Sunday afternoon.

What's the best/worst case scenarios for this? What checks will we/won't we be doing (immigration, emigration, passport, security, etc).

First question: Why do people always book flights and get paniced later:confused:

Answers: Normally only one passport-control and no security (not 100 % sure on all gates). Laguage should be checked thru. In 99% the connection should be easy.

GUWonder May 14, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by kingjeff (Post 28305499)

I have a lot of connections via DUS to the US, and all my connections that turn out to be around 50 minutes work out just fine. The biggest issue I have at DUS in terms of time on EU to US trips via DUS (as a transit point) is how long the walks can be. And while I've had a few rare instances of passport control at DUS taking me 5-10 minutes to get into the non-Schengen part, I've always made my flights there on this kind of routing.

Just be prepared to walk directly to your flight at DUS, and it will probably go just fine.

kingjeff May 14, 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 28306856)
First question: Why do people always book flights and get paniced later:confused:

Answers: Normally only one passport-control and no security (not 100 % sure on all gates). Laguage should be checked thru. In 99% the connection should be easy.

This is good.

First answer: because I'm a moron. But really because my travel agent friend offered me this flight for an amazing rate and said it would be fine. Then I started reading this thread and had a mini panic.

offerendum May 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by kingjeff (Post 28310016)
This is good.

First answer: because I'm a moron. But really because my travel agent friend offered me this flight for an amazing rate and said it would be fine. Then I started reading this thread and had a mini panic.

OK, hope panic is gone away:)

pisistratus May 18, 2017 6:37 am

Hi,

Having a connecting flight in DUS Sunday afternoon. Where would be a great place to have late lunch or early dinner?

Asking here, but would appreciate recommendations of other threads to ask.

Thanks,

offerendum May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by pisistratus (Post 28327537)
Hi,

Having a connecting flight in DUS Sunday afternoon. Where would be a great place to have late lunch or early dinner?

Asking here, but would appreciate recommendations of other threads to ask.

Thanks,

How long are you in DUS?

pisistratus May 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 28329544)
How long are you in DUS?

2-3 hours. Probably, won't leave the airport.

GUWonder May 19, 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by pisistratus (Post 28331270)

Then it's either airside at the airport, the airport mall landside, or at the Sheraton DUS. If you have an SPG Business Amex, you may get lounge access at the Sheraton, but don't expect much of it; and the Sheraton DUS has a bar/restaurant too.

LondonElite May 19, 2017 2:51 am

Then you are limited to a number of unremarkable sandwich shops and sushi stands.

GUWonder May 19, 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28332081)
Then you are limited to a number of unremarkable sandwich shops and sushi stands.

There is also the grocery store and Sheraton hotel if willing to go landside.

I find the time to get back airside at DUS to be very quick on average.

pisistratus May 19, 2017 3:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28331935)
Then it's either airside at the airport, the airport mall landside, or at the Sheraton DUS. If you have an SPG Business Amex, you may get lounge access at the Sheraton, but don't expect much of it; and the Sheraton DUS has a bar/restaurant too.

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Thanks, guys! I was hoping for a must-eat place inside DUS. What about San Pino or Otto? High reviews on TripAdvisor.

If nothing like it, are there any shops and stands to avoid? Or everything is the same?

offerendum May 19, 2017 4:47 am

Not really a restaurant, it's self-service as far as I know. Another option is landside Maritim-hotel. Had lunch there during a conference. Nothing special

LondonElite May 19, 2017 4:51 am

Correct. There is no must-eat place in DUS

FLYGVA May 19, 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by pisistratus (Post 28332208)
Thanks, guys! I was hoping for a must-eat place inside DUS. What about San Pino or Otto? High reviews on TripAdvisor.

If nothing like it, are there any shops and stands to avoid? Or everything is the same?

I think you refer to the Restaurant Ott (http://www.restaurant-otto.de/en/) in the Sheraton Hotel Düsseldorf Airport? Actually it is not that bad but not really a must eat place.

mosburger May 20, 2017 12:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28332336)
Correct. There is no must-eat place in DUS

The "Kikaku" outlet landslide comes nearest to that but of course doesn't really compare to the ambience downtown at the mothership.

pisistratus May 20, 2017 1:04 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 28336049)
The "Kikaku" outlet landslide comes nearest to that but of course doesn't really compare to the ambience downtown at the mothership.

That's something. Any particular dish worthy of trying?

mosburger May 20, 2017 2:24 am

Originally Posted by pisistratus (Post 28336118)
That's something. Any particular dish worthy of trying?

It's on outlet of the most established sushi bar & restaurant in Dusseldorf and probably the whole of Germany.

They have a "Dusseldorf roll" which you could try. Nothing mind-blowing but an ok snack before the next flight.

pisistratus May 20, 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 28336259)
It's on outlet of the most established sushi bar & restaurant in Dusseldorf and probably the whole of Germany.

They have a "Dusseldorf roll" which you could try. Nothing mind-blowing but an ok snack before the next flight.

Thanks, added to my wander-list.

seawolf May 20, 2017 7:32 am

As LondonElite indicated, there is nothing in the must-try category not even Kikaku in DUS. Most airports are not known to be culinarily destinations.

LondonElite May 21, 2017 7:38 am

If you have three hours clear and no luggage to worry about, I can recommend an excellent Italian restaurant in Oberkassel, about 15 mins from the airport.

seawolf May 21, 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 28340251)
If you have three hours clear and no luggage to worry about, I can recommend an excellent Italian restaurant in Oberkassel, about 15 mins from the airport.

Which restaurant?

LondonElite May 21, 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 28340685)
Which restaurant?

You have pm