Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier Launches Service from TTN to 3 New Airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier Launches Service from TTN to 3 New Airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
MCI, and the outside contenders of SAV, CHS, and GSO. Something in the FL panhandle is a possibility, but I doubt there is enough traffic heading there (more of a regional destination for the SE).
Another one is GSP. I think GSP viability increases even more if WN deletes GSP-BWI which is down to 1x daily. It's the only low fare GSP to NE flight. A limited GSP-DEN might be possible also esp. if WN closes the entire station.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Just received this email:

Fly Nonstop to Trenton from Milwaukee Starting at $59* One Way

Dear Xxxxx,

Fly nonstop to the Trenton/Philadelphia area! We’re proud to announce that we’ll soon start nonstop flights from Milwaukee to the convenient Trenton-Mercer Airport in New Jersey. Skip the big city hassle and enjoy easy access to New York and Philadelphia. Flights start on June 13, 2014 for as low as $59* one way. Catch a low intro fare now. Plus, earn double EarlyReturns® miles for this route from June 13 through July 13, 2014.

Enjoy a comfortable trip on our 138-seat Airbus 319s with STRETCH seating and a variety of food and beverage choices for purchase.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
And MSP!

Fly Nonstop to Trenton from Minneapolis Starting at $75* One Way

Dear Brian,

Fly nonstop to the Trenton/Philadelphia area! We’re proud to announce that we’ll soon start nonstop flights from Minneapolis to the convenient Trenton-Mercer Airport in New Jersey. Skip the big city hassle and enjoy easy access to New York and Philadelphia. Flights start on June 14, 2014 for as low as $75* one way. Catch a low intro fare now. Plus, earn double EarlyReturns® miles for this route from June 14 through July 14, 2014.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Just booked MDW to TTN for April, haven't heard many good things about the airport, but will have to experience it first hand.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
Just received this email:

Fly Nonstop to Trenton from Milwaukee Starting at $59* One Way
Fascinating to read the comments about this in JS Online - uniformly negative, dumping both on Frontier and TTN.

And at least one - of course - still thinking of Frontier as "the Midwest Killer."

Used it or lose it, I say. If MKE doesn't want TTN (or Frontier) a bunch of cities do.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:21 pm

I guessed JAX, STL, and MSP as the next 3 cities back in November, close enough for me!

That's my guess for the 'talks' - getting a customs facility. If they ever announce DEN, they can also fly to Montego Bay, Cancun, Cozumel, and Punta Cana as they are all within the same range. Frontier might even be able to do those seasonally in the winter even sooner, as lower temps mean less runway needed, and they can operate in a lower range Dec-March.

MCI, and the outside contenders of SAV, CHS, and GSO. Something in the FL panhandle is a possibility, but I doubt there is enough traffic heading there (more of a regional destination for the SE).
The beauty of Nassau, Bahamas is that it has US Customs preclearance, so TTN would not need customs. And at less than 1000 nm, it is within range given the short runway.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy
Fascinating to read the comments about this in JS Online - uniformly negative, dumping both on Frontier and TTN.

And at least one - of course - still thinking of Frontier as "the Midwest Killer."

Used it or lose it, I say. If MKE doesn't want TTN (or Frontier) a bunch of cities do.
Nahh, I wouldn't read too much into the comments on JSOnline.

A small number of people troll those boards and make snarky judgments on all sorts of stories. Some of them have posted today.

Beyond that a handful of negative former employees, including at least one who was canned by Midwest long before Republic entered the picture, show up anytime there's any sort of airline or airport story. They complain about Delta, about parking costs, about Southwest, about airport administration, about airport snow removal, and yes, when there's a Frontier story they'll complain there too. At least one of the regulars hasn't posted yet -- perhaps he or she is on vacation or finally found something better to do with their time.

I don't believe for a minute they represent the bulk of travelers who use Mitchell. I think it's noteworthy that as Frontier has dialed back Denver flights they are keeping DEN-MKE comparably strong. At 22/week this summer they're getting more capacity than several similar markets which used to have as many or more DEN flights including Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, Detroit and Nashville. The Frontier-Delta frequent flyer transfer conducted the other year in Milwaukee lead many people to completely divest their miles and interest in Frontier, but ample people continue to patronize Frontier at MKE as demonstrated in their DEN frequencies.

Certainly this is a use-it-or-lose-it proposition, and not every TTN or ILG market has cut it. But I think if Frontier really believed MKE was poisoned water for them they wouldn't offer so many DEN flights nor add new TTN flights. They've got to continue to fill seats to keep service, of course.

