Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reimbursement for cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Those statistics, bad as they are, do not paint the full bad story. Legacy carriers have interline agreements. F9 does not. This means that if your F9 flight is delayed, you may cancel for a refund or wait however many days it may be until there is availability. It is not only the fact that cancellations and delays happen, it is what the operating carrier does about them. In F9's case, it is nothing.
People keep touting interline agreements as if they are magic. Legacy airlines don't routinely interline passengers and those they do are generally high status passengers.

The real weakness of smaller carriers is the lack of frequency. Southwest has no Interline agreements but does have decent frequency between cities, although often with a connection.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
People keep touting interline agreements as if they are magic. Legacy airlines don't routinely interline passengers and those they do are generally high status passengers.

The real weakness of smaller carriers is the lack of frequency. Southwest has no Interline agreements but does have decent frequency between cities, although often with a connection.
Interline agreements most certainly serve a purpose. While most carriers won't reroute OA for non-status passengers as a matter of routine, they will do it when delays pile up to the 4-5 hour range. Those with high-end corporate TAs can also have the TA force the reroute. The F9 problem is that it doesn't matter if the delay is 2 hours or 2 days

The point about lack of backup equipment (and crew) is well taken. UA, AA, or DL can scrounge up something given time. F9 doesn't have a spare aircraft lying around. So if 2-3 flights are cancelled, those people sit or they're on an 18-hour bus ride or they shell out of pocket for a new ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:43 am

Interline agreements most certainly serve a purpose. While most carriers won't reroute OA for non-status passengers as a matter of routine they will do it when delays pile up to the 4-5 hour range. Those with high-end corporate TAs can also have the TA force the reroute. The F9 problem is that it doesn't matter if the delay is 2 hours or 2 days
The bolding is exactly my point.

I consider myself self insured. If necessary I can buy a walkup fare on another airline and still be ahead because of the money I've saved over the years.

I've only had to do that once. On a few occasions I have delayed my departure overnight due to a problem. My wife on the other hand has been stuck overnight on a legacy due to a snowstorm in Cleveland.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sadie Mae Mitchell
Has anyone actually received a reimbursement check?I think as quiet as it’s kept, this is a good, d fashioned scam.

Yes. I received my reimbursement check. It took time and longer than they said it would, but it did eventually arrive. Probably took about 2 months after I filled out their form and sent the receipts via their website.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

legacy airlines will rebook all passengers if a option is available on another airline and they have a agreement if they can’t get them there same day. SWA does not have a interline agreement but has something similar. They pay by check on the spot to rebook passengers if needed at a negotiated rate. I have seen them move 30 passengers at once. They cut a check for all 30 to the gaining airline.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:07 am

Interline agreements most certainly serve a purpose. While most carriers won't reroute OA for non-status passengers as a matter of routine, they will do it when delays pile up to the 4-5 hour range. Those with high-end corporate TAs can also have the TA force the reroute. The F9 problem is that it doesn't matter if the delay is 2 hours or 2 days

The point about lack of backup equipment (and crew) is well taken. UA, AA, or DL can scrounge up something given time. F9 doesn't have a spare aircraft lying around. So if 2-3 flights are cancelled, those people sit or they're on an 18-hour bus ride or they shell out of pocket for a new ticket.
F9 does have several spare airframes currently. In fact they made a big announcement about increasing spares. What they did not say is they have no pilots to fly them so they pulled them off the schedule until training can catch up.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:55 am

Cool CANCELLED FLIGHT! NO NOTIFICATION! REFUND NOT PROCESSED! STRANDED IN MCO Feb 18, 2019

Unable to check-in on line within 24 hours of departure. Frontier Airlines had exited the market without notifying me and was no longer flying the route for the entire month of Feb 2019.Payment Date 10/16/2018 Payment Amount $132.40.

Frontier Confirmation
Flight Departure Arrival Duration
F9 1175
06:30 AM
ORLANDO, FL (MCO)
08:51 AM
PITTSBURGH, PA (PIT)
2hr 21min
Non Stop
Passenger Names Seats Bags Special Services

Redacted by me for confidentiality

INVOICE
SUMMARY
Airfare $52.10
Options $0.00
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees $80.30

GRAND TOTAL $132.40

TOTAL $132.40

Payment Date 10/16/2018
Payment Amount $132.40
*** Approved

Missed work without pay! Incurred two nights hotel expenses at MCO airport hotels plus meals for two days. Paid $545.98 to book alternate airline 1 stop flight MCO to PIT on Feb 19 with 2+ hours layover + airline fees, meals and parking overage for vehicle at PIT. Frontier agent (woman, Alex in the Philippines hung up on me) when I requested Feb 17 that Frontier protect me on another carrier since Frontier can celled w/o notice.

Frontier response:

I apologize that you were not provided with the most up to date information regarding your flight. That is certainly a reasonable expectation and it sounds like we could have been more proactive in keeping passengers updated.
Frontier Airlines does have a text and email notification service that passengers opt in for this at the time of booking their reservations on www.flyfrontier.com.

My research shows we sent a flight delay email to XXXXXXX on October 29 and November 11, 2018. We apologize if you did not receive this notice. Depending on your email settings, it may have gone to your Junk Mail folder.

