Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discontinued the IAH - SFO daily nonstop?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:20 pm
pj_
Original Poster

Discontinued the IAH - SFO daily nonstop?

Hi all - I've been reading these forums for a few years now, but just got around to registering.

I've been flying F9 quite a lot over the last 6 months due to their pretty convenient SFO-IAH direct flight. I've noticed that this route is no longer available and how has quite a long layover in DEN now. Anyone else use this route? It seems quite odd as these flights have almost always been full (20 segments in last 6 mo).
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pj_
Hi all - I've been reading these forums for a few years now, but just got around to registering.

I've been flying F9 quite a lot over the last 6 months due to their pretty convenient SFO-IAH direct flight. I've noticed that this route is no longer available and how has quite a long layover in DEN now. Anyone else use this route? It seems quite odd as these flights have almost always been full (20 segments in last 6 mo).
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:08 pm

Somehow my post seems to have been cut off - dunno why.

I believe that IAH-SFO is suspended for the winter, along with a number of other routes, because Frontier is using this winter to realign the fleet. 5 x A321 have come in (and more will come) but more than a dozen A319's are leaving the fleet in the first three months of the year (several of them end of lease)which leaves them with a shortfall of aircraft until probably the beginning of summer.

Frontier has already said this in public, in the case of TTN-UST, but has also said the route will be restored. It's a calculated risk by Frontier but is part of the ongoing effort to bring costs down to prepare for the IPO.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:57 pm

IAH-SFO appears to be back in the booking extension, from about mid-March.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:18 am
pj_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davywavy
IAH-SFO appears to be back in the booking extension, from about mid-March.
Thanks davywavy. They are back, but looks like the non-stop are now midday flights making for wasted daytime in the air.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by pj_
Thanks davywavy. They are back, but looks like the non-stop are now midday flights making for wasted daytime in the air.
I see that United flies the route several times a day, including at least one evening flight - no "wasted daytime."

I expect United is more expensive, but perhaps that's the trade-off?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by pj_
Anyone who is flying Frontier probably isn't too concerned about wasting time. If you are a business person who needs to get to a meeting, you probably will pay the higher fare on another airline that has more flights and more backup options in case something is delayed.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:58 am

SFO-PHX discontinued?

Looks like SFO-PHX is also discontinued. At least seems to be no flights in May. Too bad. Put some pressure on SW and United fares.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Looks like SFO-PHX is also discontinued. At least seems to be no flights in May. Too bad. Put some pressure on SW and United fares.
AA is on the route as well, and all three carriers are high frequency. I wouldn't be surprised if AA is the most aggressive to fare match them out. G4 has AZA-OAK also.

I think SFO/Bay Area is an expensive place to vacation (i.e. hotel room costs) in general and it might not be as low fare stimulate-able with what F9 was offering against the competition on that route. For SFO based pax, PHX isn't so warm in months like January and might be too hot, and not quite like LAS as a destination. Plus F9 is rather small in SFO for based pax there, and it's awareness might not be akin to what it's like in ORD, PHL, ATL and CLE, where in those markets, pax might be accustomed to fly on F9 and NK without trepidation.

Last edited by beyondhere; Feb 3, 2016 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
SFO-PHX comes back at the end of June, once the fleet issues are cleared up.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:27 pm

SFO-PHX returns but less than daily, at 4x weekly: Monday Wednesday Friday and Saturday.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by beyondhere
SFO-PHX returns but less than daily, at 4x weekly: Monday Wednesday Friday and Saturday.
A lot of less than daily flights this coming summer.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Does anyone know if/when IAH to PHL non-stop comes back?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Does anyone know if/when IAH to PHL non-stop comes back?
I don't see it on the schedule. However, PHL-AUS is added.

Last edited by beyondhere; Feb 8, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by beyondhere
I don't see it on the schedule. However, PHL-AUS is added.
darn. My family had been using this a lot to send cousins, nephews etc back and forth and it was a great deal. Every flight was booked solid too.

This seems to say it is seasonal:
http://fly2houston.com/0/3923550/0/83280D83283/

But I am not sure if that is correct, or what the "season" is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.