Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Works refund policy...confusing on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
The Works refund policy...confusing on purpose?

I'm looking to purchase a ticket with Frontier, but I want the ability to get the full amount refunded if I decide to purchase the ticket, so it looks like "The Works" package is a good idea.... until looking at the fine print....

Super confusing:

100% REFUNDABILITY

Things happen - have the ability to refund your flight! With the WORKS bundle you can refund your booking with no cancellation fees*.
EXCLUSIVE only to the WORKS!
also this:

If you purchased THE WORKS!℠, you may visit Flyfrontier.com and either apply the value of your purchase to a new ticket without any penalty, subject to any difference in fare and/or options prices, or retain the value of your purchase for use within one year of the transaction date. You may complete the Online Refund Form or call Frontier Reservations on 801-401-9000 to have the full value returned to your purchasing card. Otherwise, if you did not purchase the WORKS℠, each passenger’s booking will retain its value for 90 days in the form of a travel credit. The value of that travel credit may be applied toward the purchase of future travel, subject to a fee of $99 per passenger.
So, my question is do you get "The Works" fee refunded as well? Or just the ticket price? The flight I'm looking at, "The Works" fee is only $7 less than the actual flight price.

Just trying to not get screwed by Frontier!

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

Your entire purchase is refundable including The Works fee.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:32 am

I think that's correct but Frontier can be very inconsistent in their application of policies.

You could ask Frontier on Twitter to confirm. They generally respond quickly and are more knowledgeable than the average phone agent.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Over the past few years, I have cancelled tickets having purchased "the works" several times and gave gotten the full refund including "the works" extra charge. Can't confirm if there's been some kind of a policy change in the last few months (not that I believe there has been such a change)... Major wrinkle I have found is that to get refund to credit card you have to call or follow-up with an email / electronic correspondence. If you only "cancel" the itinerary within the website, your refund is in the form or "travel funds" rather than refund to credit card.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta
I booked a ticket with The Works and later the fare dropped. I called and asked if the agent could change my reservation and refund the fare difference to my credit card. She said she could only cancel the original reservation and book a new one at the lower fare, but would need to charge me a $10 per person phone ticketing fee.

I ended up having her cancel the original reservation and refund it to my credit card, then made the new reservation online to save the $10 per person fee. No problems.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
I booked a ticket with The Works and later the fare dropped. I called and asked if the agent could change my reservation and refund the fare difference to my credit card. She said she could only cancel the original reservation and book a new one at the lower fare, but would need to charge me a $10 per person phone ticketing fee.

I ended up having her cancel the original reservation and refund it to my credit card, then made the new reservation online to save the $10 per person fee. No problems.
So did you need to call to cancel or could have canceled online too?

I am also wondering what price drop is it worth it to cancel and rebook, right now its only $10 and I have a great seat, not sure how fast they release the seat once canceled. I guess if the flight drops over $25 then its worth it , but at $10 no bother
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
So did you need to call to cancel or could have canceled online too?

I am also wondering what price drop is it worth it to cancel and rebook, right now its only $10 and I have a great seat, not sure how fast they release the seat once canceled. I guess if the flight drops over $25 then its worth it , but at $10 no bother

You can cancel it online but it only issues it as a credit so then you have to call in to get the refund processed. So it is better to just call to cancel so they can process the refund at the same time. Also what I do in case of a price decrease just book another ticket right away and change the seat on your original reservation once the new ticket is purchase so then you can login quick to change your seat on the new reservation to the seat you wanted. Then call to cancel the old reservation. Just did this yesterday for 2 trips I had booked with no issues. I love the works package. Also tip if you purchase using the mobile app the works package is cheaper. I know on the website it wanted $80 for the works but on the mobile app it was only $55. Prices always depend on the flights booked.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm
You can cancel it online but it only issues it as a credit so then you have to call in to get the refund processed. So it is better to just call to cancel so they can process the refund at the same time. Also what I do in case of a price decrease just book another ticket right away and change the seat on your original reservation once the new ticket is purchase so then you can login quick to change your seat on the new reservation to the seat you wanted. Then call to cancel the old reservation. Just did this yesterday for 2 trips I had booked with no issues. I love the works package. Also tip if you purchase using the mobile app the works package is cheaper. I know on the website it wanted $80 for the works but on the mobile app it was only $55. Prices always depend on the flights booked.
Can't you use the credit right away? In my case I spent $195 including Works but $95 was cash and $100 was voucher so I guess it is better to get refund this way I will get some cash back when reusing voucher

What I can't do is overlap the tickets to save the seat because I would need the refund to the voucher or use the credit to repurchase the new ticket

Wish I knew about the mobile trick before buying. Its $27 less ($68 vs $85) at the moment but flight is more so can't do anything. I doubt the flight will go down at this point

I am also debating at what amount I want to go through hassle. Right now I would save $27 with Works booking mobile but lose $10 on flight so not sure its worth the trouble. I think a total savings of $30+ worth it. Plus you wait on hold awhile with Frontier from what I recall

Last edited by jmsnyc; Oct 30, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I just cancelled a ticket with the works and requested a refund using the online refund form.

Only hitch is the dropdown for year only goes up to 2019! Note that I bought this 2020 ticket in July so it isn't like they just released them.

I used 2019 in the dropdown and put in the comments that it was 2020 so we will see how that goes.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:31 pm

It does not work to extend vouchers! In fact , if you purchase a Works ticket using a voucher, its not refundable so paying for it is a waste.

I paid $110 flight and $85 for works, $100 of that was voucher which expires in about a month. I have a flight that dropped a little in price and I wanted to rebook, so I tried to cancel online and it would not let me. It made me call. After long wait , the rep said vouchers are one time use. I argued and she agreed to refund the voucher with the same expiration date however she it would take up to 5 days to process. So that defeats the purpose of getting a refund for a flight drop because in 5 days is big risk to wait, flight will likely go up again.

So bottom line - no price drop protection with the Works if using voucher and cant refund to credit to extend for 1 year
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by dustenm
Also tip if you purchase using the mobile app the works package is cheaper. I know on the website it wanted $80 for the works but on the mobile app it was only $55. Prices always depend on the flights booked.
Yes, on a recent Florida to NYC trip the difference was even larger, like $133 browser to $78 iPad Mobile App.

At the cheaper price it is pretty much a no-brainer, especially if you plan to have two bags of luggage, overhead and down under, and there is some modest possibility of wanting to change or cancel the flight.

Granted, especially if you have one of the super-inexpensive flights $15-30, and you really expect to be on the flight, you might not bother, and simply pay the luggage fee online the day before. Losing $25 if your plans change is not a big hurt, and you have to compare that to your loss on the Works, especially if you only have one bag.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:25 am

They have (somewhere) a requirement that the cancellation of The Works should be 24-hours ahead of the flight, or else they will only give the credit, not the refund.

I was able to get the refund anyway, by working with the supervisors, explaining that this is not on the Travel Policies page for The Works, etc. And I told them to get that policy up at the proper spot.

And I pointed out that I was unable to Cancel on the iPad (this is no big deal, but I had tried to cancel earlier on a train.)

===========

More Thoughts

I wonder, if you were stuck with the credit, can you buy for anyone?
And can you buy The Works again, and then try to cancel (more timely.)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 am

I was able to cancel my partial voucher booked flight. Voucher was immediately available.

Could not figure out how to use voucher in mobile app which wad $15 less for works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.