Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Gaming Loyalty Programs
Reload this Page >

As 4 pm 11/2/12 (Borgata) Casinos have reopened

As 4 pm 11/2/12 (Borgata) Casinos have reopened

Old Nov 2, 12, 8:08 pm
  #1  
nrr
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Posts: 8,639
As 4 pm 11/2/12 (Borgata) Casinos have reopened

The closure of AC was lifted as of 10 am, and on the Borgata's web site they have officially re-opened at 4 pm--I'm assuming other casinos are doing the same.
nrr is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 8:58 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London, UK | LHR, formerly AMS
Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Posts: 8,007
AFAIK,

Everyone opened on Friday, except for REVEL. Which is opening on Saturday.

Revel will reopen on Saturday, November 3 at noon. Guests staying at our hotel may check in at 4 p.m.

“Revel sustained minimal damage and although our team is fully ready, we have elected to reopen tomorrow to allow for residents to return to their homes. We are grateful to our staff for their continued support,” said Kevin DeSanctis, Revel chief executive officer. “Our hearts go out to our Revel professionals, friends, family and neighbors who have been affected by Hurricane Sandy and we wish them and our neighboring states the best as they begin the recovery process.”
baccarat_king is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 9:07 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Md
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Posts: 250
I am just curious how much the casino business lost in ACity while being closed.....


Obviously if it happened on a Thursday and into the weekend, would have suffered.... probably not as bad since it was during the week
ch3ss is offline  
Old Nov 4, 12, 5:20 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London, UK | LHR, formerly AMS
Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Posts: 8,007
IIRC, the number being floated around was approximately $5million/day in lost revenues; all casinos combined.
baccarat_king is offline  
Old Nov 4, 12, 12:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Md
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by baccarat_king View Post
IIRC, the number being floated around was approximately $5million/day in lost revenues; all casinos combined.
Thats not as bad as I would have thought...... for the info
ch3ss is offline  
Old Nov 4, 12, 4:04 pm
  #6  
nrr
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Posts: 8,639
I stayed overnight at Borgata (Sat. 11/3-11/4). When I arrived around 2 pm it was pretty deserted, by the evening it was busy [Side note: at about 8 pm, a Star Wars slot machine (I was playing at a slot machine one aisle over), hit the jackpot, nearly $1.5 million--so maybe they should have delayed the reopening]
Gas in AC was plentiful, and no lines--even the GSP had no gas lines for the rest areas below I195.
nrr is offline  
Old Nov 4, 12, 4:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Md
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I stayed overnight at Borgata (Sat. 11/3-11/4). When I arrived around 2 pm it was pretty deserted, by the evening it was busy [Side note: at about 8 pm, a Star Wars slot machine (I was playing at a slot machine one aisle over), hit the jackpot, nearly $1.5 million--so maybe they should have delayed the reopening]
Gas in AC was plentiful, and no lines--even the GSP had no gas lines for the rest areas below I195.
dang on.. that would have been a nice hit nrr 1.5 mil To bad it wasnt you hehehe
ch3ss is offline  
Old Nov 4, 12, 5:32 pm
  #8  
nrr
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Posts: 8,639
Originally Posted by ch3ss View Post
dang on.. that would have been a nice hit nrr 1.5 mil To bad it wasnt you hehehe
Until yesterday I've never personally seen a "big" jackpot hit; but 30 minutes later, after a hoard of slot personnel came and went, the last words from one of them to the winner, "we'll call you--since we have your cell phone". My guess is that for such a big jp, that they don't immediately hand you a check for $1.5 Million, but do lots of checking that the machine didn't malfunction--every slot has a note "malfunctions void all pays and plays" or some similar wording.
Are these "big" jackpots paid in one lump sum or like most lotteries paid as 20 year annuities? [So if the latter, $1.5 million divided by 20 is $75,000 per year.]

Last edited by nrr; Nov 4, 12 at 5:41 pm
nrr is offline  
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: australia
Posts: 4,900
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
My guess is that for such a big jp, that they don't immediately hand you a check for $1.5 Million, but do lots of checking that the machine didn't malfunction--every slot has a note "malfunctions void all pays and plays" or some similar wording.
Well then , there is absolutely no doubt that this was a malfunction caused by Sandy. Can I get a job in Casino Revenue Protection?
3544quebec is online now  
Old Nov 5, 12, 9:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,468
Just so everyone knows, the gas situation in Absecon/Galloway isn't bad. If you need gas then take the local roads specifically E. White Horse Pike into A.C.
Jimgotkp is online now  
Old Nov 5, 12, 11:26 am
  #11  
nrr
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Posts: 8,639
I doubt that the machine malfunctioned since (1)this was a totally electronic slot machine, (2)the message on the screen read: "(dollar amt) hand pay jackpot".
For slots with "mechanical" wheels, it is NOT what displays in the window that really matters (from things I've read), it is what the computer, which is governing the turning of the wheels, says you won.
[I read of a case (years ago)--I think it was a Wheel of Fortune game--the screen showed 3 WOF's in a row--which presumably wins the "big" jackpot, but the progressive count (which is supposed to FREEZE) did not. The casino said it was a "malfunction", I don't know the final outcome.]
nrr is offline  
Old Nov 5, 12, 12:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Md
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Until yesterday I've never personally seen a "big" jackpot hit; but 30 minutes later, after a hoard of slot personnel came and went, the last words from one of them to the winner, "we'll call you--since we have your cell phone". My guess is that for such a big jp, that they don't immediately hand you a check for $1.5 Million, but do lots of checking that the machine didn't malfunction--every slot has a note "malfunctions void all pays and plays" or some similar wording.
Are these "big" jackpots paid in one lump sum or like most lotteries paid as 20 year annuities? [So if the latter, $1.5 million divided by 20 is $75,000 per year.]
That is wild... i am curious... I wonder if you can pick and or chose what you want the payout to be.. lump or over so many years......

id just take the tax hit right away and collect 800k-1 mil
ch3ss is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread