Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price of Flight Dropped, Should I Rebook?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Price of Flight Dropped, Should I Rebook?

I am 100K Elite so free cancellations. I was booking another flight and noticed my already booked flight has dropped in price. With Southwest, I've had them update the reservation and give me the price difference back without issue. I'm curious if it's easy to do with Frontier or if I would need to cancel the entire reservation and rush to book it again? I figure if I book the second reservation (exact same date and time) first and then cancel the original reservation, it might cause a red flag in the system and if I then cancel the original reservation I might get stuck with no reservation at all.

Has another done this? What's the best way to do this? Is it worth it? Is it asking for problems?
Old May 29, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Had the exact same scenario. It was no problem.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Had the exact same scenario. It was no problem.
How did you do it? Just call in or message in on Twitter to change the price or did you cancel and rebook? If cancel and rebook, how did you cancel to get it cancelled instantly?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
You can do it on Frontier app or call CS. If you do it in app, you can use your old confirmation number to book new ticket and the remaining balance on the old confirmation can be used for another flight. I haven't done this, but it is my understanding that you must call CS to cancel and refund to credit card.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:20 am

You cancel the reservation and are given a Credit Shell with the reservation number tied to the amount. Rebook with the reservation number and the cost is applied to the new booking and a new reservation issued. You are left with the residual value from the original
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dragond
You cancel the reservation and are given a Credit Shell with the reservation number tied to the amount. Rebook with the reservation number and the cost is applied to the new booking and a new reservation issued. You are left with the residual value from the original
You've done this and the residual can still be used for another flight? I thought Frontier was ...... in that they make all their credits one time use only.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Any updates on this, I’m 50k status, want to rebook at lower price, phones are busy, no response on chat after an hour
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by yuel
Any updates on this, I’m 50k status, want to rebook at lower price, phones are busy, no response on chat after an hour
Frontier changed their cancellation policy as of June 2nd. There is a $99 fee to cancel now, regardless of how far in advance you do it. It's not waived for 50k (100k gets The Works for free, so they can cancel via that benefit).
Furthermore, I think your refund credit will be one-time use only, so you lose any residual value if you're trying to use it to book the same flight at a lower price.

So the only situations where it makes sense to cancel IMO is:

1. You purchased The Works

or

2. Your flight drops by > $99 AND you plan to use the refund for a different flight where the ticket costs more than the first flight minus $99.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
Frontier changed their cancellation policy as of June 2nd. There is a $99 fee to cancel now, regardless of how far in advance you do it. It's not waived for 50k (100k gets The Works for free, so they can cancel via that benefit).
Furthermore, I think your refund credit will be one-time use only, so you lose any residual value if you're trying to use it to book the same flight at a lower price.

or

2. Your flight drops by > $99 AND you plan to use the refund for a different flight where the ticket costs more than the first flight minus $99.
my flight only dropped by $30 x 4 tickets, but i guess i was thinking i could use the $30 for a free one way to orlando for the kids, but thank you
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium

or

If you booked at least 7 days before travel, you can also cancel within 24 hours of booking for free thanks to the DoT rule.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by yuel
my flight only dropped by $30 x 4 tickets, but i guess i was thinking i could use the $30 for a free one way to orlando for the kids, but thank you
I guess I should have said the total price, because the $99 cancellation fee is per reservation, not per ticket. But by the same token, you will only receive a single code for the refund so you can't split it among multiple reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.