Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier's Latest: `Exchange Your Travel Credit for 50K Miles

Frontier's Latest: `Exchange Your Travel Credit for 50K Miles

Old Apr 7, 20, 12:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Frontier's Latest: `Exchange Your Travel Credit for 50K Miles

I got this email from Frontier today.

Frontier would like to thank you for your patience during this challenging and unprecedented time. You recently cancelled your flight with us and we know that you may still have concerns about when you will want to fly again.

To make things easier for you and to show our appreciation for your patience, we would like to offer you the opportunity to exchange your travel credit for Frontier Miles. This offer is only valid for you through the link in this email. These miles would be available to use for at least six months and beyond if you make any purchases with Frontier. Your travel credit is $XXX.XX as of 4/6/2020 and will expire on 6/16/2020.

If you elect to take the offer, you will receive 50,000 Frontier Miles deposited into your account. These miles won’t expire before September 2020.

One-way award flights start as low as 10,000 miles.
Plus, these new miles will extend the expiration of your current miles.

This offer is equal to up to 5 one-way award flights.
Of course, 50,000 miles sounds great, but I don't see how this offer actually does me any good since they expire so soon. In any case, I've already mentally let go of the "travel credit" since I doubt I'll be booking any travel by June.

I wonder what Frontier's angle is though. Do miles and travel credits get different accounting? Or, I wonder if this somehow related to the DOT enforcing refund policies. In my case, the flight was not cancelled and it was my choice to not fly. But I imagine that a lot of the credits may be from flyers who are actually entitled to cash refunds.


EDIT: Reported offers
  • $58 - $82.80 credit: 30,000 miles
  • $109 - $211 credit: 50,000 miles
  • about $300 credit: 70,000 miles
  • $578 credit: 120,000 miles
  • almost $1200 credit: $150,000 miles

Last edited by ordx; Apr 29, 20 at 10:52 am
ordx is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 12:48 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHL/EWR
Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,525
How much was your credit? I exchanged a $128 credit for the 50k miles.

The miles will only expire if you don't earn miles in the next six months.
FlyerDigits likes this.
BrlDsguise is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 12:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by ordx View Post
IOf course, 50,000 miles sounds great, but I don't see how this offer actually does me any good since they expire so soon. In any case, I've already mentally let go of the "travel credit" since I doubt I'll be booking any travel by June.
I am hopeful I get this offer for the bookings I also choose to cancel since I don't plan on booking any summer travel at this point. At least this way I can extend my miles out until September. This is also assuming they extend the schedule by then which we all know is a crapshoot.
lidosjawn is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 751
Here's some slightly rounded examples from me in case it helps anyone else.
- I have *two* itineraries, combined travel credit is about $160
- I got one offer to exchange that for 50,000 Frontier miles
- Plus, I still have the additional 3x$50 travel credit to use before End of Year

- My wife has one itinerary, travel credit is about $300
- Got the offer to exchange it for 70,000 Frontier miles
- Plus, she still has 4x$50 travel credit to use by end of year.
jameswes is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:50 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
How much was your credit? I exchanged a $128 credit for the 50k miles.

The miles will only expire if you don't earn miles in the next six months.
mine was for $190 and was 50k miles as well
rashodw is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 2:10 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Mine was $211. So I guess it's just a blanket 50K for everyone under some limit between $211 and $300.
ordx is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 2:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHL/EWR
Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,525
Originally Posted by ordx View Post
Mine was $211. So I guess it's just a blanket 50K for everyone under some limit between $211 and $300.
Per my offer between $128 and $300.
BrlDsguise is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:25 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Denver,CO, USA
Posts: 814
$58 credit with no offer to exchange for miles.
myleguy is offline  
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:10 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by ordx View Post
Or, I wonder if this somehow related to the DOT enforcing refund policies.
Friday's DOT Enforcement Notice states "Specifically, the Aviation Enforcement Office will refrain from pursuing an enforcement action against a carrier that provided passengers vouchers for future travel in lieu of refunds for cancelled or significantly delayed flights during the COVID-19 public health emergency so long as: (1) the carrier contacts, in a timely manner, the passengers provided vouchers for flights that the carrier cancelled or significantly delayed to notify those passengers that they have the option of a refund..."

