Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Trip report for my first Frontier Flight FLL-CLE June 18, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Premier

I had never flown Frontier but wanted to test the waters since they will have a large presence at CLE. I signed up for the Barclaycard Frontier MC and got the 40,000 mile bonus a few months ago.

We (2 of us) ended up flying US to FLL with a connection in Charlotte on a separate itinerary.

Fast forward to our return flight which was a Wednesday night. FLL-CLE was a direct flight scheduled for an 8:10 PM departure. I received a notification from Tripit around noon that day, that the flight was delayed to 9:00 PM. Not a big deal TBH, we got to spend more time at the hotel bar.

Both tickets were award tickets costing 10,000 points each. Keep in mind, Frontier really likes to brag about their 10,000 O/W reward tickets, but there are very few tickets at this redemption level available. We got lucky, especially since everything was booked just one week in advance.

When we booked, we opted for the stretch seating at 20 bucks each. We didn't go for the bulkhead, even though they were available, because of seatguru advice for the Frontier A320 we were on. I was glad we didn't. Upon boarding, I noticed there wasn't as much leg room in the bulkhead seats - but I guess that's common. We opted for row 4.

At check-in (24 hours prior), we paid for our checked bag for a discounted price of $15 (through so-called Discount Den)

So that's the background, here are my observations:

1. Terminal 1 at FLL is very limited. There's a gift shop right after security, a small coffee place, and a restaurant, and that's it. They are building a Starbucks though. In fact, the noise from the construction was quite annoying.

2. Our checked bag weighed in at 53 pounds (3 pounds over) Check-in agent didn't flinch, just smiled.

3. Our carry on items were a medium sized cloth shopping bag (her), and a fully packed backpack (me). No fee for either. Upon boarding the aircraft, there was no problem putting my backpack in the overhead bin. The F/A didn't bother to check if I paid for overhead space.

4. The A320 we were on was amazing. I'm used to flying United or US out of Cleveland. I can't just be unlucky and always get an older plane with those carriers - it must be a Cleveland thing. This jet though was pristine inside and had a few new feel to it.

5. Onboard, there wasn't just a quick plug about the Frontier Airlines MC, there was an entire speech about it. At length, the F/A touted the benefits of the card and the sign up bonus. I mean, they were seriously pushing this card.

6. I decided to pay for the DirecTV for 5.99. Was not disappointed.

7. The pricing structure for Frontier is so convoluted. In order to understand what you're paying for, get well versed in their definitions for carry-on, personal item, classic fare, stretch seating, discount den. I guess that's what flying on a cafeteria plan carrier is all about, knowing what the add-ons are. Also their website booking and check-in system is a tad outdated-looking - but it gets the job done I suppose.

My advice for first time Frontier fliers:
1. Opt for stretch seating if available and reasonably priced, and avoid bulkhead rows.
2. If you are easily bored, the DirecTV really isn't a bad price and comparable with United's pricing. But it's probably not worth it on flights under 2 hours.

Overall it was a very comfortable flight. If I had something important to get home to, I'd be upset about the delay. So far I'm happy with Frontier and hope they continue to expand at CLE.

Let me know if you have any questions about the trip!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you for the report! I missed you at CLE by a few hours as I flew RDU-CLE on 6/17 and left the morning of the 18th.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:45 am

Great report! Thanks for sharing!!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Several
Thank you for the great analysis, very detailed and unbiased.

Frontier will likely be my next frequent airline as they are the only one who have a decent schedule/price for where I need to fly.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report and a great review of Frontier.
I've flown F9 a number of times and indeed have another one in a couple of weeks, DEN-SFO.
Stretch seating is comfortable and usually very reasonably priced.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Premier
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thank you for the report! I missed you at CLE by a few hours as I flew RDU-CLE on 6/17 and left the morning of the 18th.
I hope to take Frontier down to RDU soon, I've been wanting to visit Raleigh for a few years now.

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Thank you for the great analysis, very detailed and unbiased.

Frontier will likely be my next frequent airline as they are the only one who have a decent schedule/price for where I need to fly.
Same here, I really can't wait to fly them again. I really think Frontier will be huge for Cleveland and Clevelanders who are very price sensitive.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Excellent report and a great review of Frontier.
I've flown F9 a number of times and indeed have another one in a couple of weeks, DEN-SFO.
Stretch seating is comfortable and usually very reasonably priced.
I think the stretch seating is very reasonable for most routes and worth it. I really enjoy my space (who doesn't), and I'm willing to pay for it.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:35 pm

Great report, glad things are going well out of CLE. Always questionable when you have contract compaines running more than a focus city operation.

"2. Our checked bag weighed in at 53 pounds (3 pounds over) Check-in agent didn't flinch, just smiled."

This surprised me, not so much that they didn't charge but that they didn't tag the bag as heavy for height and balance purposes.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Of the two key pieces of advice you give, only one is assured as of today - stretch seating - and that probably has a half life of a year or less as F9 continues its race to the bottom.

DirecTV is being systematically shut off on F9 flights and will probably drop below the 50% level this year.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
DirecTV is being systematically shut off on F9 flights and will probably drop below the 50% level this year.
Indeed. It was on on my first F9 flight this year, but on my second flight they left it on during boarding and deplaning to show ads but had it shut off inflight
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Of the two key pieces of advice you give, only one is assured as of today - stretch seating - and that probably has a half life of a year or less as F9 continues its race to the bottom.

This is very unfortunate! I can live without live TV, but that stretch seating is such a nice option. My hope would be that F9 views stretch seating as a way to differentiate itself from other ULCC, but then again premium options like stretch seating aren't a characteristic of ULCC's anyway.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Indeed. It was on on my first F9 flight this year, but on my second flight they left it on during boarding and deplaning to show ads but had it shut off inflight
At least they didn't show ads during the flight. Hopefully that's not going to happen - that would be just awful.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat
Thanks for the review. Flying CLE-MCO on F9 for family vacation this week. Fares were less than 1/2 of United and Southwest when we booked.

Appreciate the Tripit tip as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karch
Thanks for the review. Flying CLE-MCO on F9 for family vacation this week. Fares were less than 1/2 of United and Southwest when we booked.

Appreciate the Tripit tip as well.
No problem. Just fyi I have tripit pro, I don't believe the free version provides flight status updates, but I can be wrong. Their mobile app is nice.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

ULCCs can have things like Stretch seating, Spirit has Big Front seat. Perhaps they will reduce the number but I don't think Stretch is going anywhere. Do you have any proof that they are planning to get rid of Stretch or is this just because you don't like F9 these days?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by freshpoints
At least they didn't show ads during the flight. Hopefully that's not going to happen - that would be just awful.
I dunno, sounds like a revenue raising scheme for F9. Blare ads and sell earplugs and eyeshades to the passengers
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
ULCCs can have things like Stretch seating, Spirit has Big Front seat. Perhaps they will reduce the number but I don't think Stretch is going anywhere. Do you have any proof that they are planning to get rid of Stretch or is this just because you don't like F9 these days?
It's my opinion based on everything else F9 has done in the past two years, or am I not entitled to such opinion because I'm not a shill like so many here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.