Cancelled Flight SRQ to TTN 1/4/20 NO HELP

Old Jan 4, 20, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Cancelled Flight SRQ to TTN 1/4/20 NO HELP

Okay, 1st experience with Frontier, not happy.

Had a 2:34pm flight today from Sarasota to Trenton.
Delayed because of weather issues on East Coast.

Flight delayed 2 or 3 times and then finally Cancelled. No agents to be found to help at all at the gate, only annoucements via the boards in airports and emails n my phone.

Went down to where they tag bags, no assitance there either. Called on Phone to Frontier and the only help they said is you will get a full refund on cancelled flight...........Woopie, alot of good that does it in finding flights help.

Completely worthless, left us on our own to find new flight to get back home. Finally booked United Airlines at 5:15pm flight into Newark Airport at around $500 for 2 one-way tickets. Then had to spend another $ 100 to Uber back to TTN airport to get our car.

This was out first time using Frontier and most likely our last with treatment like this.

So can anybody tell me just how Frontier handles cancellations of flights and just how they treat there customers?and how we go about getting our refund.

I assume the aircraft we were waiting for was flight #830 TTN to SRQ, that flight was also cancelled. That was a 10:30am flight and we were to be flight#831, SRQ back to TTN.

Signed Disgusted in NJ

Last edited by Jimbo3; Jan 4, 20 at 10:26 pm Reason: .
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jimbo3 View Post
Okay, 1st experience with Frontier, not happy.

Had a 2:34pm flight today from Sarasota to Trenton.
Delayed because of weather issues on East Coast.

Flight delayed 2 or 3 times and then finally Cancelled. No agents to be found to help at all at the gate, only annoucements via the boards in airports and emails n my phone.

Went down to where they tag bags, no assitance there either. Called on Phone to Frontier and the only help they said is you will get a full refund on cancelled flight...........Woopie, alot of good that does it in finding flights help.

Completely worthless, left us on our own to find new flight to get back home. Finally booked United Airlines at 5:15pm flight into Newark Airport at around $500 for 2 one-way tickets. Then had to spend another $ 100 to Uber back to TTN airport to get our car.

This was out first time using Frontier and most likely our last with treatment like this.

So can anybody tell me just how Frontier handles cancellations of flights and just how they treat there customers?and how we go about getting our refund.

I assume the aircraft we were waiting for was flight #830 TTN to SRQ, that flight was also cancelled. That was a 10:30am flight and we were to be flight#831, SRQ back to TTN.

Signed Disgusted in NJ
Like a number of lower-cost carriers, Frontier does not have interline agreements with other airlines that would protect you in the event of irregular operations. (Allegiant, JetBlue, and Southwest are similar, but the latter two have a lot more daily flights, and can often rebook you on their own metal.) This is a risk you accept when you fly carriers like Frontier. If you wish to continue to fly Frontier to realize their cost savings, you might look into the low-cost insurance offered by this company:

https://www.getfreebird.com/travelers

I expect that your refund will be processed automatically, unless you receive an email indicating that they have rebooked you on their SRQ-TTN on a new date. If you get such an email, call Frontier again, and request a refund. As a last resort, you can file a dispute with your credit-card issuer, but make sure that you have a printout or screenshot from Frontier's website showing that your flight was cancelled.

Good luck!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And by the way, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation -- and don't have Freebird protection -- check UA fares to ZFV (30th Street Station, Philadelphia), and not just to EWR. UA sells tickets to ZFV that involve a train connection at EWR Airport Rail Station on Amtrak. Sometimes -- not always -- those fares are lower than UA's fares to EWR alone. And all Amtrak trains from EWR to ZFV also stop at the Trenton train station.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:33 am

Hi -

I love people that like the low fares on a ULCC and then get pissed when IRROPS occur.

One would think people would ask themselves why they are sooo much cheaper than other carriers and what risks go along with that.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
And by the way, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation -- and don't have Freebird protection -- check UA fares to ZFV (30th Street Station, Philadelphia), and not just to EWR. UA sells tickets to ZFV that involve a train connection at EWR Airport Rail Station on Amtrak. Sometimes -- not always -- those fares are lower than UA's fares to EWR alone. And all Amtrak trains from EWR to ZFV also stop at the Trenton train station.
I think we saw that option too, But I believe it was higher and even thought timewise it would take longer then a Uber which there was plenty of Uber drivers at EWR.

Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
Hi -

I love people that like the low fares on a ULCC and then get pissed when IRROPS occur.