This seems like a really desperate attempt to avoid having to go back and offer cash refunds to passengers whose flights were canceled and who accepted vouchers (or were denied refunds and had no choice but to accept vouchers), That is, Frontier can say these passengers voluntarily accepted miles, not vouchers, so the above DOT provision does not apply.

IMO the number of miles they're giving away to trade in vouchers shows how desperate they are to avoid offering refunds. I'd use those miles and vouchers sooner rather than later while Frontier is still in business.
Often1 likes this.
ulmguy is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 5:21 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHL/EWR
Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,525
Several of us who received the miles offer canceled our own flights and wouldn't be eligible for a cash refund.
rashodw likes this.
BrlDsguise is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 6:59 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,306
Taking miles, credits or anything other than a full refund, presuming that F9 cancelled the flights, is likely a poor bargain. F9 lacks interline agreements with any other carrier and even if it survives, there is no real likelihood that it will operate the same routes or frequencies that it did pre-Covid. Thus, if it survives at all, many people may hold vouchers or miles which have little value to them.

F9 is simply mortgaging the future and that does not bode well at all. It makes it increasingly likely that any form of funny money, e.g. vouchers, credits or miles will be worth $0 soon enough.

F9 faces two groups of people:
1. Those who cancelled tickets and took a credit.
2. Those where F9 cancelled and where F9 did not offer a refund in violation of DOT rules dating back to 2011. That is a lot of cash it owes and it has to move quickly to avoid DOT enforcement.

In this situation, the best advice is:
1. If you hold tickets for a future date and do not want to travel, do nothing until very close in (day of travel). If the flight is cancelled or there is a substantial change in schedule, you are entitled to a refund. If the flight is operating, take the credit and do with it what you will. The one thing to avoid is taking a credit unless you must. There are some people who simply want to travel and can pick a destination for a fun weekend. They may see a bit here. But, for those who are route or frequency specific, no guarantee for the future.
Brendan likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:50 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
F9 faces two groups of people:
1. Those who cancelled tickets and took a credit.
2. Those where F9 cancelled and where F9 did not offer a refund in violation of DOT rules dating back to 2011. That is a lot of cash it owes and it has to move quickly to avoid DOT enforcement.
I'm curious if anyone who received this offer is in group two. As I mentioned in the OP I'm in the first group, but I share the suspicions of @ulmguy that this offer was primarily made to stave off DOT-mandated refunds.
ordx is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: united
Posts: 1
this came to me today

APRIL 6, 2020

10:14 AM

DOT tells airlines to refund canceled flights, but don’t count on cash just yet

Airline passengers whose flights are canceled or significantly delayed should receive refunds, the Department of Transportation said in a statement, but don’t count on your money back just yet.

A statement Friday noted that that DOT would give airlines a chance to comply first.

DOT said it had received “an increasing number of complaints and inquiries from ticket passengers … who describe having been denied refunds for flights that were canceled or significantly delayed.”

A spokesman said Monday: “The obligation to provide refunds when scheduled flights are canceled or significantly delayed applies to U.S. and foreign carriers operating at least one aircraft having a seating capacity of 30 or more seats to, within, or from the United States.”
hemkogirl is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:20 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,306
Much better to simply read the Warning Letter which lays out the DOT rules dating to 2011. Don't rely on press releases and the like.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...3%202020_0.pdf
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:28 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by hemkogirl View Post
APRIL 6, 2020

10:14 AM

DOT tells airlines to refund canceled flights, but don’t count on cash just yet

Airline passengers whose flights are canceled or significantly delayed should receive refunds, the Department of Transportation said in a statement, but don’t count on your money back just yet.

A statement Friday noted that that DOT would give airlines a chance to comply first.

DOT said it had received “an increasing number of complaints and inquiries from ticket passengers … who describe having been denied refunds for flights that were canceled or significantly delayed.”

A spokesman said Monday: “The obligation to provide refunds when scheduled flights are canceled or significantly delayed applies to U.S. and foreign carriers operating at least one aircraft having a seating capacity of 30 or more seats to, within, or from the United States.”
This isn't new, the DOT letter came out last week. I refer to it in the first post on this thread.
ordx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: