Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Gaming Loyalty Programs
Reload this Page >

Car rental deal which may be "too good to be true"?

Old Dec 17, 13, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Gold Hertz-PresCircle HH-Gold Hyatt-Discoverist IHG-Plat National-Exec

I've come across an amazing deal for booking a car thru the Total Rewards shopping site. Here is the post from the Vegas Message Board which put me on to this deal/steal:

======================================

I stumbled across this and couldn't believe the deal. After logging into Total Rewards, I clicked on TR Alliances. Then on Getaways and found car rentals. Low and behold Nascar Weekend ...Nissan Maxima 6 days $107 all in!! They give you a few major agencies to choose from too. This is thru Dollar. Thrifty was same price. I'm very confident I won't find a better price, so I booked it. You do have to pay up front tho. Anyone else book this way?

Tim

======================================

The deal seems too good to be true .... which usually means it is too good to be true.

I'm getting < $100.00 total (which is "supposed" to include all taxes and fees) for a compact at Dollar Jan 26 (4pm) thru Jan 31 (8am).

Has anyone used this successfully .... that is, a Dollar/Thrifty car rental thru Total Rewards?

Is it true that the price paid when you book is the all-in total (including all taxes and fees)?

It seems strange that the confirmation shows $0 for taxes and fees .... I know that leading up to that it says it includes taxes and fees .... but, as I understand it, the taxes and fees are mandatory. Can't understand how it could be $0.

Unfortunately, I'm very suspicious of this as I've had experiences like this before where a 3rd party site say it includes taxes and fees but, when you get there, you get hit with an additional $70-80 for "mandatory" taxes and fees. Then, although possible, it's always been a pain to cancel and get all my money back.
Old Feb 23, 14, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Tim,
How did it turn out?
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Gold Hertz-PresCircle HH-Gold Hyatt-Discoverist IHG-Plat National-Exec
I'm not Tim but since he doesn't frequent here (and I've been following his thread on the Vegas Message Board), I'll respond.

Postings on the Vegas Message Board indicated that the great deals/reservations were honored (according to several who took advantage of the deal/steal) but, unfortunately, have now disappeared. Apparently they figured out that the taxes were being left off and corrected that. So, it wasn't too good to be true (for a while) but is no longer available. Bummer, as I have another trip planned for mid-March.

Search this Thread