Search

Spoiled DL Diamond flying Frontier for 1st Time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Spoiled (& Clueless) DL Diamond flying Frontier for 1st Time

OK - I'll admit it...
I am a somewhat "spolied" DL Diamond/1MM who doesn't really fly anyone else when I am on traveling domestic (and lots of Internaltional too) - or at least I stick to Skyteam mostly..

I just bought a new car though at a dealer in CVG and have to buy a last minute ticket ATL - CVG to go pick it up and drive home within 2 days. The DL fares are $300 + to CVG and there is ONE Frontier flight for $64 that works time-wise. I just can't justify spending that much to fly on SUCH a short flight, so I think I will buy the Frontier ticket. However, I am a total nobody on Frontier (and probably will keep it that way ), but I am so clueless about what to do flying this airline.

I have clear and precheck, but can I use them? HOw do you board? Bags? (I got to take a carry on rollaboard and a laptop bag)? I don;t really care about a seat on such a short flight, so I guess I will just take what they give me, but what else should I know/do? Thanks!

Last edited by resolute; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
There really isn't anything much different about boarding a Frontier flight, it goes by zone like most airlines.

Add your TTN number when booking for Pre-Check.

Pay for your carry-on bag when booking as well (laptop bag is a free personal item) and a seat if you want, the carry-on is actually more expensive than a checked bag but I don't think you want to hang around a carousel to save a few bucks.
resolute likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:00 am

Given the short trip you may not even need a roller bag. Many people fly with just a back pack.
resolute and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

So I bought ticket and checked in - it assigned me to (of course!!) a middle seat near back of plane - but it took my Precheck #, so glad I can use that and CLEAR at ATL at least. Can you change at the gate if other seats are still available, or just get on at the very end and take anything still open (assuming you know you are the last person - ie, wait until the agent closes the gate door behind you..)?? From the seat map, it looks like the flight is not full - and it leaves at 8 AM on a Sunday morning!
Do you run the risk of them running out of overhead bin space for rollerboards? IF so, what do they do - check it for free, if you paid for the carry on?

Oh, and is Zone 1 (what I got) REALLY first to board, or is it like DL where it is number 4 or 5 to board?
Thanks for the info so far!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Zone 1 is close enough to the first to board that you won't run out of space. Particularly since you'll be toward the back of the plane and thus will be one of the first to sit down there. The overhead bins are standard A320 style rather than the bigger bins DL has retrofitted, but the nice thing about charging for carry-ons is bins will fill up a bit more slowly all else equal.

As for seating, after the boarding door closes you may be able to move around a bit. For future reference, checking in later actually works to your advantage as seats are "randomly" assigned back to front (so last minute buyers can pay for better seats for as long as possible, I guess). As fair warning, while middle seats are wide (as much as 19"), you're looking at 28" pitch for most of the aircraft, with no recline and a sad excuse for a tray table. But the fact that the seats are Slimline (and IFE box-less) means that legroom is less horrible than you'd expect. I have avoided the cheap seats since booking into them once, but that's as much due to lack of tray tables and recline as anything else.

Post a trip report when you're back in CVG; will be interesting to see what stands out to you most on your experience
resolute likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

OK- thanks so much for the info... Funny how even for a short flight like this, I am kind of dreading it (hence my honest "spolied" self-describing adjective ) In fact, I hated the thought of the middle seat so much on an unknown ULCC that I just broke down and bought the exit row aisle for $29!. And then realized that to have a checked bag it would only cost me another $20 or so (by buying the "perks" package).. Did I mention, I am a baggage hog? That's probably my number 1 loved benefit at DL - 3 checked 70 lb bags anywhere in US and Canada, which I use quite often. I often travel with a snowboard and a bunch of clothes. I travel a LOT, so I want a broad choice of clothes when I want them and don't really want to have to think about what to wear whenever. And when my wife and I travel together, its doubly worse! So, even just on a 2 day trip to Cinci, I now feel so much better knowing I will have an aisle exit row AND at least a few things I want to bring in my checked bag, in addition to laptop and other stuff in my carry ons that I need to work through the day... We will see how this goes - hoping for the best... but I have read all the horror stories!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Keep thinking about the car......
resolute likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:24 am

Because they charge more for carry on bags than checked bags the bins are always fairly empty.
KBMIFlyer and resolute like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Frontier generally has a better overhead bin situation because of charging for that. With the legacies these days you stand a great chance of getting force-checked if in one of the later zones.

