Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

WSJ News Alert: Frontier Group, Spirit Airlines Merge in $6.6 Billion Deal

Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Keith Evans
This is what I'm worried about. Higher fares and a "different" class of clientele makes for an overall less pleasant experience. I've gotten so used to those $50 RT day trips where fellow passengers were quiet and I could just listen to an audiobook in peace for the flight that the thought of paying more for a raucous, Spirit-like experience just turns me away altogether.

There could potentially be some resistance to the deal from the feds, as the current administration isn't a big fan of huge mergers, but I'm not optimistic about that.
I've flown Spirit and I've flown Frontier and I can't say I've noticed a real big difference in the "raucousness" of the atmosphere.
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ewoo
I've flown Spirit and I've flown Frontier and I can't say I've noticed a real big difference in the "raucousness" of the atmosphere.
Agreed. Basically the crowd and its behavior are a reflection on the destination, not the airline. I have flown both a lot, there really is very little to differentiate the brands so I get this merger making sense. I'm a bit skeptical this will turn out well for elites of either airline, but the elite and FF programs are very similar.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Even if Frontier is the surviving brand, they will either need to come up with a lot more animals very quickly or create a new generic design.

Perhaps a good compromise would be Tweety or Big Bird.

-J.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:20 am

I feel as if Hustler and Penthouse just merged.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tino
This merger transition should be an absolute mess for everyone involved. Take two money-losing airlines with awful operations, IT systems and customer interfaces and smash them together. The only thing they have going for them is the similar Airbus lineup between the two.
As if on queue, on the day of the merger announcement, Frontier is being hit with a systemwide issue that is causing half of its flights to be cancelled or delayed. (source: CNBC)

This merger will be fun to watch from the sidelines.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:36 am

The race to the bottom continues for Frontier!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:43 am

LMAO...While this may be a tad presumptuous, but I have a feeling this is gonna turn out to be one of my all time favorite FT threads!

By the way, Frontier stock's up around 3.5%, as of now. So, at least for today, the snap reaction of those with skin in the game appear favorable on what F9's agreed to pay.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I just messaged my friend about that but in the reverse side. I've been keeping about 12k Spirit miles alive with surveys for about 4 years now though I finally flew spirit in Dec. Guess I can finally use them when they combine.
Miles for both are pretty worthless for most airports. When an RT costs under $200 cash in most cases and for free flights you still have to pay fees for everything (including redemption if you arent Elite), miles just don't have much value. I have tried to use some of my F9 miles and it just seemed wasteful so I have held onto them wondering if the perfect storm comes when they have a flight for over $300 that I can use miles on.

I don't fly Spirit much these days, but I still get in a dining purchase or a cheap flight every six months to keep the miles active. But Spirit is much more difficult for me to justify because I don't have status, not fond of getting everything into the small backpack again and dealing with a bad seat. For both of these, elite status really is worth a lot while the miles are just meh.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Yes but Spirit is a much more well-known name. It could really go either way IMO.

-J.
I'm not sure of that I think it depends on where you are in the country.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by willy702
Miles for both are pretty worthless for most airports. When an RT costs under $200 cash in most cases and for free flights you still have to pay fees for everything (including redemption if you arent Elite), miles just don't have much value. I have tried to use some of my F9 miles and it just seemed wasteful so I have held onto them wondering if the perfect storm comes when they have a flight for over $300 that I can use miles on.

I don't fly Spirit much these days, but I still get in a dining purchase or a cheap flight every six months to keep the miles active. But Spirit is much more difficult for me to justify because I don't have status, not fond of getting everything into the small backpack again and dealing with a bad seat. For both of these, elite status really is worth a lot while the miles are just meh.
Even having Spirit credit can be hard to use. I had $70 in Flight Flex credit for a round-trip I didn't want to go on just as of end of last year. I wanted to use that credit for a 1-way ticket that was about $70. Nope, not really possible through their site, as I had to make an existing round-trip another round-trip. I paid extra for that Flight Flex unaware that it had those conditions, and it ended up being wasteful when I wanted to use it. When, I called the Spirit agent, at first agent said Flight Flex had to be online, and then all they could do is cancel the second leg of my existing round-trip but I would lose value.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I don't get the hate. I have flown both a bunch of times (more so Spirit). The worst that happened to me was a 2 hour delay. I will admit, no one rolled out a red carpet, and water bottles weren't free. Worth the many sub $160 RTs (with baggage) I've flown.

The crowd on these planes has definitely been rough. It has also been completely normal. The same can be said for any airline.

It seems like it's a cool status piece to hate on them. Some person on social media will dog them because they just showed up with luggage, thinking their $20 flight included everything. Next time, they will be smarter about it, and just purchase the $400 flight elsewhere. Rather than be nickle and dimed $26 for luggage.

This has the potential to become good or bad. Frankly, the larger network should only help. The effects of a cancelled flight hurt a lot more when you only have few options to begin with.
jjbiv, Cthunder86 and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I think the merged entity will need a new name and total rebrand. There's no benefit to picking between Spirit and Frontier, imo. It's an opportunity for a clean slate, at least from a marketing perspective.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I think the merged entity will need a new name and total rebrand. There's no benefit to picking between Spirit and Frontier, imo. It's an opportunity for a clean slate, at least from a marketing perspective.
It's an interesting calculation. I would be willing to bet most travelers on these airlines don't follow M&A news so a new name could cause issues if PAX want to book a flight and have never heard of the new airline. If you are concerned about brand recognition, keeping the "Spirit" name would be the way to go, since more people have heard of Spirit. All publicity is good publicity, right? If that isn't right, and you are concerned about brand reputation, the "Frontier" name would be the way to go. Probably best to look at what the long term outlook is post-merger. I would bet the merged companies will have more pricing power and be able to raise fares, but the cost structure of the company will all move closer towards that of a legacy carrier. The larger company will mean that legacy carriers will face stronger competition and have to lower fares which will take away some of the value proposition to customers. I would keep the Frontier name and move towards a Jetblue model for onboard services and fees given the way costs will rise and competitors fares will decrease - its the only way the new entity can survive.
arollins likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
New airline should be called Spit, catchy and appropriate!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Why? For a long time Spirit almost took pride in being horrible from the CEO on down. I remember those times about 10 years ago when without fail I would hear at least one person on every Spirit flight loudly proclaim they would never fly on Spirit again, was like that should be their motto. Spirit cleaned up their act after that and became respectable in part because Frontier was going to the same model. Changing the branding but still being an ULCC gets them nowhere. Just the same I don't see them ever trying to change the minds of those who rather bad mouth the ULCC experience. That's like someone at Walmart saying we should be going after Whole Foods for market share. It just doesn't make sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.