Respectfully, we are not able to grant reimbursement requests due to major schedule changes. I know changes to your plans can be frustrating and although schedule changes are an industry practice, here at Frontier Airlines we make every effort to minimize these changes. Some updates are necessary for operational purposes, and can even reduce costs. We appreciate your cooperation as these changes will allow us to pass the savings on to our customers by continuing to offer the lowest fares in the industry.

My note; I did provide Frontier both a valid email address and smart phone number. The reason Frontier's notifications to XXXXX did not reach me, is that Frontier sent it to the wrong Email address by omitting the first letter, MXXXXXXX .

Any suggestions how to collect my additional expenses from Frontier would be welcome, even it means legal claim against them in a court of law. Missed work without pay! Incurred two nights hotel expenses at MCO airport hotels plus meals for two days. Paid $545.98 to book alternate airline 1 stop flight MCO to PIT on Feb 19 with 2+ hours layover + airline fees, meals and parking overage for vehicle at PIT. Arrived Exhausted and ill after ordeal! what is the most effective path and with whom do I file a complaint for this abusive practice?
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
F9 owes you a refund of $132.40 to your original form of payment such as a credit card. If you have not done so, request that. That is because the flight did not operate. Anything else is a consequential loss and expressly not covered by the contract you agreed to. Hopefully you hedged the cheap ticket price with travel insurance which should, if it is comrprehensive, everything other than lost wages. Some policies may have a simple per day loss coverage which would defray some of that.

There are many reasons to avoid F9 like the plague, this is a good example. When things go right, there is no need of high quality service and interline agreements. When it goes wrong, that is where ticket value kicks in.

Not to chastise OP, but for the benefit of others, one should always regularly check the status of one's e-tickets. Things go wrong and being proactive can make resolving problems easier and a lot cheaper.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 26, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:53 pm

We bought the trip insurance from Frontier and it's useless. They cancelled 2 flights on us, which resulted in extra costs of car rental and overnight hotel. I called the travel insurance and they told me that Frontier is responsible for dealing with the costs of the cancellation. What kind of insurance is that? I am going to file for a reimbursement with Frontier, but I don't have high hopes. So basically Frontier will not pay up and the travel insurance will not pay up. I would advice people not to waste money on the insurance you can buy from the Frontier website when booking and better get one that also pays when the airline cancels its own flight. As last resort, if Frontier doesn't pay, I will try the credit card company. It's just crazy, next time I will spend some extra money and fly with a more reputable airline.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by _FlyingDutchman_
We bought the trip insurance from Frontier and it's useless. They cancelled 2 flights on us, which resulted in extra costs of car rental and overnight hotel. I called the travel insurance and they told me that Frontier is responsible for dealing with the costs of the cancellation. What kind of insurance is that? I am going to file for a reimbursement with Frontier, but I don't have high hopes. So basically Frontier will not pay up and the travel insurance will not pay up. I would advice people not to waste money on the insurance you can buy from the Frontier website when booking and better get one that also pays when the airline cancels its own flight. As last resort, if Frontier doesn't pay, I will try the credit card company. It's just crazy, next time I will spend some extra money and fly with a more reputable airline.
Please report back after your have filed with Frontier.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Mrs dwcatty had a F9 flight cancelled this past Sunday, BDL-RDU. At the airport they gave her a letter offering to refund her fare + an additional $500 in F9 travel vouchers, or they would reimburse her up to $400 for travel with another airline + a $100 F9 voucher. She chose what was behind door #3 instead, going out of security to the Frontier check in counter where she rebooked with F9 on their next available flight, today (Tuesday).

This (door #3 ) does not appear to be one of the options anticipated in the letter she received. So far she has received an email with a code for a $100 credit, and a second email with an incident number advising that she would be receiving a voucher within 30 days.

When she called me Sunday and I checked on line, the Tuesday BDL-RDU flight was available for purchase for $68, and with her seat assignment, checked bag charge, taxes and fees the total was probably about $10 more than what she had originally paid. Mrs dwcatty thinks she's going to get a $400 voucher on top of the $100 voucher (credit) she has already received. Is that right?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Mrs dwcatty had a F9 flight cancelled this past Sunday, BDL-RDU. At the airport they gave her a letter offering to refund her fare + an additional $500 in F9 travel vouchers, or they would reimburse her up to $400 for travel with another airline + a $100 F9 voucher. She chose what was behind door #3 instead, going out of security to the Frontier check in counter where she rebooked with F9 on their next available flight, today (Tuesday).

This (door #3 ) does not appear to be one of the options anticipated in the letter she received. So far she has received an email with a code for a $100 credit, and a second email with an incident number advising that she would be receiving a voucher within 30 days.

When she called me Sunday and I checked on line, the Tuesday BDL-RDU flight was available for purchase for $68, and with her seat assignment, checked bag charge, taxes and fees the total was probably about $10 more than what she had originally paid. Mrs dwcatty thinks she's going to get a $400 voucher on top of the $100 voucher (credit) she has already received. Is that right?
I don't think that's what Frontier intend. I would think in their view they accommodated your wife at her request in lieu of the offered compensation. Since the Tuesday flight was for sale, in hindsight she should have accepted the initial offer to refund the fare and $500 in travel vouchers, then use the travel vouchers for the Tuesday flight. But do report back.

Heads up on the vouchers, in my experience F9 has a 90 day expiry period for using them (buying, not flying).
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I did see the 90 days on the booking for the $100 voucher, but thanks for the heads up. I will report back if/when further developments transpire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.