Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Not seeing anything to like about new "round trip" orientation for booking flights

Not seeing anything to like about new "round trip" orientation for booking flights

Old Jan 9, 20, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.

I tried the new "round trip" oriented booking on Frontier's website, and my first impressions are very negative. This very much looks like something being done TO customers rather than FOR customers (or, in the words of the old Continental forum, "You've been enhanced!")

The best I can describe it is an attempt at forced opacity...if you enter two specific dates for a round-trip you'll get a 1-week view screen with date and price choices for the round-trip, and you can also get the choice of flights for a particular day with it priced out as round-trip. I don't see a "month view" there.

You can still get the one-way screen and expand that out to the month, but now they're claiming that it's cheaper to book a RT as a RT. Does this mean they're trying to start pricing things more like legacies (where one-ways can cost as much or more than RTs?) If so, that'd be a big policy change that would not go over well. (Hey, while you're at it, why not bring back the Saturday night stay requirement?)

The RT pricing was also much worse than expected, though I'm sure it varies by route and maybe what kind of sale is on.

If they mess around with it too much it could drive people to third-party sites.

I smell a management directive here to try to present choices differently in hopes of raising revenue or making it harder and more labor-intensive for people to tinker with the dates and segments to get the lowest fares in both directions. It appears they want you to give up and just book something.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: Amex MR, Southwest RR
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
I smell a management directive here to try to present choices differently in hopes of raising revenue or making it harder and more labor-intensive for people to tinker with the dates and segments to get the lowest fares in both directions. It appears they want you to give up and just book something.

Thoughts?
That was precisely my first impression. It seemed like the RT options were generally more expensive, and the default of one week isn't a good fit at all for weekend warriors.

I agree that those of us who like to play with the one-way dates to get the cheapest RT fare (that also works with our schedule) will not benefit from this at all and will likely end up looking elsewhere. The biggest attraction for F9 is the pricing model that lets you book an RT trip for less than $50 on dates you choose; take that away and there's no real value proposition anymore.
Old Jan 10, 20, 8:11 pm

Angry

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. As soon as we have a "Frontier is the best ULCC..." thread, they do this.

I suppose one could open 2 browsers to be able to look at the one way prices for both directions, but it's just the idea that you have to jump through these hoops in the first place.

The round trip prices, as such, are uniformly awful; much worse than I remember for the routes I was checking last week.

Let's hope for immense pushback on this "enhancement"; it is utterly ridiculous.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: The Greek Orthodox Church
The site now has been reduced to total garbage.

Flights that were about $200 ten days ago are now... $500? Are you kidding?

It seems the round trip prices are much inflated above the one-way bookings (past or present).

Either they completely jacked up this roll-out or they are demented. I made a user name just to get opinions on this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I noticed Monthly view being gone. I agree with you all that it's an attempt to make it harder to find the bargain dates we're used to booking
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead View Post
I noticed Monthly view being gone. I agree with you all that it's an attempt to make it harder to find the bargain dates we're used to booking
I just did a search looking for cheapo Frontier flights and was similarly annoyed. When I looked at the cheapest fares in one market, it was $3 more booked as roundtrip. Weird. While mildly annoying, it's not a huge deal if you can still book one-way for the same or lower price. I always did that anyway, just in case my plans changed.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:22 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I didn't take advantage of.the Discount.Den end of year deal because usually DD fares were only $10.cheaper than regular fares and I save $21 generally buying at the airport. I noticed this $69 difference when looking at fares today. Another "enhancement?
Edit:
Now it seems like DD might have been worth getting. This is a new change as I had been looking at this Jan date back in December. Now DD price is $28 cheaper on this flight (so a savings of $6 off of buying at the airport $21 cheaper. I swear this was the standard $10 on cheaper when I checked previously.

Last edited by rhwbullhead; Jan 12, 20 at 1:30 am
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was pricing out some Frontier fares for a family member and the discount den savings are pretty random. For a Saturday flight back from Vegas, the DD savings was something like $45 one way. On another flight I was pricing to New Orleans, the savings was $3.

Personally, I took my family to PR over the Holidays and I had to buy DD to save about $45 per person. BTW, you can't book a DD for a family member if you, the DD holder, isn't travelling. Right?
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Looks like the round-trip orientation is also messing up booking for award RTs, though in that case it appears more straightforward if you just book two one-ways.

They've gotten zero bookings from me since starting this and I still haven't found anything positive about it from the customer perspective.

Heck, it could be the Internet equivalent of the old, old practice of airlines NOT quoting the lowest fare over the phone and seeing if people will still buy it. Maybe the hope is that mentally people have a figure in their head and the goal is to get as close to 100% of that as possible.

OTOH, that'd mostly apply to new customers, not those with a good idea of what to try to aim for based on time-of-year and history.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Heck, it could be the Internet equivalent of the old, old practice of airlines NOT quoting the lowest fare over the phone and seeing if people will still buy it. Maybe the hope is that mentally people have a figure in their head and the goal is to get as close to 100% of that as possible.

OTOH, that'd mostly apply to new customers, not those with a good idea of what to try to aim for based on time-of-year and history.
Well, I find that the average human is pretty bad at math and, let's face it, the average Frontier customer is not a math scholar. That said, while Frontier customers tend not to be card-carrying members of the elite, they seem to figure out how to game the Frontier system pretty quickly.. Either they like to save a buck, or don't have the bucks to spend. My guess is this convoluted roundtrip pricing experiment will fail -- unless, of course, they raise the one-way fares.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
My guess is this convoluted roundtrip pricing experiment will fail -- unless, of course, they raise the one-way fares.
I agree. But, if they raise the one-way fares, that removes their only competitive advantage (price). If the fare is the same or similar between F9 and Southwest, who wouldn't choose the option with free bags and a free drink?

Poor choice by someone at Frontier.
Old Jan 13, 20, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Keith Evans View Post
I agree. But, if they raise the one-way fares, that removes their only competitive advantage (price). If the fare is the same or similar between F9 and Southwest, who wouldn't choose the option with free bags and a free drink?
You get free drinks referring to pop?
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
You get free drinks referring to pop?
Well, soda, but yes.
Old Jan 13, 20, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keith Evans View Post

Poor choice by someone at Frontier.
Well, Frontier's fares often seem about half those of Southwest, so there could be plenty of wiggle room. Frontier could decide to make it a little more expensive to buy one way fares than roundtrips. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for them. For instance, in markets where they compete against major airlines, I have flown one way on Frontier and the other on the major carrier. I personally will always chose the major carrier if the fare differential is modest. I find the majors often match Frontier's fares, but not on as many flights. If I'm "locked into" a roundtrip, I'd probably slightly increase my Frontier flying.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like they also want to apply sales with a promo code (e.g. SAVE50) only to RTs as well . Also no click-through a lot of times from the homepage to see what routes a particular sale applies to (I highly doubt they're getting rid of route exclusions). It really appears as if they're either withholding info or trying to make you dig more for it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: