Wiki Posts
Search

Rail ticket valid on DUS skytrain?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:16 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
It would in mosts cases.

If you however buy a deeply discount Super Sparpreis, this does not include the city option anymore. The regular Sparpreis ticket as well as a fully flexible ticket does include the "City Ticket".

Super Sparpreis does offer you the ability to book a city option, which would be an indicatgion for you, that the "City Ticket" is not included
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you hold, as the poster suggested, an ICE ticket that includes a City-ticket than you will be entitled to use the Skytrain not in "most" but in "any" case without a further ticket. If you hold a ticket - what the post did not suggest - that does not include a city ticket, that you will not be entitled to use the Skytrain without a further ticket.
Originally Posted by bruce80

Let me add that any ticket for long distance trains needs to cover a trip of more than 100 km (one way) in order to include a the City option - an ICE ticket to Köln Hbf, for example, wouldn‘t include that.

By the way, I think I remember that, as the Skytrain was first opened (and frequently swapped for a bus due to technical problems), they stated that any railway ticket (and parking tickets for P4-P5-P6) would be valid for the Skytrain - however, that was before the City option had initially been introduced (for BahnCard holders). Did they actually change that rule?
You are all right.

To clarify what I wanted to say is, that the Super Sparpreis tickets of Deutsche Bahn in any case does not include a city ticket any more - equally if the distance travelled is more than 100 km. If you buy a Super Sparpreis from Düsseldorf Flughafen Fernbahnhof to Frankfurt, the skytrain is not inlcuded.

In this forum are a couple of posts highlighting, that long distance train tickets include a city ticket. This is no longer valid as a general statement. You have now to verify, that you train ticket does include a city ticket.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
In this forum are a couple of posts highlighting, that long distance train tickets include a city ticket. This is no longer valid as a general statement. You have now to verify, that you train ticket does include a city ticket.
Well, until very recently, the city ticket was exclusively included if you held a so called Bahncard. If not, you had to opt for the city option (in my recollection for 2.60 EUR). Now, Deutsche Bahn AG enhanced its tickets insofar as the city ticket is included in any long distance ticket covering more than 100 km, however with the general exception of the ultra cheap "Super Spar Preis".

For most foreign inmates, the situation changed to the better since their ticket now frequently includes the city ticket. For Bahncard holder it changed to the worse since a certain type of ticket is excluced from their former benefit. Everybody opting for the ultra cheap Super Spar Preis needs to be aware that the ticket is limited to train services not including any local public transport (unless you opt for the City option and pay an extra 2.60 EUR).

As easy as this :-)
FLYGVA and offerendum like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Everybody opting for the ultra cheap Super Spar Preis needs to be aware that the ticket is limited to train services not including any local public transport (unless you opt for the City option and pay an extra 2.60 EUR).
Actually, the „SuperSparpreis“ is not that „ultra cheap“ - from what I‘ve seen so far, there is (very much like on Lufthansa Group) a flat 20 EUR fare difference (for one-way travel) between „SuperSparpreis“ and „Sparpreis“. The only actual difference between the two fares is the inclusion of a CityTicket and the option to cancel the ticket for a fee for „Sparpreis“. So, if you are unlikely to cancel (everybody else will probably opt for a Flexpreis ticket anyway), it practically never pays off to buy „Sparpreis“ instead of „SuperSparpreis“ - even if you use the CityTicket on both departure and arrival, a one-way walk-up fare for the bus/tram/etc. would have to be at least 10 EUR in order to make the „Sparpreis“ worth it (usually, you will never have to pay more than 3 to 4 EUR for a ticket covering thr entire area of validity of the CityTicket). Hence, you should definitely do the calculations before choosing Sparpreis over SuperSparpreis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.