Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
Aren't Birkenstock shoes cheaper in germany?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Possibly. Might depend on the exchange rate. But the selection should be much larger. Same for Mephisto, Ecco and Arche shoes.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:56 pm

Wait, electronics have a 2-year warranty? Really?

My washing machine has never worked right, and the last time I went in Saturn just blew me off (as in, implied I was lying about buying it there!). I've been resigned to owning a 600-euro doorstop, but if I could get it fixed or replaced or...

I know this is off-topic, but could someone point me at a relevant set of regulations?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:04 pm

Um, and on-topic, for Christmas I'm taking back large quantities of marzipan, some complicated paper advent calendars from the downtown Weinachtsmarkt, and packets of interesting powdered sauces that should amuse and intrigue my friends.

I'd take interesting alcohols, but I really don't want to check a bag.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Reply to the off-topic question:
>Saturn just blew me off (as in, implied I was lying about buying it there!)
Didn't you have the receipt?
To claim warranty at a shop you have to present the receipt, as proof where and when exactly you bought the thing. Without receipt no shop in the whole country will accept any claims.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Kathrin
Reply to the off-topic question:
>Saturn just blew me off (as in, implied I was lying about buying it there!)
Didn't you have the receipt?
To claim warranty at a shop you have to present the receipt, as proof where and when exactly you bought the thing. Without receipt no shop in the whole country will accept any claims.
Exactly. It's not like in the US where they will track down your credit card history with them and research all your purchases with them. I think it has to do with data protection.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:11 am

I have the receipt, but I didn't have it with me. I actually just went in to ask if they had a spare manual, as mine got lost somewhere in the 2 installation attempts they made and the 1 "successful" installation my handyman made, and I thought maybe I had some setting wrong. They said they would never carry such a "cheap" brand, and were just so nasty I didn't want to deal with it.

I had assumed it only had a six-month warranty. If in fact it has a two-year warranty I've recovered my courage to go argue further. I see from Google searches that after six months it's my responsibility to demonstrate it never worked; perhaps my handyman will vouch for me.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Jack Napier
Aren't Birkenstock shoes cheaper in germany?
Answer agreed - it depends.

I finally bought Birkenstock (3 pairs) this past summer for the first time in 20 years, and not for work wear. They are the fashionable ones ie the Madrid and one other style, not the big clown shoe ones. All three were purchased online from American stores for less than I have seen in Germany.

And herein lies a big problem for me. I have been laughed out of shoe stores all over Bavaria and Austria. I favour GEOX, and finding them in my size is near impossible.

But the good news? I can generally find them online in America in my size, and for about 1/3 to 1/2 less than we pay in Germany. The only time I see them cheaper is during summer sales in Italy.

tfar, can you tell that I do this quite a lot? I am often on 'restocking' trips and will be doing so again this week, purchasing things which are not found in America. Canada in general has a better selection and seems more sensible about what they sell (ie fewer additives and less restrictive limits and labelling).

On the subject of Nutella, the American version gets gummy after about a week. In fact, I once left a jar in my parents cupboard, and my father actually called me to ask 'what is wrong with this Nutella you left behind?!' I realised that it was a bad American jar; he thought that there was actually something off about it as he had never seen Nutella that gummy consistency before. Poor Americans!

And on a side note, some things are very cheap in Germany compared to America, like the aforementioned toothpaste. Also coffee filters (I don't use them as I have a french press, but was shocked at how cheap they are whilst shopping with my grandmother recently at ALDI)

On another side note, perhaps we need a thread about where to find German products in other countries. I try and eat local, but we all have our comfort foods. A few years ago we had quite the drama trying to find Nutella in remote India; not a good thing for a German and an Italian travelling together!

I have for instance kept an informal list of places to buy decent Laugengebäck in America, such as Wegman's stores in PA, Whole Foods in Miami, Ralf's Bakery in WA, etc etc. Since I travel all around America (as well as the rest of the world), I am always looking for interesting places, and such a thread might be of interest? Also suggestions like the South German Bakery in Beijing, etc may be of interest?

Last edited by exbayern; Dec 3, 2009 at 9:39 am
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Morfydd
Wait, electronics have a 2-year warranty? Really?

My washing machine has never worked right, and the last time I went in Saturn just blew me off (as in, implied I was lying about buying it there!). I've been resigned to owning a 600-euro doorstop, but if I could get it fixed or replaced or...