I was GM or higher on DL for a little over half the 25 years I was GM or higher on one legacy or another every year (and still have the 1MM with DL), but of course the upgrades and status requalifying are MUCH harder on DL than they used to be, especially if you were self-funded like I was,

Frontier is actually very tolerable and compared favorably to the legacies starting at 20K status and especially at 50K and up. At 50K you can pick a stretch seat or exit row for free at the time of booking, You can also take the regular carry-on at no charge, and they waive the award booking fees so you can book 2 or 3 days ahead for a 10K seat if they still have it. You do have to pay for any checked bags or soft drinks onboard.

I tend to really bottom-fish the fares in low seasons...a fave last year was ATL-SLC-ATL at $58 RT. LAS can go as low as $78 RT (though not in high summer). Phoenix went as low as $40 RT last year but it was 109 degrees when I arrived.

I'll be flying Delta soon for ATL-MCI on a basic economy award and am really dreading it, even with lifetime silver benefits. I've only flown them one other time since 2015, so I get to compare memories of how it was vs. now. Am glad I burned most of my DL/AA/UA miles, as they're worth a lot less now.
resolute likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

OK - so I survived! LOL

Trip report from my perspective...

Arrived at ATL on a Sunday morning at 6:30AM (about 90 minutes early from flight time) with 1 bag to check, 1 carry on bag and 1 personal item. The check in line (or rather "bag drop" line had 5-6 parties ahead of me, but it moved at an acceptable pace - there seemed to be 3-4 clerks working both the bag drop line and the "need help?" line. By the time was at the front the "Need Help" clerk (who apparently did ticketing/reservation changes, etc.) had no one waiting and waived me over. I had pre-printed my boarding pass (was scared they would charge me $25 or so if I hadn't ) and handed it to her. It listed my pre-check status, 1 carry on bag on it. She took my checked bag, which I had not bothered to weigh, but was hoping was under 50 lbs, and did not say anything (as I ALWAYS seem to get the orange "Heavy" tag of shame at DL.. I just leave one on there sometimes so they don't have to retag if it's still in good shape - they just cross out the weight and write the new weight LOL), She tagged it to CVG, put the sticker on the bag (in case the tag rips off - good!) and sent it on its way.. She actually printed my boarding pass on one of the "cards" and gave it to me without trying to charge me anything - so that was good!

I went to the CLEAR line over by the DL side of the terminal - the normal precheck line was actually pretty long and the CLEAR line was deserted at this time, so that was a good thing. The CLEAR kiosk accepted the Frontier boarding pass just fine with my fingerprints and I was on my way quickly through security - 1st big test passed just fine!

Went to Concourse D to Gate D-1 (waaaay down at the end..) with plenty of time to spare from scheduled departure. I passed by the Skyclub and decided to pop in to have a drink and morning snack. Pulled up the DL app and got my electronic Diamond card from my wallet ready to scan. The agents gave me the usual semi-friendly greeting and I asked if I could use my electronic card for entry which they said yes. So I put it under the scanner and it takes it and they greet me by name, but then say "hmm, we don't see an itinerary", to which I cheerily reply, "Oh yes, I am on another airline today". Then I become person non grata and they point to the dreaded "rule" list handily displayed in a picture frame on the counter.. "Thou must be traveling the same day on Delta to use the Skyclub, no matter what your status is.." So I tell them, see you another day and head on out to buy my latte somewhere else (it actually was a better latte though than those DL machines make anyway.. )...

Get to the gate and see that they are already showing a 25 minute delay time for departure. Plane I am on is a red-eye coming in from Vegas and continuing to CVG from ATL. So I hang out until boarding. Boarding was pretty easy and I was actually surprised I was the first person on the plane after the wheelchairs. They called wheelchairs (there were 2-3) and then Elites (there actually were NONE - never seen that before!) and then Zone 1 in quick succession.. So I head down the jetway and get to the bottom where the wheelchairs had come to an abrupt stop because someone was still bagging and removing garbage bags from the plane through the entrance door (never seen that on DL - as they usually take it out the catering door on the opposite side of the plane and it is usually fully done before they board anyone..) - we end up waiting about 10 minutes or so (pilots were actually waiting with us to get on..). Meanwhile the jetway is continuing to fill up with all the remaining passengers - no one stopped boarding, but everyone seemed pretty agreeable, patient, etc.). Finally they finish, and we board. I had selected an exit row aisle seat which I go to and sit in. Everyone else continues boarding, with a heavy concentration of people at the rear of the cabin. Everyone boards, door closes and I still have 2 empty seats beside me - SCORE!! Also the opposite exit row is only occupied by one person on the aisle as well.

