Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Trip report for my first Frontier Flight FLL-CLE June 18, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report for my first Frontier Flight FLL-CLE June 18, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I flew my first F9 segments last week. CLE-ATL RT. Both flights were clean, comfortable, packed, on time or early and the FA's were cheerful, upbeat and pleasant. While I had lower expectations because it was $98 RT I was very pleased. I have more flights to MCO and SEA booked. I am looking forward to many more happy landings on F9 especially from CLE.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm glad to see people are supporting F9's expansion in CLE...let's hope it lasts ^
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:11 am

Rocky Start in CLE

Just some random obersvations of the F9 operations at CLE the past several weeks post-expansion.

• The check-in area has been overwhelmed at peak times with long lines taxing the 4 agents. I believe all F9 staff are contractors.
  • There is no baggage service office for F9. I suppose passengers will have to find a contract agent at the ticket counter for assistance.
  • I'm at CLE every Sunday and a check of the flight monitors shows consistently delayed flights on F9, some by as much as several hours. These don't appear to be related to weather.
  • Finally, there was an incident at CLE involving F9 this past week that doesn't seem to have been handled terribly well:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ne_and_br.html

I hope things improve and that F9 is profitable and continues its expansion at CLE, especially introducing daily (5-7 flights/week) operations on the routes it has introduced.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by guy44134
The check-in area has been overwhelmed at peak times with long lines taxing the 4 agents. I believe all F9 staff are contractors.
Under current schedules, several days a week Frontier has two flights (300+ pax) departing CLE almost simultaneously. Those 4 agents must be among the hardest workers at the airport.

If Frontier keeps their schedule at 8-10 departures a day, they can do it. If they grow more, 4 contractors won't be enough. If they get anywhere above 20 dailies (which admits the occasional possibility of three gates being in use at once), it's probably time to think about adding their own staff.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:42 pm

Does the 4 workers get paid well?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Earthlings
Does the 4 workers get paid well?
I don't know the details of the CLE ground handling contract, but "four" seems unrealistic for the number of flights, even by ULCC standards.

When Frontier decided to outsource all the stations except DEN, the staffing numbers for CVG were published:

http://www.fox19.com/story/21906770/...ng-jobs-to-cvg

"Trego-Dugan Aviation will provide ground-handling services for Frontier's daily Denver flight. The company expects to hire one full-time manager and 20 part-time staff."

The twenty were split between check-in and ramp, of course, but Frontier was only flying 1 x daily at that time.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy
I don't know the details of the CLE ground handling contract, but "four" seems unrealistic for the number of flights, even by ULCC standards.
Not sure why people are interpreting what I wrote as if there were four total staff for F9 at CLE? There have been 4 agents checking in passengers on the days I have observed. Perhaps things have improved over the past week; I will check tomorrow and report back. I also saw the frames or what look like 2 kiosks in front of the F9 counters, so maybe self check-in is on its way to CLE.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not sure why people are interpreting what I wrote as if there were four total staff for F9 at CLE? There have been 4 agents checking in passengers on the days I have observed. Perhaps things have improved over the past week; I will check tomorrow and report back. I also saw the frames or what look like 2 kiosks in front of the F9 counters, so maybe self check-in is on its way to CLE.
I sure hope so. They still don't have any machines at RDU despite adding the CLE flight in addition to the TTN ones there.

ILG gets really overrun too but their machines are livesavers.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:53 pm

They seemed to do much better today at check-in. I have no idea what the loads were, but agents didn't seem as overwhelmed. Also, flights generally operated on-time. Kiosks still not installed. New Frontier sign up on wall behind check-in desks.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Flew CLE-MCO today. Check-in was easy. Boarding was breeze, better than the UA cattle line up, flight was packed, just for fun checked the seat map for on the UA CLE-MCO flight, no comparison. I was in 2C, middles in 1 and 2 on A-C sides empty, all others appeared full. Arrived early.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:09 pm

F9 Update

Just a few miscellaneous F9 updates from today:
  • I spoke with an F9 agent today and she said that Hallmark Aviation Services is the ground handling agent for them in CLE. She does not think there are any actual F9 staff members here (except maybe a manager).
  • They had difficulty with the jetway again on the afternoon DEN arrival today at A7. Disembarkation was delayed at least 45 minutes and the plane had to change gates.
  • Their baggage carrousel (#3) was not functioning. I saw two arrivals with the full planeload of passengers moving en masse from #3 to #2. (For what it's worth, Southwest's carrousel (#6) was also out of operation today. So it sounds like this might be a CLE maintenance issue, rather than an airline-specific concern.
  • Finally, there are now 2 F9 kiosks operating in front of their ticketing line. You still need to stand in line if you want to check bags in (no scale or tag printer at kiosks), but it should speed up check-in for those traveling with carry-ons only.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:41 pm

New elite line too. At least I think its new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.