Frankly I wish they'd disable comments on more stories because it's usually a waste of time and sometimes an ugly embarrassment . They finally disabled comments on many crime stories and I wish they'd extend that policy a lot farther. But it brings people to their site... :-/
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Certainly this is a use-it-or-lose-it proposition, and not every TTN or ILG market has cut it. But I think if Frontier really believed MKE was poisoned water for them they wouldn't offer so many DEN flights nor add new TTN flights.
I agree. Also, I think the flight might do well even if it gets a far majority of pax supporting it from the NJ side (who would otherwise use EWR) and who do not know the whole Frontier history at MKE.

I wonder if MSN might be considered too, since F9 services it, and other markets where PHL has no nonstop to the airport.

I'd guess TTN-MEM will be offered in a year. MEM hasn't even started with DEN yet so perhaps F9 is cautious to launch TTN so soon.

Although the one that I would like to see is TTN-GRR while US/AA still lacks a nonstop. Unfortunately, GRR doesn't have existing F9 anymore.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Nahh, I wouldn't read too much into the comments on JSOnline.

A small number of people troll those boards and make snarky judgments on all sorts of stories. Some of them have posted today.

Beyond that a handful of negative former employees, including at least one who was canned by Midwest long before Republic entered the picture, show up anytime there's any sort of airline or airport story. They complain about Delta, about parking costs, about Southwest, about airport administration, about airport snow removal, and yes, when there's a Frontier story they'll complain there too.

I don't believe for a minute they represent the bulk of travelers who use Mitchell.
+1
This year's wonderful winter weather must also be a contributing factor in the tone of comments.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Glad to see F9 show a little love to MKE with TTN flights. I'm interested, but the flight I clicked on gets to TTN at 11:30 p.m. and car rental counters close at 11 p.m.. Hmmm, guess I'm going to have to go back and read those TTN threads for transportation ideas!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:57 am

I've run into this at smaller airports before, and there are a few ways to deal with it:

(a) Call the number for the local counter at the airport and ask. I've found that in some cases they will remain open beyond scheduled close time if a flight with a reserved car still coming in. Definitely something to call and ask though -- don't assume.

(b) Take an airport shuttle to a nearby hotel for the night, and take the shuttle back to get your rental from the airport in the morning. A few hotels around the TTN airport I checked say no airport shuttle but some *do* have a local shuttle that will take you within 5 miles. Again, worth a phone call to ask if they would have someone to run to the airport and pick you up.

(c) Take a cab to an airport hotel and back again for the car in the morning.

I'd likely plan to spend the night near the hotel anyway -- no point in arriving that late and driving and hour or to for a hotel. Then if I have any snags with A or B, there's always C.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:11 am

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...destinati.html

While great to hear, how much fuel does a lower angle really save? TTN-DFW is 250 miles shorter than TTN-DEN, so I’m not sure how a lower take-off angle will add that much range, although it could put DFW and IAH within range if they were just outside of it before.

The big thing I bet F9 is going for here is a slightly lower fuel burn on their current 73 flights per week. Even 20 gallons of fuel per flight saved (a 4%ish reduction In takeoff consumption) x $3.25/gallon is about $250,000/year.

Any professional pilots who can chime in?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
Glad to see F9 show a little love to MKE with TTN flights. I'm interested, but the flight I clicked on gets to TTN at 11:30 p.m. and car rental counters close at 11 p.m.. Hmmm, guess I'm going to have to go back and read those TTN threads for transportation ideas!
TTN has cabs that wait out there. I can't guarantee it but I've seen it when I arrived there late.

This hotel is likely one of the closest to TTN:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...inceton-south/

Some car rentals listed from their site:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...inceton-south/
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
While great to hear, how much fuel does a lower angle really save?
The article is the result of a reporter trying to explain something that he doesn't understand.

On a short runway your takeoff weight is limited by what is called the "runway limit". One of the factors which can reduce runway limit is obstacles in the departure path. You have to be light enough so that if an engine fails at takeoff decision speed you can continue the takeoff on the remaining engine and still make the required clearance over the obstacles in the departure path. By clearing out the obstacles you are increasing the amount of weight that you can carry off that runway.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The article is the result of a reporter trying to explain something that he doesn't understand.

On a short runway your takeoff weight is limited by what is called the "runway limit". One of the factors which can reduce runway limit is obstacles in the departure path. You have to be light enough so that if an engine fails at takeoff decision speed you can continue the takeoff on the remaining engine and still make the required clearance over the obstacles in the departure path. By clearing out the obstacles you are increasing the amount of weight that you can carry off that runway.
Larry, do you think that a loaded A319 could make TTN-DEN with the obstacles cleared, then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.