FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1176424-connecting-flights-dusseldorf.html)

kiara_712 Nov 19, 2012 1:07 pm

meeting a friend in Dusseldorf

Hi everyone! I have a question for you all and I hope you can help. I'm going to London from Italy, in a few days, and through Dusseldorf where I'll have to wait for abouth 2 and a half hour. Since I have a friend in Dusseldorf I was wondering if there is somewhere where we can meet? And if I would have to go through the all security check after that?
Thank you in advance.

FLYGVA Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am

I assume you friend has not ticket on the same flight / airline alliance. Thus, you have to clear security to meet your friend landside.

There are a few restaurants and bar in the airport (amongt those a Starbucks) or walk over to the Sheraton or Maritime Hotel for a more quite surrounding.

The 2 hour layover in Düsseldorf is from my point of view to short for a trip into downtown Düsseldorf.

kiara_712 Nov 20, 2012 2:31 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA (Post 19715526)
I assume you friend has not ticket on the same flight / airline alliance. Thus, you have to clear security to meet your friend landside.

There are a few restaurants and bar in the airport (amongt those a Starbucks) or walk over to the Sheraton or Maritime Hotel for a more quite surrounding.

The 2 hour layover in Düsseldorf is from my point of view to short for a trip into downtown Düsseldorf.

No, she does not have a ticket. Thank you very much for the answer.

supermasterphil Nov 26, 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by kiara_712 (Post 19712166)
Hi everyone! I have a question for you all and I hope you can help. I'm going to London from Italy, in a few days, and through Dusseldorf where I'll have to wait for abouth 2 and a half hour. Since I have a friend in Dusseldorf I was wondering if there is somewhere where we can meet? And if I would have to go through the all security check after that?
Thank you in advance.

Don't worry about leaving security. It will take less then five minutes (unless you have to pass very early in the morning) to get through security.

oliver2002 Dec 3, 2012 2:17 am

Heinemann is leaving DUS as their contract ends this year. They have a clearance sale in their DUS duty free stres if you plan to buy anything... http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/du...&et_lid=534519

Giacomo Bertacchi Jan 6, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello everyone.
I flew through DUS few years ago and I am in need of advice for my son's flight.
He will connect in DUS coming from Abu Dhabi (Etihad) with final destination Miami (Air Berlin). He's got a European passport.
Connecting time: 2.30 hours
Do you know the terminals and how the procedure will be?
Have you any idea of the entertainment system on air berlin planes?
Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

bruce80 Jan 13, 2013 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Giacomo Bertacchi (Post 19991065)
Hello everyone.
I flew through DUS few years ago and I am in need of advice for my son's flight.
He will connect in DUS coming from Abu Dhabi (Etihad) with final destination Miami (Air Berlin). He's got a European passport.
Connecting time: 2.30 hours
Do you know the terminals and how the procedure will be?

EY will usually arrive in concourse C, and I believe (though not sure) that all AB longhauls will also depart from concourse C. So, there should be no need to clear passport control (although this shouldn't be a problem if he's holding an european passport - although two and a half hours seem quite long to hang around in concourse C).

parabone Feb 7, 2013 3:46 am

once again.tnx for this great forum.

i will be travelling, again, to BKK.

flight details : CPH - DUS - AUH -BKK.

connecting time between CPH - DUS and DUS - AUH is 1 h 20 min

can i make it?
assuming inbound flight is on time, no problems.i assume...
i checked DUS website and it seems that AirBerlin flight from Copenhagen arrives at concourse B, while the flight to Abu Dhabi operated in alliance with Etihad, departs from concourse C.

do i need to pass through pass control when arriving from EU country, but with a non -Schengen passport?

thanks.

dj_jay_smith Feb 7, 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by parabone (Post 20201640)
once again.tnx for this great forum.

i will be travelling, again, to BKK.

flight details : CPH - DUS - AUH -BKK.

connecting time between CPH - DUS and DUS - AUH is 1 h 20 min

can i make it?
assuming inbound flight is on time, no problems.i assume...
i checked DUS website and it seems that AirBerlin flight from Copenhagen arrives at concourse B, while the flight to Abu Dhabi operated in alliance with Etihad, departs from concourse C.

do i need to pass through pass control when arriving from EU country, but with a non -Schengen passport?

thanks.

1h 20m in DUS is plenty of time. DUS is fairly small layout and the walk won't be far. Even with a small delay, you should be OK.