One would think people would ask themselves why they are sooo much cheaper than other carriers and what risks go along with that.
It wasn't exactly a cheap roundtrip when you include all the extra that were added onto the ticket, seat charge and carry-on bag charge..........for 2 tickets round trip to Sarasota from Trenton came to $533.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Like a number of lower-cost carriers, Frontier does not have interline agreements with other airlines that would protect you in the event of irregular operations. (Allegiant, JetBlue, and Southwest are similar, but the latter two have a lot more daily flights, and can often rebook you on their own metal.) This is a risk you accept when you fly carriers like Frontier. If you wish to continue to fly Frontier to realize their cost savings, you might look into the low-cost insurance offered by this company:

https://www.getfreebird.com/travelers

I expect that your refund will be processed automatically, unless you receive an email indicating that they have rebooked you on their SRQ-TTN on a new date. If you get such an email, call Frontier again, and request a refund. As a last resort, you can file a dispute with your credit-card issuer, but make sure that you have a printout or screenshot from Frontier's website showing that your flight was cancelled.

Good luck!

What does this mean on the GetFreebird site?

To register your trip, all you have to do is go to GetFreebird.com, enter your already-purchased flight itinerary, then add your contact details and TSA-required traveler information so Freebird can rebook you in case of a flight disruption.

That just means the full name of the passengers right that match your ID for tickets needed if it get to that right, Not TSA Pre right?
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does this mean on the GetFreebird site?

To register your trip, all you have to do is go to GetFreebird.com, enter your already-purchased flight itinerary, then add your contact details and TSA-required traveler information so Freebird can rebook you in case of a flight disruption.

That just means the full name of the passengers right that match your ID for tickets needed if it get to that right, Not TSA Pre right?
I've never used Freebird, but since not everyone has TSA-Pre, I would not think that you would be required to provide your TSA-Pre number to Freebird unless you wanted them to provide it to the carrier that they rebook you on. But you might be required to provide gender and DOB, if TSA requires that data.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line for OP is that he will be refunded his F9 tickets and should submit the extra expenses incurred (UA tickets + Uber) to his travel insurance or, he chose not to insure, absorb the loss.

This is the world of ULCC's which are, as he found out, not so L and certainly not U. No interline ticketing agreements means few (or no) alternatives. No spare aircraft and crew and few frequencies also means no alternatives.

This leaves one in the position of having to purchase new tickets at walk-up prices and, if the F9 flight was to an out-of-the-way airport, local ground transport as well.

Best to assess all of this upfront and understand that the cheapest trip is not always the least expensive.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Can someone tell me how to find out how many flights on all airlines were canceled on the East Coast yesterday because of weather either in the Florida area or the NorthEast?
Would like to know if this was a real weather issue or not or a mechanical issue or lack of crew problem.

Does anyone have a name or address of someone at Frontier to write to?
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Looks like the aircraft comes from Trenton inbound there Comes from RDU got diverted to PHL.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:02 pm

Not going to help you even if F9 cancelled the flight because the engines fell off the aircraft. Not worth the effort.

Read, Section 18(C) of the contract you agreed to and you will see that it is markedly different from what real carriers provide. Bottom line is that the best you get is a reroute on F9 or a refund. There were no other flights, so a refund it was. No rebooking on other carriers, no reimbursements for ground transport and had you been stuck overnight, no hotels or meals.

Al you can do if you fly F9 is to insure, insure, insure or be prepared to eat the loss.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Looks like the aircraft comes from Trenton inbound there Comes from RDU got diverted to PHL.

On the phone they said because it was weather related there was no reimbrusing for anything besides cost of ticket, but looks like now that wasn't the case so where is the proof it was diverted, where do I find that?
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Planes can divert do to weather....

Trenton Airport is a very small commercial airport. 90% of the flights there are general aviation.

I doubt they have an ILS approach system set up at TTN where they do at PHL this allows planes to land in much worse weather conditions than a visual approach like you'd use at TTN.

These are all variables when flying something like F9 out of a place like TTN.

I would not put a lot of effort into this F9 is not going to do much to help you here. It's just how it is when you fly them or Spirit.

As mentioned above get the insurance for trips like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:58 pm

On the phone they said because it was weather related there was no reimbrusing for anything besides cost of ticket, but looks like now that wasn't the case so where is the proof it was diverted, where do I find that?
It's possible that F9 lied to you. But, there is no reason. As noted in #11 , it doesn't change F9's obligations, so why do it? More importantly, it won't change anything for you, so why spend hours researching something which gets you nothing?

Most likely reason for a diversion from TTN to PHL is weather (it's only 44 miles) and the flight was inbound from RDU.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
F9 had lots of disruptions in Florida on 1/4. Out of TPA, most flights were delayed by hours, and TPA-ORD, and TPA-ISP eventually cancelled after midnight due to inbound aircraft from ORD (that had the ISP crew on it as well) going AWOL (probably mechanical, as it was initially delayed by ~3 hours, then taxiing, then back to a gate, then cancelled). Very little info from the agents, had to hound one the next day (after buying expensive one-way tickets on another airline) to get any kind of information.

Interestingly, decent compensation was offered (either refund of unused portion + $500 voucher per passenger, or reimbursement of alternative flights up to $500 per passenger). You may want to ask Frontier about transportation reimbursement in your case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: