Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If Frontier screws up, you're on your own

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:50 pm

Frontier had the same problem this week in San Antonio, no deicer..............people trying to get to SAT were also delayed for days. If they are skimping on purchasing deicer where else are they taking short cuts ?

Janie Urquieta, a customer in Las Vegas trying to return to San Antonio told KENS 5 she was not offered a refund and had to purchase her own rental car to drive 19 hours home.

“The airline is claiming its weather related but it's actually the airline's mechanical issue. Passengers in Las Vegas are stranded for five days in Las Vegas with no available flights, no hotel, and refund,” Urquieta messaged KENS 5.

At SAT, six inbound and six outbound Frontier Airlines flights were cancelled because the airline ran out of the necessary fluid for its de-icing equipment, according to Frontier Airlines spokesman Richard Oliver.

Frontier Airlines customers outraged after San Antonio flights cancelled | kens5.com
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Frontier had the same problem this week in San Antonio, no deicer..............people trying to get to SAT were also delayed for days. If they are skimping on purchasing deicer where else are they taking short cuts ?

Janie Urquieta, a customer in Las Vegas trying to return to San Antonio told KENS 5 she was not offered a refund and had to purchase her own rental car to drive 19 hours home.

“The airline is claiming its weather related but it's actually the airline's mechanical issue. Passengers in Las Vegas are stranded for five days in Las Vegas with no available flights, no hotel, and refund,” Urquieta messaged KENS 5.

At SAT, six inbound and six outbound Frontier Airlines flights were cancelled because the airline ran out of the necessary fluid for its de-icing equipment, according to Frontier Airlines spokesman Richard Oliver.

Frontier Airlines customers outraged after San Antonio flights cancelled kens5.com
Yup, that sounds like a repeat of my problem at MSY.

FWIW, Frontier did respond to my complaint to the DOT: my wife and I each received $25 vouchers in addition to our refunds. Not great, but our tickets were only $19.

As I previously noted, I think it's VERY risky to fly Frontier and Spirit in wintertime because the odds of irregular operations are so much higher (and apparently even more elevated with Frontier, because they're not doing what they should be doing to prepare for winter weather). If your flight on these airlines are cancelled you may suffer extreme inconvenience and expense. Less experienced travelers will obviously suffer more than Flyertalkers.

Honestly, this is one area where regulation is probably needed. I would think an airline should be required to make alternative arrangements to get you home in 24 hours or compensate you $100 per day. If Frontier's business model can't support this requirement, they need a new model.
howahya likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:21 am

I was pleasantly surprised when my Frontier flight was canceled. This happened in September, 2016.

RSW-CLE, the flight was delayed for many hours and then finally canceled, after it was too late to get a flight home on another airline. The cancellation was not weather-related.

At the ticket counter they handed me a letter which gave me two options - I could get a refund of my ticket fee and find my own way home, or they would book a flight for me on another airline and pay up to $400 of the cost.

I chose the second option. This was not an interline agreement, I had to call a phone number to a Frontier travel agent in India who took over an hour but finally figured it out and we had a flight home the next morning on American Airlines. It was slightly over $400 each but they paid the full fare for us (another family's flight home was $500 each and they had to pay the extra $100 themselves).

Frontier also gave us vouchers for a meal at the airport, and they paid for a hotel room.

I was amazed, I was expecting them to tell us they would have space on another Frontier flight home in a couple of days.

My only complaint was that I had purchased "The Works" package which included baggage fees, but I had to pay AA for our suitcases. But it could have been much worse.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by CLE216
Frontier also gave us vouchers for a meal at the airport, and they paid for a hotel room.

I was amazed, I was expecting them to tell us they would have space on another Frontier flight home in a couple of days.

My only complaint was that I had purchased "The Works" package which included baggage fees, but I had to pay AA for our suitcases. But it could have been much worse.
I'm pleased to hear that, I had heard them say they would buy people tickets on other airlines in some circumstances. I'm glad they followed through.
I would also suggest you contact Frontier by mail. Tell them you had prepaid for bag fees and they should reimburse you for the additional cost. Include documentation. It can't hurt and you may get a voucher or refund.
It can't hurt and
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm pleased to hear that, I had heard them say they would buy people tickets on other airlines in some circumstances. I'm glad they followed through.
I would also suggest you contact Frontier by mail. Tell them you had prepaid for bag fees and they should reimburse you for the additional cost. Include documentation. It can't hurt and you may get a voucher or refund.
It can't hurt and
I think this would be good advice if his/her flight wasn't more than a year ago!

I am amazed by this compensation. Not my experience at all. Has anyone else been bought tickets on other airlines by Frontier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.