FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program-668/)
-   -   Discount Den cancellation question to stop renewal. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program/1845050-discount-den-cancellation-question-stop-renewal.html)

yarnim May 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Discount Den cancellation question to stop renewal.

I just purchased a trip for my brother and my nieces using Discount Den, as total trip with its pricing was going to be more than the cost of the Discount Den price of $50.

But there's no way I'd want to renew this unless theres another savings opportunity, and if that comes, I'd rather just sign up for it again.

With that said, can I go ahead and cancel the subscription now to stop the renewal while having this for the year or will cancelling it now cancel the membership right now? I looked through their terms and they do not specify this, not surprised.

bajrbajr Jun 1, 2017 11:24 am

I THINK they will let you cancel now, but you lose the benefits for the rest of the year and there is no partial refund.

I let my Discount Den renew... I fly Frontier enough to make it worth the cost.

DarF2001 Jun 7, 2017 8:54 am

if you have multiple credit cards and one of them has an expiration date less than 12 months in the future or one you plan to close, use it for the Den subscription. The renewal will get declined since the card will be expired, and other than a few annoying emails from frontier asking for a different card, you will be fine. The next time after that the Den makes sense again, buy it new with another card about to expire. If you are a typical FT churning cards for deals, you should have a card to make that technique work, and you'll be giving frontier fifty bucks only when its in your interests.

Often1 Jun 7, 2017 9:34 am

Don't count on that anymore. If you are not closing the account and it is simply a new card with a new expiration date and possibly even a new card number, larger vendors subscribe to services maintained by Amex, Visa & MC which automatically update that information.

The account debit won't be declined and the gambit fails.

dburns Jun 9, 2017 2:03 pm

What about using a virtual card number with time and dollar restrictions? Anyone have experience with using one and having the renewal decline if you forgot to cancel?

moops380 Jul 12, 2017 12:12 am

Originally Posted by dburns (Post 28423857)
What about using a virtual card number with time and dollar restrictions? Anyone have experience with using one and having the renewal decline if you forgot to cancel?

Going forward, could buy a vgc/agc for this purpose (during OM promo, etc). Or is it possible to buy a frontier giftcard somewhere?

dioxide45 Jul 16, 2017 10:11 am

I recall going online to cancel our Discount Den membership a few weeks early and it said that it would still be valid through the original expiration date. Kind of like cancelling Netflix. However, I suspect they still tried to charge the credit card because we got an email a day or so after it was to renew saying that the payment method was declined. This is because we had to obtain a new card with a new number because of fraudulent transactions. So I wouldn't necessarily trust cancelling through the link online. Though it is also possible that this email was the same one they send when you don't renew. Who knows.

Often1 Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

People make things way too complicated. Just cancel at 11 months. If a charge shows up, dispute it and provide a PDF of your email cancelling it.

ANC RED-EYE Feb 8, 2018 7:49 pm

Related question - what if I am a discount den member now, and I book a ticket for the future, but then cancel my discount den membership prior to renewal, but also prior to the flight. Would that cause any problems with the already existing ticket? In other words, do I only have to be a member upon booking the ticket, or must I also be a member at the time of the flight?

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 8, 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 29396561)
Related question - what if I am a discount den member now, and I book a ticket for the future, but then cancel my discount den membership prior to renewal, but also prior to the flight. Would that cause any problems with the already existing ticket? In other words, do I only have to be a member upon booking the ticket, or must I also be a member at the time of the flight?

This was asked a while ago and if I remember correctly Frontier said it would have not effect of tickets already purchased. You might want to contact them on twitter because they change things all the time.