Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Gaming Loyalty Programs
Reload this Page >

New Total Rewards Visa offers Platinum Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Total Rewards Visa offers Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mikeef
I emailed them and they said that it was only for the year you applied for the card, which makes no sense, if you apply on Dec 1. I assume that it's as if you earned it that year, thus Feb 28 of the following year (i.e., if I apply now, I get it until 2/15). Or at least I hope so...

Mike

If I apply now, how long will the diamond status be valid for?

thx.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:38 pm

Quick notes on applying for this card:

I have heard conflicting things about how long it takes points to post. I am seeing points appearing on my TR balance before statement close, and at least 2 phone reps confirmed that the 10,000 bonus points would post nearly immediately after the spending was finished. I confirmed several times that they meant this was before statement close and they confirmed.

Another rep and her supervisor however said that this was not true and that points could take up to two billing cycles to post. None of this is specified in the terms and conditions.

Also, the phone rep I spoke to said there is no way to change the statement close date as I have done for other cards to hasten the posting of points.

This may mean I miss my trip to Vegas which would be kind of irritating, but I suppose that's on me for trusting phone reps! Comenity Bank has been somewhat less than helpful.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by thecompdude
If I apply now, how long will the diamond status be valid for?

thx.
It's PLATINUM status (not Diamond) and you get it for 1 year so if you apply today (2-17-2014) you will be Platinum until (at least) 2-16-2015. I say "at least" because this hasn't been verified yet as to exactly what date the "1 year" starts; could be application date, approval date, or, perhaps, even the date they make you Platinum. I'll know soon (for me at least) as I applied early April 2013 and my annual renewal date is coming up.

From posts on other forums, some got the Platinum status upgrade almost immediately (i.e. mine showed up on my account before I got the credit card in the mail). Others had to wait a while (a week or so) and others had to call to get it posted to their account. Of course, that was at the start and I'm sure there were some start-up woes/bugs to be worked out. By now it should be pretty consistent but I haven't been following that recently.

Last edited by jgxtrav1; Feb 17, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM
I just got a new solicitation for the Total Rewards Visa Signature in the mail and I no longer see Platinum Status as a listed benefit. Is this gone? It is still listed as a benefit on the TR website.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: IHG, HiltonHonors, UA, AA
I can tell you as a card holder for over a year (just passed) and I am still platinum. Now whether this is something they will do for everyone or whether its based on play I do not know. I went to Vegas in Oct 2013 and gambled quite a bit but nowhere near what it takes to be platinum so whether that had something to do with it or not remains to be seen. I will be going back this september and we will see what happens in march of 2015 if I am again kept as platinum....
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I just got a new solicitation for the Total Rewards Visa Signature in the mail and I no longer see Platinum Status as a listed benefit. Is this gone? It is still listed as a benefit on the TR website.
I got a letter the other day saying they extended my platinum, status another year, thats good as I plan go back in October
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by john398
I got a letter the other day saying they extended my platinum, status another year, thats good as I plan go back in October
I didn't get a letter, but did notice the extension. Makes the lines just a little shorter.

Mike
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver
in the process of moving to southern california, so i'm going to be making my fair share of trips to vegas...already have made two in the past two months (once we get over the novelty of it, will probably be more like every other month or somewhere between 7-10 times per year).

in my past two trips, my tier score is up to 2300 or so...so i should hit platinum after a few more trips. although, if the platinum is for the life of the card, it would be great to secure it that way and have the ability to not have to worry about the resort fees as we have for the first two trips (a "comped" room has cost us over $100 for the two trips). we've also wasted well over half an hour waiting in lines to check in between the two trips combined, time which would have been saved with the platinum check-in line.

my question is this: if i get the card now, will i have it for one year from the date i get the card or is it only good for this year (through feb of next year)? has anyone figured out a definitive answer to this?

by the same token...if it takes me til october or november of this year to earn platinum (my guess is barring any unforeseen circumstances i'll probably get there in late september, based on how many TC i earned on the first two trips and our planned upcoming trips), does that only give me platinum until february? i'm not sure if it's worth it for me to grab the card now or just wait til i earn platinum myself...

edit: also of note, trips were 3 and 2 days (wed-sat, mon-wed). craps is by far my game of choice, although on the past trip i was up quite a bit so i did put $100 into a $1 slot and run it up to $400 before cashing out (had it up to $470 at one point). some blackjack too, but none on these two trips.

