Paid for checked bag, can I gate check it?

Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Paid for checked bag, can I gate check it?

I have the 100K level perks this year and bought a specific personal item sized bag just for Frontier flights off Amazon so I travel with my wheelie and this duffel bag that counts as a personal item that I can really fit a lot of stuff into. I can check a bag for free but honestly I don't want to deal with the check in desk and having to check a bag with Frontier. At the gate, I've never had my personal item or my carry on examined or put into that measuring box on any Frontier flights. I'm wondering if I can just take a normal backpack which would probably be too big for the personla item size as my personal item and IF they hassle me, just gate check my carry on since I always select 1 checked bag but never use it with the "The Works" package, and count my backpack as the carry on?

Would they allow me to gate check my alloted 1 free checked bag? Or would they make up some rule that the checked bag allotment that comes with THE WORKS package is only if I check it at the check in counter before security?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:32 pm

What was the answer or did you find out?

Originally Posted by BoyArmsTired
I have the 100K level perks this year and bought a specific personal item sized bag just for Frontier flights off Amazon so I travel with my wheelie and this duffel bag that counts as a personal item that I can really fit a lot of stuff into. I can check a bag for free but honestly I don't want to deal with the check in desk and having to check a bag with Frontier. At the gate, I've never had my personal item or my carry on examined or put into that measuring box on any Frontier flights. I'm wondering if I can just take a normal backpack which would probably be too big for the personla item size as my personal item and IF they hassle me, just gate check my carry on since I always select 1 checked bag but never use it with the "The Works" package, and count my backpack as the carry on?

Would they allow me to gate check my alloted 1 free checked bag? Or would they make up some rule that the checked bag allotment that comes with THE WORKS package is only if I check it at the check in counter before security?
​​​​​​​we are arriving on an international flight on American airlines, then connecting to Frontier domestic. We purchased the Works bundle on Frontier but our carry on baggage allowance on American will need to be gate checked at Frontier after we clear customs. Trying not to have to exit then check bags at Frontier desk and re-enter through security.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by smithcd2
we are arriving on an international flight on American airlines, then connecting to Frontier domestic. We purchased the Works bundle on Frontier but our carry on baggage allowance on American will need to be gate checked at Frontier after we clear customs. Trying not to have to exit then check bags at Frontier desk and re-enter through security.
If you're arriving from an international destination, you will end up needing to go landside and go through security anyway, you can't stay on the secure side of the airport when landing from an international location, unless you precleared there, (mostly flights from Canada).
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
If you're arriving from an international destination, you will end up needing to go landside and go through security anyway, you can't stay on the secure side of the airport when landing from an international location, unless you precleared there, (mostly flights from Canada).
Also flights from Ireland

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.