So regarding the overhead bin space (which concerned me being a DL flyer - where even F sometimes has no bin space..): I was pleasantly surprised to see how slowly the bins seemed to fill. I took both a backpack and rollaboard bag. When I sat down, I placed both in the bin, figuring if things got REALLY crowded, I would retrieve the backpack and put under the seat in front of me. But, if I can have the extra leg room, why not? Well, not only did the bin not fill up, but my things were the only two items in it. I was not sure how much the Flight Attendants would "police" the bin loading to make sure you were only placing one item in them, but they didn't seem to really pay much attention. Apparently all the enforcement on how many bags and if you paid for them is left to the Gate Agent.

Flight was quick and uneventful - I believe they asked if you wanted a snack or drink, but I don't think I recall anyone actually buying anything. We land, taxi to gate and door opens fairly quickly. Little bit of a wait to deplane, but being in the middle of the plane it was no worse than any other time I can recall on any other airline..

Go to the bag claim to retrieve my bag and had to wait for what seemed like about 20 minutes for first bags to arrive - this seemed to be the lowest point of the whole trip - other than flight departing about 30 mins late. But my bag arrived fine - I get it and head to pick up my rental car. Trip accomplished for significantly less $ than on DL. But of course, no F upgrade to be had, no MQMs, or MQDs, no Skyclub or quick bag delivery. But on this particular trip on a Sunday morning, I really didn't care that much. So Frontier has it's place for sure. Just buy a good seat and a bag or two and you are good...

SO - what CAN I do now as the proud new owner of 500 frontier miles anyway??

Last edited by resolute; Jul 3, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by resolute
I dunno if any magazines go for that low, but if you do a car rent with someone like Hertz and have it credited to Frontier it'd probably get you in the ballpark for a magazine subscription. Frontier is too aggressive about expiring miles otherwise.

Thanks for posting...your experience looks typical. It's good they carry the PreCheck (I remember when they didn't...they were one of the last to adopt). ATL-CVG is so short the service can be shortened, but for longer flights it's more of a thing, They do have the "hurry up and wait" experience a lot when boarding but in general have the schedules set without much margin for delays, so when those do happen due to weather, ATC or whatever, there's inevitably a ripple.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OK - so I survived! LOL

Trip report from my perspective...

Arrived at ATL on a Sunday morning at 6:30AM (about 90 minutes early from flight time) with 1 bag to check, 1 carry on bag and 1 personal item. The check in line (or rather "bag drop" line had 5-6 parties ahead of me, but it moved at an acceptable pace - there seemed to be 3-4 clerks working both the bag drop line and the "need help?" line. By the time was at the front the "Need Help" clerk (who apparently did ticketing/reservation changes, etc.) had no one waiting and waived me over. I had pre-printed my boarding pass (was scared they would charge me $25 or so if I hadn't ) and handed it to her. It listed my pre-check status, 1 carry on bag on it. She took my checked bag, which I had not bothered to weigh, but was hoping was under 50 lbs, and did not say anything (as I ALWAYS seem to get the orange "Heavy" tag of shame at DL.. I just leave one on there sometimes so they don't have to retag if it's still in good shape - they just cross out the weight and write the new weight LOL), She tagged it to CVG, put the sticker on the bag (in case the tag rips off - good!) and sent it on its way.. She actually printed my boarding pass on one of the "cards" and gave it to me without trying to charge me anything - so that was good!

I went to the CLEAR line over by the DL side of the terminal - the normal precheck line was actually pretty long and the CLEAR line was deserted at this time, so that was a good thing. The CLEAR kiosk accepted the Frontier boarding pass just fine with my fingerprints and I was on my way quickly through security - 1st big test passed just fine!

Went to Concourse D to Gate D-1 (waaaay down at the end..) with plenty of time to spare from scheduled departure. I passed by the Skyclub and decided to pop in to have a drink and morning snack. Pulled up the DL app and got my electronic Diamond card from my wallet ready to scan. The agents gave me the usual semi-friendly greeting and I asked if I could use my electronic card for entry which they said yes. So I put it under the scanner and it takes it and they greet me by name, but then say "hmm, we don't see an itinerary", to which I cheerily reply, "Oh yes, I am on another airline today". Then I become person non grata and they point to the dreaded "rule" list handily displayed in a picture frame on the counter.. "Thou must be traveling the same day on Delta to use the Skyclub, no matter what your status is.." So I tell them, see you another day and head on out to buy my latte somewhere else (it actually was a better latte though than those DL machines make anyway.. )...