I know this is off-topic, but could someone point me at a relevant set of regulations?
Quite OT again...sorry

In germany you have two kinds of warranty/guarantee. As translations are not consistent between "Gewährleistung" and "Garantie", you might check at pages like leo and the according forums.

You will have "Gewaehrleistung" claims towards the merchant who sold you a product that has some defect as to quality, it lasts for two years with new products (by law!). It deduces from the act of sale. The merchant therefore guarantees the product is ok. If you claim Gewaehrleistung within 6 month after the purchase, it can be assumed the product was already defect when then customer bought it. After the 6 initial months the burden of proof shifts to the customer, who has to proove the product was already defect the moment of purchase.

"Garantie" is granted by the manufacturer of the product. It's an additional, voluntary benefit. It grants functionability within the "Garantiezeitraum" The merchant might regulate "Garantie", but does not have to. In this case you have to address the manufacturer. In case someone claims for "Garantie", the customer has to proove, the defect was not present the moment of purchase.

Just trying to remember some law lectures, mixing the memory with self-established semi-knowlede...
I won't take any Garantie for anything!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
I got some warm Angora/silk underwear from Medima when in Germany. Normally hard to get in the US, too.
Funny, I was going to add joint warmers to my list, made from the same company. They used to sell in Canada, I believe.

Not from Germany but from Switzerland and France I always stock up on Génie Gel Express hand wash liquid as I mostly hand wash clothes in a hotel sink and rarely use a washing machine. I haven't found a comparable German product oddly enough so do make runs across the border (also to stock up on DIM tights - not found in Germany OR America, but in limited supply in Canada)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by exbayern
Answer agreed - it depends.

I finally bought Birkenstock (3 pairs) this past summer for the first time in 20 years, and not for work wear. They are the fashionable ones ie the Madrid and one other style, not the big clown shoe ones. All three were purchased online from American stores for less than I have seen in Germany.
[...]
Interestingly, I only found Birkenstocks at astronomical prices in the US.

[...] Wegman's stores [...]
Wegman's stores also offer some German stuff: Seitenbacher Müesli, Ritter Sport Chocolate, Schwarzbrot, Pfanni dumplings, Zentis jam. Nothing too special, but some very basic stuff, well hidden under the label "European".
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by fradoc
Interestingly, I only found Birkenstocks at astronomical prices in the US.
$45 online for the styles and colours I wanted, so I was pleased. And they were the 'higher end' ones too.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
$45 online for the styles and colours I wanted, so I was pleased. And they were the 'higher end' ones too.
Were they labelled BIRCENSTOK and made in China???
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by fradoc
Were they labelled BIRCENSTOK and made in China???

I am a little embarassed to admit how much I like them. My sister recommended wearing them as Hausschuhe and they were so comfy that I purchased a few pairs from I believe Amazon.com and either Zappos.com or their outlet site 6pm.com. QVC.com has a wide assortment of 'unique' styles apparently made just for them.

I recently spent a few days shopping all the shoe sales with my grandmother and at the end of it she agreed with me on both fronts - no shoes to be easily found in my size in Germany, and far cheaper to purchase my preferred brands in America.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Jack Napier
Quite OT again...sorry

In germany you have two kinds of warranty/guarantee. As translations are not consistent between "Gewährleistung" and "Garantie", you might check at pages like leo and the according forums.

You will have "Gewaehrleistung" claims towards the merchant who sold you a product that has some defect as to quality, it lasts for two years with new products (by law!). It deduces from the act of sale. The merchant therefore guarantees the product is ok. If you claim Gewaehrleistung within 6 month after the purchase, it can be assumed the product was already defect when then customer bought it. After the 6 initial months the burden of proof shifts to the customer, who has to proove the product was already defect the moment of purchase.

"Garantie" is granted by the manufacturer of the product. It's an additional, voluntary benefit. It grants functionability within the "Garantiezeitraum" The merchant might regulate "Garantie", but does not have to. In this case you have to address the manufacturer. In case someone claims for "Garantie", the customer has to proove, the defect was not present the moment of purchase.

Just trying to remember some law lectures, mixing the memory with self-established semi-knowlede...
I won't take any Garantie for anything!
Especially since "Gewaehrleistung" has been abolished effective midnight, December 31, 2001 (to re replaced with Sachmaengelhaftung, which is a similar concept, since January 1st, 2002).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.