Booked tickets after status expires

Old Aug 31, 22, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Booked tickets after status expires

Unless F9 extends/re-offers status match, my 100k elite and DD will expire end of this year. What happens, if anything, for tickets booked before status expires for travel after status expires? I'm assuming nothing since the tickets with benefits have been issued. And, if I need to cancel, would I be able to get full refund since the tickets were purchased with the Works bundle?

Last edited by Troopers; Aug 31, 22 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 31, 22, 10:05 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Great question.. I soon will have this exact same scenario.
Hoping some F9 veteran give us the answer.
Old Aug 31, 22, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami View Post
Great question.. I soon will have this exact same scenario.
Hoping some F9 veteran give us the answer.
Ya think a chat / msg on TW or FB may give a correct answer, or what we hope to hear?
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 8:41 am

Programs: Amex MR, Southwest RR
What are the chances they will offer status match again? I'll be in the same boat if they don't.
Old Sep 13, 22, 9:03 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Keith Evans View Post
What are the chances they will offer status match again? I'll be in the same boat if they don't.
With the load levels seen all around this year, IMO the chances are pretty low. If I were based in MCO like you, it would surely hurt to lose the 100K benefits.
Old Sep 14, 22, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, AA Gold-MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I came looking for an answer to this very question. I'm loving the perks, but I'll be lucky to clear 20k this year.

My observations from flying Frontier as a 100K this year lead me to believe that the benefits will persist on the tickets already booked. My theory is that Frontier doesn't seem to really understand the concept of status as a thing in and of itself, at least when it comes to tickets. Being 100k just means that you get "the works" package at the cost of discount den. In other words, all of your benefits are conveyed as part of the "the works" package, nothing more and nothing less.

For example, I have tried to jump the line at the check-in counter a few times by claiming (rightfully so) that I'm a 100k. Doesn't matter. I've yet to find a F9 staffer (even the agent claiming to be the GM at DEN) who understands the concept of status. So you basically just get "the works" for the price of a regular ticket.

My theory then is that once that "works" ticket is issued, it's going to be a "works" ticket. They aren't going to retroactively do a scan of 100k flyers, and then downgrade those tickets from "works" to regular. In fact, this could even be considered a post-purchase downgrade.

Anyway, take this all as a grain of salt. Just my observations from having played this game for going on 20 years now. We'll see what happens.
Old Sep 17, 22, 1:40 pm

Ah, while I'm not a "F9 veteran," I'd imagine that I've probably flown F9 more than your avg FT'er. I sort of think I know the answer to this question, in a roundabout way. After my first year of match, I just signed up for a second year with a different and all new F9 number, which worked for another match to 100K. From my initial F9 number, I had booked some flights using my remaining miles in my old account, and the "works" and "zone 1" boarding remained when I flew, though status had expired.

If they offer the $49, I'll just create another F9 account, and pay it again. It's well worth it for short flights, in my view.
Old Sep 17, 22, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
I came looking for an answer to this very question. I'm loving the perks, but I'll be lucky to clear 20k this year.

My observations from flying Frontier as a 100K this year lead me to believe that the benefits will persist on the tickets already booked. My theory is that Frontier doesn't seem to really understand the concept of status as a thing in and of itself, at least when it comes to tickets. Being 100k just means that you get "the works" package at the cost of discount den. In other words, all of your benefits are conveyed as part of the "the works" package, nothing more and nothing less.

For example, I have tried to jump the line at the check-in counter a few times by claiming (rightfully so) that I'm a 100k. Doesn't matter. I've yet to find a F9 staffer (even the agent claiming to be the GM at DEN) who understands the concept of status. So you basically just get "the works" for the price of a regular ticket.

My theory then is that once that "works" ticket is issued, it's going to be a "works" ticket. They aren't going to retroactively do a scan of 100k flyers, and then downgrade those tickets from "works" to regular. In fact, this could even be considered a post-purchase downgrade.

Anyway, take this all as a grain of salt. Just my observations from having played this game for going on 20 years now. We'll see what happens.
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Ah, while I'm not a "F9 veteran," I'd imagine that I've probably flown F9 more than your avg FT'er. I sort of think I know the answer to this question, in a roundabout way. After my first year of match, I just signed up for a second year with a different and all new F9 number, which worked for another match to 100K. From my initial F9 number, I had booked some flights using my remaining miles in my old account, and the "works" and "zone 1" boarding remained when I flew, though status had expired.

If they offer the $49, I'll just create another F9 account, and pay it again. It's well worth it for short flights, in my view.
Thank very much your for the data point.

Between yours and hobo13 replies we have great info on what to expect.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 8:19 am

Thank very much your for the data point.

