Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Which airline would you choose?

I probably can guess the answer to this question but I'd figure I'd ask for the heck of it.

I am flying to NYC on March 14th. I have never flown Frontier before. They are significantly cheaper than any other airline this day. Even Spirit is twice as expensive. No idea why. I can book a stretch seat on Frontier to EWR (red eye) with the priority boarding, bag, etc. for approximately $90 less than a regular JetBlue (JFK) seat. For an exit row or premium seat on Jetblue would be $160 more than Frontier.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Sometimes the bundles can be a good deal depending on your needs. Normally for a long haul like ATL-LAS-ATL I get the best deals on 75% off (or higher) sales, but if you're traveling in the holiday period then supply/demand could be against you and airlines will be trying to get top dollar. So if it's a good deal you probably want to grab it. The biggest gripes against Frontier and other ULCCs versus the legacies are the seat pitch (though legacies are downsizing as well) and having to pay for all but the smallest carry-ons (legacies will charge for checked bags as well). If those bases are covered by the bundle then you're down to the $2.99 soft drinks (and on Frontier, unlike Spirit, you can get a cup of ice water free)

Last edited by RustyC; Dec 24, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'm mostly concerned about Frontier being unreliable and not being able to get another flight. I would bundle everything and still make out better on Frontier money-wise but I'm worried about reliability.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by jennj99738
Thanks for the information. I'm mostly concerned about Frontier being unreliable and not being able to get another flight. I would bundle everything and still make out better on Frontier money-wise but I'm worried about reliability.
Their typical day for an aircraft is tightly booked and there's a ripple effect if a segment is late (usually from ATC or weather). I've had good luck with them (knock on wood) and don't think they're more likely than others to have to cancel due to weather or mechanical problems.

The problem - as is well-documented here - is that their tickets aren't good on other airlines. Same goes for Spirit. They do have a thing with reimbursements up to $500 one way to book someone else if the cancellation is clearly their fault (I once had that with an ATL-LAS mechanical-problem one), but if they can play the weather card they will.

It helps greatly if you have some routing redundancy. If you check availability with an eye toward booking the non-stop but see other connecting possibilities (such as via DEN or MCO), those *might* be what you could get as an alternative if there were a problem. A route like ATL-LAS that also has connecting possibilities is a safer bet than something like ATL-RNO where the DEN-RNO has thin frequency.

The people in the worst situations are ones on routes they might serve only 3 times a week and lacking other options. And also at the highest-demand periods where everything's full. But I've only run into this sort of thing 1 to 2% of the time, maybe.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I would take the risk but that is me. Another option is flight insurance via credit card or something like freebird. https://www.getfreebird.com/

Last edited by MileHighColorado; Dec 26, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
F9's operational unreliability and its lack of interline agreements make it a no go for me other than in situations where there is no other choice or the trip is insignificant.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I would that the risk but that is me. Another option is flight insurance via credit card or something like freebird. https://www.getfreebird.com/
I've never heard of Freebird. That sounds like a great investment if I book Frontier (or any LCC). Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by Often1
F9's operational unreliability and its lack of interline agreements make it a no go for me other than in situations where there is no other choice or the trip is insignificant.
This and the sheer torture of what the seat width looks like compared to other airlines, especially JetBlue. But $200 is not insignificant either.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Yes my kids told they refuse to sit in the hard seats .... good thing I have status now and get the stretch seating....
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
Yes my kids told they refuse to sit in the hard seats .... good thing I have status now and get the stretch seating....
Are the stretch seats any different than the regular seats other than the legroom?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jennj99738
Are the stretch seats any different than the regular seats other than the legroom?
They recline a little.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot comprehend why anyone would buy a Frontier "bundle" or anything else from them. If you don't get an absurdly low airfare (think 1/4th of any nonstop competitor) and can't survive with just a free "backpack," fly another airline. Or don't make the trip. Seriously, this is not a good airline experience. What it is is an excellent value on barebones air travel if you play the game correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.