You will not have to go through passport control when you land from CPH as there are no border checks between Schengen countries, but you will when you depart from the C concourse.

parabone Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi.Thanks for reply

I am thinking now about the current strikes which hit german airports, in this case DUS.

Does this affect long haul flights or just european routes?

Anyone who has a better insight?

dj_jay_smith Feb 15, 2013 4:27 am

Originally Posted by parabone (Post 20249987)
Hi.Thanks for reply

I am thinking now about the current strikes which hit german airports, in this case DUS.

Does this affect long haul flights or just european routes?

It affects everything. But normally the airlines try keep the long haul flights flying and cancel the short haul/domestic first.

Domestic will probably be re-routed onto trains (with lufthansa at least), european will have the heaviest cancellations but long haul might still be affected.

worldtraveller2 Feb 15, 2013 6:09 pm

HELP!!

Originally Posted by parabone (Post 20249987)
Hi. Thanks for reply

I am thinking now about the current strikes which hit German airports, in this case DUS.

Does this affect long haul flights or just European routes?

I, too, am thinking about the current strikes in the German airports. I have a return connecting flight on Air Berlin from Berlin to Dusseldorf and then Dusseldorf (DUS) to MIA. I only have 50 minutes from arrival into DUS to get to the MIA plane. This seems to me like it is cutting it too close, I will not have to check luggage, but wondering if that is enough time to get from domestic Germany terminal to the international terminal. How big is DUS?:rolleyes:

PaxCGN Feb 16, 2013 4:19 am

no isue under normal circumstance

Originally Posted by worldtraveller2 (Post 20256514)
I, too, am thinking about the current strikes in the German airports. I have a return connecting flight on Air Berlin from Berlin to Dusseldorf and then Dusseldorf (DUS) to MIA. I only have 50 minutes from arrival into DUS to get to the MIA plane. This seems to me like it is cutting it too close, I will not have to check luggage, but wondering if that is enough time to get from domestic Germany terminal to the international terminal. How big is DUS?:rolleyes:

DUS is one terminal with three fingers. A 50min connection on a normal day should be no problem. You will arrive in B, walk 5mins to the connection to C, 5mins walking distance at most to C (but there must be a passport control inbetween) and then up to 5mins to your gate.
The strike is by the security personel from landside to airside, which you shouldn't cross. I stood in line there over an hour two days ago and was impressed by Air Berlin's good organization of this mess: whenever boarding time for certain flights neared they passed the lines and pulled out the passengers to bring them forward.
In case the strike continues it will affect you in three ways:
- your flight from Berlin might be cancelled due to the incoming aircraft being delayed by the strike or also being cancelled. In that case AB will re-book you into the next days or onto an AA flight via another oneworld hub or advise you to take the train to DUS (3+ hrs) and hopefully refund that. Since for this you would need to leave Berlin earlier and head right into the strike, keep an eye on AB's website or call the number stated there (within Germany 030 3434 3434). I found their service extraordinary when they called up my mobile unrequested abroad to inform me how they intend to get me home, but that was really a premiere for me and I wouldn't count on such luck again with any airline.
- I guess for flights to the US you will have to pass some additional security check in DUS either at your departure gate or between B and C. But I'm hoping the security personel has sense enough to strike (it's kind of a go-slow actually) only at the landside entrance.
- on the strike days AB had delayed their long distance flights in order for all passengers to make it through security. We are talking of hours here, which would definitely affect your arrival to MIA and which probably even without further strikes still has to be caught up again.

FLYGVA Feb 17, 2013 8:40 am

If you have to pass security you are affected by the strike, though they tend to get long distance flights out of DUS and cancel them not in advance. Air Berlin called the last time all passengers in the main hall and let them pass security at this time and not earlier.

You are not affected if you connect from another flight and do not have to change terminals / concourses (assuming your flight to DUS is not already canceled)

parabone Feb 18, 2013 5:35 am

i am bit confused.

is there any security checkpoint(not passport control, i do not recall immigration staff being involved in the strike) between concourse B and C, when coming from EU country and having a flight out of EU?

nevertheless, you are still affected by the strike, despite coming from a connection flight.. i myself, i have a inbound flight from CPH - AUH, with a short connection time in DUS...i might not be ''affected'' by the strike, but i am not the only one who's on that flight, there are plenty of passengers who need to pass security...hence the flight may be delayed...

and, after checking CPH and DUS official website, i can see that the regular evening flight from CPH-DUS had been cancelled due to strike...

i just hope no strike will hit on april...