Get to the gate and see that they are already showing a 25 minute delay time for departure. Plane I am on is a red-eye coming in from Vegas and continuing to CVG from ATL. So I hang out until boarding. Boarding was pretty easy and I was actually surprised I was the first person on the plane after the wheelchairs. They called wheelchairs (there were 2-3) and then Elites (there actually were NONE - never seen that before!) and then Zone 1 in quick succession.. So I head down the jetway and get to the bottom where the wheelchairs had come to an abrupt stop because someone was still bagging and removing garbage bags from the plane through the entrance door (never seen that on DL - as they usually take it out the catering door on the opposite side of the plane and it is usually fully done before they board anyone..) - we end up waiting about 10 minutes or so (pilots were actually waiting with us to get on..). Meanwhile the jetway is continuing to fill up with all the remaining passengers - no one stopped boarding, but everyone seemed pretty agreeable, patient, etc.). Finally they finish, and we board. I had selected an exit row aisle seat which I go to and sit in. Everyone else continues boarding, with a heavy concentration of people at the rear of the cabin. Everyone boards, door closes and I still have 2 empty seats beside me - SCORE!! Also the opposite exit row is only occupied by one person on the aisle as well.

So regarding the overhead bin space (which concerned me being a DL flyer - where even F sometimes has no bin space..): I was pleasantly surprised to see how slowly the bins seemed to fill. I took both a backpack and rollaboard bag. When I sat down, I placed both in the bin, figuring if things got REALLY crowded, I would retrieve the backpack and put under the seat in front of me. But, if I can have the extra leg room, why not? Well, not only did the bin not fill up, but my things were the only two items in it. I was not sure how much the Flight Attendants would "police" the bin loading to make sure you were only placing one item in them, but they didn't seem to really pay much attention. Apparently all the enforcement on how many bags and if you paid for them is left to the Gate Agent.

Flight was quick and uneventful - I believe they asked if you wanted a snack or drink, but I don't think I recall anyone actually buying anything. We land, taxi to gate and door opens fairly quickly. Little bit of a wait to deplane, but being in the middle of the plane it was no worse than any other time I can recall on any other airline..

Go to the bag claim to retrieve my bag and had to wait for what seemed like about 20 minutes for first bags to arrive - this seemed to be the lowest point of the whole trip - other than flight departing about 30 mins late. But my bag arrived fine - I get it and head to pick up my rental car. Trip accomplished for significantly less $ than on DL. But of course, no F upgrade to be had, no MQMs, or MQDs, no Skyclub or quick bag delivery. But on this particular trip on a Sunday morning, I really didn't care that much. So Frontier has it's place for sure. Just buy a good seat and a bag or two and you are good...

Nice review. I have flown F9 in limited cases and they definitely have their place - especially when they are a lot less last minute and you aren't taking much and its not a long flight.

I wouldn't fly them ATL-SLC like someone else posted unless there was no other choice, but ATL-MIA or ATL-CVG is serviceable. ATL-DEN is pushing it.

Anyways, I've never paid for a seat on Frontier. Sometimes, if I bought the ticket at the airport, the ticketing agent is nice and assigns me a nice seat. I usually never ask and it usually doesn't happen, but it has happened before without me asking.

I always try to check in towards the end of the check in window given how they assign seats. This has always given me good seats on them. Once I had a bad seat and I nicely asked a GA to change and it wasn't a problem and there wasn't a fee.

I usually bring a nice-sized Tumi duffel as my personal item and its no problem. Only the GA enforces the bag rules and not FAs, every time every station. I have rarely seen them give anyone a problem about a personal item as long as it is soft-sided and doesn't have wheels. As soon as your item has wheels, it goes into carry-on territory and the possibility of a charge.

Most F9 agents I have encountered are nice enough and professional, especially given their cost and my expectation as such. It's definitely not scary to fly them and in many ways (boarding, on-board service, etc) they are quite efficient.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:03 pm

couple of quirky thing about F9 miles is they still award miles based on miles flown, not $ spent. The miles expire after 6 months of no activity. If you think you'll ever use them again, it's worth using them for a car rental/super shuttle/hotel bonus or something like that to reset the clock on your 6 months.
And if you can stand to do a longer flight with them, you can get to the 10K free flight pretty easy
their prices even with add-ons are hard to beat, but you do have to sacrifice a visit to the club. These days though, there can be such a huge difference I'll just get my own snacks
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
couple of quirky thing about F9 miles is they still award miles based on miles flown, not $ spent. The miles expire after 6 months of no activity. If you think you'll ever use them again, it's worth using them for a car rental/super shuttle/hotel bonus or something like that to reset the clock on your 6 months.
Only Accruing miles resets the expiration date. From their FAQ:

All earned miles are subject to expiration if the account does not have accrual activity at least once every 180 days or 6 months. Accruals consist of miles earned by flying on Frontier, using your Frontier World Mastercard or by providing your FRONTIER Miles number with any of our earning partners. Redemption's or negative transactions do not qualify as accrual activity. To see an all-inclusive list of earning partners, please click here.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 10, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Maybe I misunderstood, or better yet maybe LovePrunes miswrote. If you EARN miles with a car rental/super shuttle/hotel bonus you can reset the clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.