Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Rental car or train? (Frankfurt to Baden Baden)

Old Jan 22, 11, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso

I would love to hear some opinions on what I should do for this summer.

My husband and I are going to have two days in Frankfurt in July. I would like to go to Baden Baden to the spa. I have looked into train tickets and have a rough idea of the cost (can't price that far out) and have also looked at the price of a rental car. The car seems to be much cheaper and I have seen online that parking in Baden Baden is cheap and pretty easy to find.

My question: how is the drive? Have any of you done it? It appears to be 100 miles or so (I looked at it once on google maps and just don't remember the exact mileage now) and wouldn't take that long to do. It will be on a Friday that we go. Would traffic be bad?

I have traveled a lot in Europe, especially Germany, but always by train and not car. Since I really only have one day to go, I wouldn't want to plan to travel by car if traffic in that area is notoriously bad or something like that.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 11, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by k_malm View Post
I would love to hear some opinions on what I should do for this summer.

My husband and I are going to have two days in Frankfurt in July. I would like to go to Baden Baden to the spa. I have looked into train tickets and have a rough idea of the cost (can't price that far out) and have also looked at the price of a rental car. The car seems to be much cheaper and I have seen online that parking in Baden Baden is cheap and pretty easy to find.

My question: how is the drive? Have any of you done it? It appears to be 100 miles or so (I looked at it once on google maps and just don't remember the exact mileage now) and wouldn't take that long to do. It will be on a Friday that we go. Would traffic be bad?

I have traveled a lot in Europe, especially Germany, but always by train and not car. Since I really only have one day to go, I wouldn't want to plan to travel by car if traffic in that area is notoriously bad or something like that.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated!

Thank you!

It would probably come down to the time of day on a Friday. as long as it is not 7-10am or 3-7pm it should be decent.
Old Jan 23, 11, 1:35 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
The motorway south from Frankfurt gets pretty crowded most days. Do check traffic before you leave and plan your route accordingly, esp. south of Darmstadt where the A5 motorway splits in two parallel motorways that rejoin near Mannheim - it's up to conditions on the day which one to take but I'd normally remain on the main branch, conveniently called "A5". To use the signage, you need to know that from Frankfurt, you want to go to towards Darmstadt, then Karlsruhe, and finally Basel (until you reach the exit for Baden-Baden). Stop following directions to the nearer place as soon as the place that's further away appears on signs. Don't bother looking for "A5 south" - cardinal points are not signposted.

To give you some ideas, my Satnav reckons from Deutsche Bank HQ to Kurhaus parking garage the drive takes 1:41 when there's no traffic (e.g. Sunday morning), and at least 2:00 on Friday afternoon, not allowing for unplanned delays such as weather and accidents.

On the other hand, Baden-Baden train station is on the outskirts of the town, and the bus ride into town takes another 20 mins + max. 10 mins time to connect from train to bus.
Old Jan 23, 11, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
you do NOT want to drive on that autobahn anyday (except if you love road constructions and traffic jams)
train is very easy, very quick and for convenience - take a cab at BadenBaden to go to the Therme
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
A rental car will probably a little bit cheaper than taking the train. The advantage of the train will be its speed (just 79 minutes), as the 115 miles ride from Frankfurt to Baden-Baden will definitely take longer, even under the best of circumstances. In my opinion the train ride is much more relaxing than taking a rental car. You should also factor in, that you'll have to refuel the car and have to pay extra for fully comprehensive insurance.
Old Jan 23, 11, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by SunshineStay View Post
A rental car will probably a little bit cheaper than taking the train.
A return train ticket is 86 Euro. And in case you fly Lufthansa (or a few other airlines) you can buy a "rail&fly"-ticket for 50 Euro. A car for two days + all related costs + parking fees + fuel will be little more expensive; when counting 2 people for the train tickets.

If k_malm just wonna go there and return I would take the train. If they would like to do some short trips for sightseeing from Baden-Baden they should take a car
Old Jan 24, 11, 3:39 am

The A5 down here is going to be one HUGE building site until 2015 and being summer that is european summer vacation = traffic jam time. Take the train - it might not be as comfortable (if very hot) but it will be much faster.

You might also want to check with an airport transfer. These folks will pick you up and take you door to door and are often not that expensive.
Old Jan 25, 11, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Thank you, everyone. It is all great food for thought. I am definitely leaning towards the train again. It would be so much easier and faster and I would hate to get stuck in a traffic jam.

The airport transfer is a fantastic idea! I will look into that too.

I would love to drive around the countryside, but with future trips to Germany already in the works, it can happen another day.

Search this Thread