Last edited by crackers8199; Jun 20, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by crackers8199
in the process of moving to southern california, so i'm going to be making my fair share of trips to vegas...already have made two in the past two months (once we get over the novelty of it, will probably be more like every other month or somewhere between 7-10 times per year).

in my past two trips, my tier score is up to 2300 or so...so i should hit platinum after a few more trips. although, if the platinum is for the life of the card, it would be great to secure it that way and have the ability to not have to worry about the resort fees as we have for the first two trips (a "comped" room has cost us over $100 for the two trips). we've also wasted well over half an hour waiting in lines to check in between the two trips combined, time which would have been saved with the platinum check-in line.

my question is this: if i get the card now, will i have it for one year from the date i get the card or is it only good for this year (through feb of next year)? has anyone figured out a definitive answer to this?

by the same token...if it takes me til october or november of this year to earn platinum (my guess is barring any unforeseen circumstances i'll probably get there in late september, based on how many TC i earned on the first two trips and our planned upcoming trips), does that only give me platinum until february? i'm not sure if it's worth it for me to grab the card now or just wait til i earn platinum myself...

edit: also of note, trips were 3 and 2 days (wed-sat, mon-wed). craps is by far my game of choice, although on the past trip i was up quite a bit so i did put $100 into a $1 slot and run it up to $400 before cashing out (had it up to $470 at one point). some blackjack too, but none on these two trips.
I would just purchase DIAMOND STATUS for $295, while the offer is available this month.

If you are a table player (craps); you'll need a heck of a lot of high average play to earn significant tier points (I used to track such things, but as a $250 to $400 average bet player; I can certainly tell you that TR is tough for table players).

Also, be aware, that the threshold bonuses now make it easier than ever to earn Diamond (and Platinum) status.

If you purchase the Diamond Status (as noted above); you can enjoy the perks in Vegas (which include Diamond Lounge Access, and no resort fees) and not have to worry about your play and/or qualifications.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I would just purchase DIAMOND STATUS for $295, while the offer is available this month.

If you are a table player (craps); you'll need a heck of a lot of high average play to earn significant tier points (I used to track such things, but as a $250 to $400 average bet player; I can certainly tell you that TR is tough for table players).

Also, be aware, that the threshold bonuses now make it easier than ever to earn Diamond (and Platinum) status.

If you purchase the Diamond Status (as noted above); you can enjoy the perks in Vegas (which include Diamond Lounge Access, and no resort fees) and not have to worry about your play and/or qualifications.
i noticed the many people talking about how difficult it is for table players to get tier points, which is why i'm surprised i got 1/2 of the way to platinum in just two short trips. i normally start with smaller bets, $5 pass line / odds, $17 inside (or $10/$10/$34 inside if it's a $10 table)...so, normally i'm starting with around $50 on the table at a time or so. occasionally i'll have the place bets up to $150-$300+ from pressure if one of them comes a lot, but i never start with that much on the table. although, if they're counting those, i have had up to $1000 on the table at a time (albeit spread out over 7-10 different bets)...and by that time i'm likely playing with their money anyway.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
i noticed the many people talking about how difficult it is for table players to get tier points, which is why i'm surprised i got 1/2 of the way to platinum in just two short trips.
The "Tier Credit Bonuses" can make a very big difference. It makes little sense to have a "day of play" that is less than 1,000 Tier Points.

i normally start with smaller bets, $5 pass line / odds, $17 inside (or $10/$10/$34 inside if it's a $10 table)...so, normally i'm starting with around $50 on the table at a time or so. occasionally i'll have the place bets up to $150-$300+ from pressure if one of them comes a lot, but i never start with that much on the table. although, if they're counting those, i have had up to $1000 on the table at a time (albeit spread out over 7-10 different bets)...and by that time i'm likely playing with their money anyway.
I you are starting with $5 on the pass line and minimal bets inside; and running it up to $1000+ in bets (spread); and this is a "regular occurrence," I'd say you should consider yourself very very lucky.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The "Tier Credit Bonuses" can make a very big difference. It makes little sense to have a "day of play" that is less than 1,000 Tier Points.

I you are starting with $5 on the pass line and minimal bets inside; and running it up to $1000+ in bets (spread); and this is a "regular occurrence," I'd say you should consider yourself very very lucky.
lol, it's not even remotely close to a regular occurence i'd say for the times i'm at the table for 5+ hours (which is most of the time when i play, as long as i don't bust prior to that), at least once or twice i'll get up to $250-$300 spread. $1000+ happens much, MUCH more rarely (although it did happen once on my most recent trip).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 pm

1 year plus

I signed up for the TR Visa in October of 2013. Shortly thereafter I received a letter from TR saying that I had achieved platinum status for the rest of the year. I also received the 2 free buffet passes. In January of 2014 I received a letter from TR stating that my Platinum status was being extended through March of 2015. At no time did I earn enough credits to even come close to earning platinum status. As far as what happens after March 2015.. who knows? I hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.