Original Poster

Programs: WN,DL,BA
1 Day in Berlin: Anything worth doing/seeing THX

Thx for the info Im up for anything

Berlin, Germany*
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
Of course!

I'd first recommend walking around Mitte to get the historical insight. If you're in a hurry, buses 100 and 200 and the S-Bahn between Alexanderplatz and Zoologischer Garten can do the job.

- Brandenburg Gate
- Reichstag
- Unter den Linden
- Potsdamer Platz
- Checkpoint Charlie
- The wall @ Niederkicherstrasse, East Side Gallery or Bernauer Strasse
- Gendarmenmarkt
- Museuminsel
- Oranienburger Strasse
- Kurfürstendamm

This is the basics, though it can be adjusted to your own preferences. Having worked as a tour guide in Berlin, you're welcome to reply or PM me for any questions.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
And start your visit in the Germany forum. You are not the first one who raised this specific question.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:18 am

Way too little time in Berlin.

I'd actually skip the Reichstag dome, the lines are really long. Stick to the Mitte, if you're not too willing to walk around much, the day transit pass is a good deal.

I like the East Side Gallery part of the wall, you also get a flavor of the former East by walking around Alexanderplatz. Get some lunch in the various cheap eateries nearby, head to the Pergamon Museum to see the Ishtar Gate and the Roman marketplace, then make your way slowly to the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust memorial, and the Reichstag.

Finish your day with a bit of the Ku'damm and the memorial church, maybe a quick tour around Potsdamer Platz or a drink in Kreuzberg or Schoeneberg.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And start your visit in the Germany forum. You are not the first one who raised this specific question.
and that's where I move this thread to.

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:43 am

Suggest you get a day ticket from the airport for the excellent bus system, including the service 109 from the airport to Berlin Zoo station.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:58 pm

Hi,
what are your interests? You can see just a very limited amount of Berlin, so you have to decide what you want to see.

I would definitly recommend to buy a day-pass. Except some bus-tours, just for tourists, all busses, trains, trams and undergrounds are included. It's fast and cheap.

cheers

757DUD
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Agreed, lots to do in Berlin! So, what are you interested in?

And, when you say "1 day" do you literally mean 24 hours or is this a daytime stopover? That will make a difference too!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by that_guy
Way too little time in Berlin.

I'd actually skip the Reichstag dome, the lines are really long. Stick to the Mitte, if you're not too willing to walk around much, the day transit pass is a good deal.

I like the East Side Gallery part of the wall, you also get a flavor of the former East by walking around Alexanderplatz. Get some lunch in the various cheap eateries nearby, head to the Pergamon Museum to see the Ishtar Gate and the Roman marketplace, then make your way slowly to the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust memorial, and the Reichstag.

Finish your day with a bit of the Ku'damm and the memorial church, maybe a quick tour around Potsdamer Platz or a drink in Kreuzberg or Schoeneberg.
I spent 20 Hours in Berlin in May and I wish I had more time to spend there. I would encourage you to try and find the Berlin Wall, when I was there we tried but we ran out of time.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Suggest you get a day ticket from the airport for the excellent bus system, including the service 109 from the airport to Berlin Zoo station.
The X9 is quicker from Tegel. If you fly into Schönefeld it can take longer to get to the centre.

I'm always amazed when people ask me whether there is much to do in Berlin. When friends stay they realise how great a place it is, with so much to do, and want to come back.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tuff
The X9 is quicker from Tegel. If you fly into Schönefeld it can take longer to get to the centre.
The X9 is correct, 20 minutes into Zoo, change for Mitte and it takes an extra 20 minutes. Schönefeld is incorrect. The RE trains run into Hauptbahnhof in less than 30 minutes twice an hour, the S-Bahn takes a bit longer.

From Tegel it depends where you want to got. West-Berlin is the X9 to Zoo, East-Berlin ist the TXL to Main Station and Friedrichstraße. Both are 2,10 Euro and run every 10 minutes or so.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by that_guy
I would add Neukoelln to the list of "hip" areas in Berlin. Lots of interesting places and even al fresco dining and wining along the waterways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.