Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:00 am
c_d
Original Poster

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
[Tax Raise] Germany imposes flight tax

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...706891,00.html

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...715126,00.html

Flight tax seems to have passed with implementation Jan., 1st 2011. Even worse, the inital amount has been raised to the max. of 45€

Here some of the bullet points as released today:

- Every take-off at a German airport will impose the extra tax!
- Every passenger flight, regardless of airline or airlines center of operation taking off in Germany is affected!
- connecting passengers will not be subjected to the tax only if the layover is < 12hrs (for long haul < 24hrs).
- Distance is set as follows - from FRA to the biggest airport in the destination country! (WTH??)

Especially the distance provision is a huge rip off. Some flights to JFK would slimly stay under 6000km.

Intra-Germany: 8€
Intra-EU/(north)North-Africa/Russia: 8€
2500-6000km: 25€ per person/ticket
> 6000km: 45€ per person/ticket
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:37 am

Hmmm, I guess they are bailing out Greece on the backs of air travellers. What was their formal excuse for this outrageous tax?

I guess I will try to route through VIE or ZUR or FCO on trips back to the states.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:44 am

So for those of us with tickets already purchased for travel to/from Germany for dates after the tax starts up, is there some additional cost that will be passed on to us? I have to admit not knowing if it can be retroactively applied or how that might work....so....pardon my ignorance.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:56 am
c_d
Original Poster

Official statemest (taken from SPIEGEL) is: "Um Vorzieheffekte zu vermeiden, findet die Steuer auf Rechtsvorgänge (z.B. Ticketkauf, Buchung einer Pauschalreise) ab dem Tag des heutigen Kabinettbeschlusses Anwendung, soweit diese zu Abflügen ab dem 1. Januar berechtigen."

That means in free words "In order to shun avoidance effects by pre-buying tickets, the tax is applied to all affected properties (buying a ticket, travel bookings, etc.) from todays date of the decision for trip initiation after Jan., 1st, 2010."
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by c_d
Official statemest (taken from SPIEGEL) is: "Um Vorzieheffekte zu vermeiden, findet die Steuer auf Rechtsvorgänge (z.B. Ticketkauf, Buchung einer Pauschalreise) ab dem Tag des heutigen Kabinettbeschlusses Anwendung, soweit diese zu Abflügen ab dem 1. Januar berechtigen."

That means in free words "In order to shun avoidance effects by pre-buying tickets, the tax is applied to all affected properties (buying a ticket, travel bookings, etc.) from todays date of the decision for trip initiation after Jan., 1st, 2010."
Ah, thanks for that. While I'm not thrilled by the tax, at least in this situation it looks like it won't hit me. Thanks again for clearing that up for me.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by c_d

A little while ago, I tried to book a R/T ticket from JFK/TXL for Feb. and the total taxes were less than $50. Does your above post imply that if you book it now and are NOT charged the tax, you'll have to pay it later at the airport?

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 am
c_d
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
A little while ago, I tried to book a R/T ticket from JFK/TXL for Feb. and the total taxes were less than $50. Does your above post imply that if you book it now and are NOT charged the tax, you'll have to pay it later at the airport?
While it is pretty uncommon to collect government fees at the counter over here, I actually have no idea how they want to implement it. I was also unable to find any reference on that apsect.

However, I do not see DL having implemented this tax already. I tried a test booking and the tax for January stays exactly the same as for December.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
If:
  • The distance measurement for all flights is based on the distance from FRA to the "biggest" airport, and
  • The "biggest" airport is measured in land mass, and
  • The OP's bullet points are accurate (cannot find a source document showing all of those data points or the specification that the distance for all flights to a country are based on the "biggest" airport in the country)

Then: Flyers to the US are screwed by the 45 Euro fee on all flights.

KDEN is the largest commercial airport by land mass and is listed as 8,108km from FRA.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

From what I've been able to find (for example: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/n...s-january.html), the medium range tax applies to Northern Africa and the Middle East, so yes, you will always get hit by the 45 euro tax going to the US.

In any case, if it's measured by largest passenger airport (ATL), that's over 6'000 km as well

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:06 am
c_d
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
If:
  • The distance measurement for all flights is based on the distance from FRA to the "biggest" airport, and
  • The "biggest" airport is measured in land mass, and
  • The OP's bullet points are accurate (cannot find a source document showing all of those data points or the specification that the distance for all flights to a country are based on the "biggest" airport in the country)

Then: Flyers to the US are screwed by the 45 Euro fee on all flights.

KDEN is the largest commercial airport by land mass and is listed as 8,108km from FRA.
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi,

From what I've been able to find (for example: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/n...s-january.html), the medium range tax applies to Northern Africa and the Middle East, so yes, you will always get hit by the 45 euro tax going to the US.

In any case, if it's measured by largest passenger airport (ATL), that's over 6'000 km as well

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
True, all flights to the US yield the highest tax category.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:18 am

Wonder how they will calculate on a DL/KL ticket TXL-AMS-DTW? Only the European leg?
I wish we could abolish buraucracies who do nothing but screw citizens all day long
As far as I am concerned, Germany is off my list. I will terminate at AMS, VIE or ZRH.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:30 am

I am not sure if this particular tax won't back fire on them.... see the Netherlands they also implemented such a tax but abolished it again after 12 months because many were heading across the border to fly from other airports not affected by this tax. In all reality this sort of tax will probably only work if implemented EU wide. On the other hands we germans are stupid and will pay them - I will however boycott it but flying from France or Zürich for now.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:52 am
c_d
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Wonder how they will calculate on a DL/KL ticket TXL-AMS-DTW? Only the European leg?
I wish we could abolish buraucracies who do nothing but screw citizens all day long
As far as I am concerned, Germany is off my list. I will terminate at AMS, VIE or ZRH.
Yes only 8€ for the leg TXL-AMS would be applicable then (according to the official statement).
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Ouch! This tax definitely stinks. It's a good think the Netherlands abolished their tax initiative, tho similar taxes are imposed in UK. Then there's the "premium travel tax" (or whatever they call it) in France.

...and let's not forget DL's International Origin Surcharge on tix originating in these countries.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:28 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by c_d
While it is pretty uncommon to collect government fees at the counter over here, I actually have no idea how they want to implement it. I was also unable to find any reference on that apsect.

A handful of years ago, when the UK imposed one of their new taxes, similar in style to this as far as being based on distance, I flew on 2 tickets.

1) USA/LGW/USA on DL in Y - stayed a few days
2) LGW/Gran Canaria/LGW on ThomsonFly in Y

I bought both tickets the same day. Later, before leaving the USA, the UK imposed the new tax. I got multiple eMails from ThomsonFly that I had to pay 5 pounds (I think) online before departure or I would not be allowwed to fly. I NEVER heard a word from DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.