Wiki Posts
Search

I assume I have no recourse? MIA-MEM cancelation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
I assume I have no recourse? MIA-MEM cancelation

Hi... Family of 4 traveling over the Easter holiday. I booked my flight 6 months ago because I know holiday travel is expensive. Was supposed to fly MIA-MEM 6 am Monday after Easter. Got an email a month ago moving the flight to 930...wasn't happy about it but I understood. Well lo and behold just got an email 2 weeks before the flight it was cancelled! Couldn't they have done this a little sooner? Anyway scrambling now. I am losing 1 night of prepaid airbnb, need an additional hotel night in Memphis now, might get penalized for my rental car early drop off and the new flights I had to book cost $200 more.. They offered me one alternative flight with an 8 hour layover in Orlando leaving a day earlier!? Don't want to spend Easter Sunday in Orlando airport with two kids ages 7 and 10. Disappointing as we only have a small window with all the family down in Florida...Do I have any chance of getting reimbursed by the airline (Or get a voucher or mileage as a good will offering) for extra out of pocket expenses or is there a better chance pigs may fly?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Oh, look, pigs flying!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Oh, look, pigs flying!
That is what I thought...just wanted to vent somewhere. LOL
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:06 pm

It never hurts to ask for a gesture of goodwill, especially if you accept the reaccomodation they offered. If you get a refund, that satisfies their contractual obligation to you so anything else you receive is at Frontier's discretion.

if you have points available in a frequent flyer program, it's not a bad idea to have a backup plan B itinerary booked. If everything goes well with your primary flight, you can get your points back. But if you end up needing it, it's nice to have an alternate itinerary booked at a reasonable cost (rather than last minute prices).
remphish1 and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by remphish1
Hi... Family of 4 traveling over the Easter holiday. I booked my flight 6 months ago because I know holiday travel is expensive. Was supposed to fly MIA-MEM 6 am Monday after Easter. Got an email a month ago moving the flight to 930...wasn't happy about it but I understood. Well lo and behold just got an email 2 weeks before the flight it was cancelled! Couldn't they have done this a little sooner? Anyway scrambling now. I am losing 1 night of prepaid airbnb, need an additional hotel night in Memphis now, might get penalized for my rental car early drop off and the new flights I had to book cost $200 more.. They offered me one alternative flight with an 8 hour layover in Orlando leaving a day earlier!? Don't want to spend Easter Sunday in Orlando airport with two kids ages 7 and 10. Disappointing as we only have a small window with all the family down in Florida...Do I have any chance of getting reimbursed by the airline (Or get a voucher or mileage as a good will offering) for extra out of pocket expenses or is there a better chance pigs may fly?
I feel your frustration. Spent a lot of time in February planning summer vacations for my family of six to Alaska and San Diego flying out of Orlando. Was so excited for landing Super cheap flights with Frontier. This week Frontier cancelled both flights. No alternate routes to Alaska. Prices with other airlines are through the roof at 3x as much. Frontier only offers a $50 voucher. Big whoop. Ugh…
remphish1 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericjenrique
I feel your frustration. Spent a lot of time in February planning summer vacations for my family of six to Alaska and San Diego flying out of Orlando. Was so excited for landing Super cheap flights with Frontier. This week Frontier cancelled both flights. No alternate routes to Alaska. Prices with other airlines are through the roof at 3x as much. Frontier only offers a $50 voucher. Big whoop. Ugh…
I wouldn’t have been mad if they cancelled it let’s say 2 months ago. It’s just so last minute! Sorry about your cancellation too it’s beyond frustrating!
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jjbiv
It never hurts to ask for a gesture of goodwill, especially if you accept the reaccomodation they offered. If you get a refund, that satisfies their contractual obligation to you so anything else you receive is at Frontier's discretion.

if you have points available in a frequent flyer program, it's not a bad idea to have a backup plan B itinerary booked. If everything goes well with your primary flight, you can get your points back. But if you end up needing it, it's nice to have an alternate itinerary booked at a reasonable cost (rather than last minute prices).
I agree with your strategy on the backup. I'm also curious about the refund satisfying their "contractual obligation." If the airline gives no indication at booking that there is risk of your flight being cancelled, makes the ticket non-refundable, goes in after the fact and makes a significant volume of schedule changes (indicating that they never planned to operate the full schedule they were selling) and do not provide a reasonable alternative (either reasonable new flights or a refund IF that refund will cover the cost of similar flights) I would argue that they could lose a lawsuit for damages in court.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
I agree with your strategy on the backup. I'm also curious about the refund satisfying their "contractual obligation." If the airline gives no indication at booking that there is risk of your flight being cancelled, makes the ticket non-refundable, goes in after the fact and makes a significant volume of schedule changes (indicating that they never planned to operate the full schedule they were selling) and do not provide a reasonable alternative (either reasonable new flights or a refund IF that refund will cover the cost of similar flights) I would argue that they could lose a lawsuit for damages in court.
Frontier is pretty direct about the extent of their obligation to customers in their contract of carriage:
16. Limitations of Liability
A. Consequential Damages – Unless it is specifically stated otherwise in this Contract of Carriage, or as required
by any applicable law, Frontier is not liable for any indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of
or resulting from transportation provided, delay in transportation, or any failure to provide transportation.
18. Failure to Operate on Schedule or Failure to Carry
A. Liability Limited - Frontier will use reasonable efforts to transport passengers and baggage to the purchased
destination, but published schedules, flight times, aircraft types, seat assignments, and similar details set
forth in the ticket or Frontier’s published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of
Carriage. Frontier may substitute alternate aircraft, change schedules, delay or cancel flights, change seat
assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket as required by its operations in Frontier’s
sole discretion. Frontier’s obligations for failure to operate any flight, failure to operate a flight according to
its schedule, or for changing the schedule or type of equipment used on any flight, with or without notice to
the passenger, are set forth below.
E. Schedule Change Prior to Day of Travel -- When a passenger’s itinerary is changed because of a modification
in Frontier’s schedule, arrangements will be made to:
1) Transport the passenger over its own route system to the destination; or
2) In the event Frontier determines that the schedule modification is significant, Frontier shall, if requested,
provide passengers a refund of the cost of the unused portion of the ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Diamond Hilton Honors
Sorry that happened to you and your family. Frontier is an absolutely a terrible airlines. They did something similar to me 10 days prior to departure, and then cancelled another flight. I’ll stay clear of them now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.