Between yours and hobo13 replies we have great info on what to expect.
While I'd imagine the notion of flying F9 even sparingly, let alone with regularity, would horrify the majority of FT'ers, the experience of a 100K really isn't that bad, in my view. I'm hoping they're going to offer that match again because I think that $49 is really money well spent. For anything around an hour or so of flight time, I'm not too particular of what I'm flying on, and find F9 perfectly adequate.

Ironically, if I recall, it's the only airline where their "elites" may board first. The last I can recall with such a policy was the old Virgin America where F pax boarded before anyone else.
Old Sep 18, 22, 3:37 pm

While I'd imagine the notion of flying F9 even sparingly, let alone with regularity, would horrify the majority of FT'ers, the experience of a 100K really isn't that bad, in my view. I'm hoping they're going to offer that match again because I think that $49 is really money well spent. For anything around an hour or so of flight time, I'm not too particular of what I'm flying on, and find F9 perfectly adequate.

Ironically, if I recall, it's the only airline where their "elites" may board first. The last I can recall with such a policy was the old Virgin America where F pax boarded before anyone else.
I totally agree, and the flexibility of the works is great too..

But hey, I used to fly a lot back in my homecountry, were we had the oldest DC-9 of the world in operation (with the green cockpit and all) and overall the oldest fleet in the world, and in most airlines you had to actually bribe your way into a ticket . So i'm not that picky.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 4:47 pm

I totally agree, and the flexibility of the works is great too..
Right! For $19 for, say, SFO - LAS with all the bells and whistles including guaranteed bin space, there's no downside to just making reservations all over the map. I mean, they're basically refundable and throwaway fares.

But hey, I used to fly a lot back in my homecountry, were we had the oldest DC-9 of the world in operation (with the green cockpit and all) and overall the oldest fleet in the world, and in most airlines you had to actually bribe your way into a ticket . So i'm not that picky.
LOL! For me, I tend to avoid the legacy's regional jets, which I refer to as twinkie-jets (another poster referred to them as barbie jets), and will always opt for the mainline service, if at all possible. So, I suppose, another bright side for F9--in addition to not understanding the "elite" experience, they may not understand the concept of leveraging regional carriers either!

PS - Wow, just noticed there's no Mod in this forum! How cool is that?! We could really have a blast in here.

Last edited by Visconti; Sep 18, 22 at 4:54 pm Reason: added PS...
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Right! For $19 for, say, SFO - LAS with all the bells and whistles including guaranteed bin space, there's no downside to just making reservations all over the map. I mean, they're basically refundable and throwaway fares.
That's my plan. As the year end approaches, and F9 drops OAK/SFO - LAS to $15 or $19, I'm booking flights as far out as I can at those prices.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
That's my plan. As the year end approaches, and F9 drops OAK/SFO - LAS to $15 or $19, I'm booking flights as far out as I can at those prices.
I'm not so sure you will get much of that this year. Maybe buying at the airport. But if you do I totally agree if stuff comes up just eat the cost of the ticket, I have done that many times in the past. Spirit used to be even better for it, getting $10 RTs buying from the counter. Once paid $22 to fly to Vegas Superbowl weekend, thought for sure something would screw it up but went with no problems. This year doesn't seem to be the year for it.
Old Sep 29, 22, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been wondering about post-elite benefits as well, and I've assumed "The Works" would stay with the ticket. I was planning on buying some tickets for post-December travel before my status expired. My average Frontier fare this year has been about 30 bucks and I can't complain at that price. I usually fly with my wife and we book window and aisle stretch seats and only once has anyone sat between us (and she was a fool who THOUGHT she was buying an aisle seat!). So while Frontier is not a particularly good airline, this is obviously a pretty sweet deal, given what other "real" airlines are now charging for tickets.

I was also wondering about my Discount Den membership. This typically saves me $10 or $20 a ticket. I noticed my status expires in early December on, what I assume, is the day of my status match. Since I will still be a 100K on that date, can I renew for free for another year?

I was also wondering if I should even apply for a Frontier credit card now and book free seats for travel next year. I assume these award seats would also include a grandfathered Works bundle. So far, I've only redeemed for one award ticket in the family pool I set up, but it was a transcon for 3 people at 10K a seat this past summer. The majors wanted several hundreds of dollars for each ticket and their award prices were all north of 30K. Somewhat to my surprise, my DEN connection went flawlessly and the trip was more than comfortable in the exit row. It seemed pretty crazy to be able to earn valuable award tickets on a modest number of $30 tickets flown by my family, but the Frontier program lets 100Ks do this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 7:21 am

Programs: Amex MR, Southwest RR
I don't know if it means anything, but F9 is still available on StatusMatch.com. Most of the unavailable ones are listed as "Waitlist Now," but F9 allows you to start an application. Maybe that's a good sign?
Venezuela-Miami and iahphx like this.

Search this Thread