Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking myself on a friends flight for bennies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Booking myself on a friends flight for bennies

I'm a 100K member, and have a friend taking a F9 flight. I bought us a ticket together, and all the goodies. I unfortunately won't make the flight. I am assuming at check in she can print two bag tags, as she has two checked bags, and possibly just inform the gate agent I won't show up. I don't care to get my money back, the airfare was $40 and that's cheaper than her paying for a checked bag etc.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754
I'm a 100K member, and have a friend taking a F9 flight. I bought us a ticket together, and all the goodies. I unfortunately won't make the flight. I am assuming at check in she can print two bag tags, as she has two checked bags, and possibly just inform the gate agent I won't show up. I don't care to get my money back, the airfare was $40 and that's cheaper than her paying for a checked bag etc.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:57 pm

I have this same question. We have a group of 6 booked on same reservation with my status, and I can't go. I've been on phone with Frontier, and they are telling me it shouldn't be an issue?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Gobux
I have this same question. We have a group of 6 booked on same reservation with my status, and I can't go. I've been on phone with Frontier, and they are telling me it shouldn't be an issue?
great. I figured. She only needs one bag so it’s not an issue at all thinking of it. Crazy though what they charge for bags and carry on. I’m top elite on two carriers and spoiled lol
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I believe two things about Frontier. First, the phone reps know nothing and don’t understand simple questions. Second, when things go wrong flying Frontier, they go very wrong.

Having said that, in the case of the OP who is trying to use his free checked bag as a second checked bag for his friend, if she can get two clean luggage tags and not have to interact with a counter rep, it might work. Above all, do not tell the check in rep that you are not flying. Because, then, the luggage tag is invalid and there is a security risk of an unattended, unmatched bag on the plane. This goes badly.

instead, I would go ahead and spend the $30 to buy her a legitimate second bag. Keep her bags separate from yours. If she is questioned about your not being there, she should say that you are flying in to meet her and you will meet behind security.

Similarly, for the 5 pax flying without the sixth status pax. This smells of a scam and I would never draw a check in agent’s attention to it. Just check in individually and keep moving.
Venezuela-Miami and Gobux like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:25 am

Thank you for response regarding Frontier, and I agree with you all points, except my ticket situation may seem like a scam, but I am now flying out of another city from one with my family due to needing to fly with an elderly parent. If I have to cancel entire reservation, the cost is thousands, as now it is a much higher rate, and they would lose and need to buy all those perks. I am thinking maybe to find someone else in family to fly with parent to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.