Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

First hand experience in reroute. AB cxld DUS HAM. Offered train or car rental coupon. Refused to reroute on LH even thought they were operating because the agent said there is no interline agreement with LH.

Train coupon is two pages (carbon copy). Agent writes down your info (name/PNR/ticket number/route). You board DB train with this. You can also pay to reserve a specific seat on the train if you want (recommended if you are travelling with a large party or with kids). Train personnel will stamp both copies and keep page one. Just show your copy on subsequent train connections.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by seawolf
Refused to reroute on LH even thought they were operating because the agent said there is no interline agreement with LH.
Really? LOL! AB and LH interline without issues
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:51 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Really? LOL! AB and LH interline without issues
I do find that suspicious. I approach the ticketed counter stating my flight was cancelled, can you put me on LH? She looks at my itin, calls someone, asked when I flew into DUS while on the phone. This took about five minutes before she hangs up and tells me they don't interline with LH.

If there was no agreement, she could have told me immediately. I think the flight being an award issued by AA might have been a factor.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think the flight being an award issued by AA might have been a factor.
Yep, that probably was the problem, the ticket would have needed a reissue by AA, since it was issued on their stock. Alternatively the AB agent would have had to make a new booking, use the AA coupon on AB and exchange it with a new AB coupon, then attach it to the new booking etc. OW requires partner airlines to do all that, and the two agents involved probably decided to do better things that day

Before you ask, yes AA and LH interline too.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Not sure how award IRROPs are handled by AB but in my experience with US/UA/AA irrops, the original plating carrier doesn't have to reissue because the operating carrier has control of the original coupon on day of departure.

What I think should have happened is this:
AB "lifts" the DUS-HAM coupon (submits to AA for reimbursement as if business as usual).
AB book LH DUS-HAM segment either in same PNR or new PNR and issues new ticket for this.

This is no different than putting me on ICE. AB is still going to submit the coupon to AA for reimbursement and DB is going to submit the train coupon back to AB for payment.

This is how I've seen this work in IRROPS between US, UA, and AA.

FYI According to the AA agent I spoke with while at the AB counter, they don't have an interline agreement with LH either (which I know to be untrue).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:23 am

how about luggage handling?

i fly CPH - DUS - AUH - BKK.

CPH - DUS operated by AB.
DUS - AUH AB codeshare with EY.

connecting time in DUS 1:20 min ...do they have time enough to pass my luggage for the upcoming flight DUS - AUH?

or do i need to check in again after arriving in DUS?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:57 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

AB and EY have an interline agreement and the luggage is transferred automatically (i.e. without need to re-check). Time is more than sufficent
Old May 20, 2013, 10:32 pm

I have flights with airberlin from Vernice to Zurich and the stopover is at Dusseldorf. Both flights are short haul and the transit time is 55 minutes. Can anyone assist me if 55 minutes are sufficient for me to travel to the boarding gate? I have checked bag as well, so will it transfer to the connecting flight? Last question is when I arrive at Dusseldorf, how do I go about to make my way to the connecting flight?
Old May 20, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Wondering why you'd fly from Venice to Zuerich via DUS, I found a Vernice in Albania (but has no airport).
55mins will be enough anyway, but if indeed it is really Venice in Italy both flights will arrive/depart from pier B in DUS, which means you will walk around 5mins from one flight to the other and have no further passport- or security check. There is an AB transit counter airside in B, but you should receive both boarding cards in Venice so no further need to go there.
55min should also be no problem for your baggage to be automatically transferred.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:08 pm

I read a review from 4+ years ago. It stated that arriving at DUS, you exit the plane down stairs to the tarmac, and then up lots of stairs to customs. Is this still the case?

No questions about connecting time....I think we have 3 hours before our BA flight to LHR
Old May 22, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Well, this depends on where you end up. In concourse A, Schengen bus arrival currently requires you to take the stairs up to the departure level and then once again down into baggage claim (in both cases, there are elevators you may use instead). Non-Schengen A bus arrivals will probably drop you off in concourse B.

I have never arrived in concourse B (both Schengen and non-Schengen), but in concourse C (sometimes a concourse B bus arrival will drop you off at the concourse C arrival gate) you won't have to deal with stairs as you'll already arrive on the customs and baggage reclaim level. But it may be a bit of a walk, especially in concourse C.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, and DUS is quite accessible (although you may have to do some additional walking if you have to use one of the quite sparsely spread elevators especially in the main hall.

Additionally, there are lots of finger gates, so most bus arrivals will actually be shorter hops within the Schengen zone, although evening arrivals on BA from LHR are quite likely to get an apron position.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:46 pm

Hi. I booked an Aeroplan Reward with a leg from Dublin to Zurich via Dusseldorf.
LH3471 (Eurowing) from Dublin and LH3138 (Eurowing) to Zurich on a Sat in August. Cdn passport.
However, I now notice the connection time is only 40 Min.
Dusseldorf website says 35 min is doable.

Am I correct that I can check the luggage directly through to Zurich in Dublin?
I assume both flights are in the same terminal (A).

Is 40 min practical (assuming incoming flight ontime)?
(Alternative is paying $100 more now to change to the next Eurowing flight 1.5 hrs later)

How are Eurowing if I miss connection -- am concerned as its a reward ticket and so lower in the pecking order and less options available perhaps.

Any input greatly appreciated. Thx.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Originally Posted by thegov
LH3471 (Eurowing) from Dublin and LH3138 (Eurowing) to Zurich on a Sat in August. Cdn passport.
However, I now notice the connection time is only 40 Min.
Dusseldorf website says 35 min is doable.

Is 40 min practical (assuming incoming flight ontime)?
How are Eurowing if I miss connection -- am concerned as its a reward ticket and so lower in the pecking order and less options available perhaps.

I wouldn't worry too much: Concourse A is small. After passport control you will have 5mins walking distance to your next flight.
The flights are only operated by LH-daughter Eurowings, but LH rules apply, so if you're on one and not separate tickets they will see to it to get you to Zurich on the next available flight should things go wrong.
But if you're checking luggage make certain they fix a transfer-badge to it.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:04 am

40 min for connecting is tight, but doable. Since you fly with Eurowings (CRJ900), it is likely that you have a remote possition in DUS.

Like PaxCGN already said, they will rebook you to the next available flight if you don't make it...
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Frederik123
40 min for connecting is tight, but doable. Since you fly with Eurowings (CRJ900), it is likely that you have a remote possition in DUS.
Like PaxCGN already said, they will rebook you to the next available flight if you don't make it...
Thx to Frederick123 and PaxCGN

Looking at tomorrow's equivalent flights, one arrives at A90 and other leaves from A64. Assuming that's fairly near. Not quite sure what you mean by "remote position"

Is there a particular type of transfer badge to be requested in Dublin? Sorry - just not that familiar with intra-European transfers.

Would it be faster to use my UK (EU) passport rather than Cdn to go thru passport control more quickly? Or no difference?

Thx again

Last edited by thegov; Jun 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.