Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AlohaDaveKennedy
Frontier has announced upcoming charge changes:

. . . ● Flyers who purchase Basic fares from third party suppliers will pay $25 for carry-on baggage and up to $100 at the gate. (Items fitting under the seat in front of you do not count.)

. . . ● Checked first bag fee will increase to $25 for many.

. . . ● Beverages for some (e.g. Basic buyers) will cost $1.99.

See fare options and perquisites here
Print Wikipost

Frontier to charge for carry on luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JeffCO
I have to say, although I appreciate the subtleties of what they're doing, what I have heard in the local media here (and I am guessing what the casual flyer will remember) is "Frontier is going to start charging for carry-on bags and drinks!"
Sure, there's a huge to-do about it. But the media is always looking for the negative headline - and puts the facts in small print.

Much the same thing happened when Frontier first changed the rules with third party bookings. Outrage was voiced - but with no (or very little) loss of bookings.

The travelling public - especially those looking for cheap fares - is usually much more savvy about the whole thing. They will read the fine print, if only to try and find ways to try and game the system.

Much the same happens at Spirit. As a general rule low fares = high complaints:

http://www.examiner.com/article/spir...ger-complaints

"Spirit Airlines: low air fares and high passenger complaints"

I have no doubt there will be some irate exchanges, but in the end the $39 fare will trump. It may also have the least effect at, say, TTN, where 80% of the bookings already happen through the Frontier website.

Last edited by davywavy; May 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm Reason: Added last sentence
Old May 2, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
I've never flown Frontier before, but I have a Flight this June that I used some of my Citi TY points. Looks like the changes for carry on start after my flight, but I can see why no one would want to use TY points afterward for their flights since there will be alot more fees. Does anyone know if you can use a Frontier Gift Card to make food/drink purchases on the plane? Is there ever a way to upgrade to a Classic ticket to avoid baggage fees?
Old May 2, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Desperation. UA drove Frontier out of the of Colorado, and WN and UA will drive Frontier out of DEN.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
This is gross! Frontier is the new Ryanair. United and Southwest will thank Frontier in Denver!
Old May 2, 2013, 11:01 pm

Facebook Frontier

Frontier Airlines

Our New Fees Explained

In response to posts by our followers, we’d like to offer some clarification on our new fees announced yesterday.

Carry-on fees. These fees only apply for Basic tickets purchased through third parties. Book through FlyFrontier.com or our reservations line and you will not be charged a fee. Most of our customers book directly with us and will therefore not incur any charges for carry-ons. Since we must pay distribution fees on tickets sold by third party sites, we are able to provide direct bookings with lower fees, advanced seat assignments, more miles, low fare guarantee and now free carry-on bags. If you do book a Basic ticket through a third party, check-in at FlyFrontier.com to pay the lowest carry-on fees, and note that it will be cheaper to check a bag for only $20 than to bring it as a carry-on.

It is also important to know that customers who have already purchased tickets, regardless of where they booked, will not be charged a carry-on fee. Once we announce an implementation date, only Basic tickets purchased from 3rd party sites after that date will be affected. Yesterday’s announcement was given in advance to be transparent that fees will be coming in the future only for tickets booked after the date that will be announced.

Beverage charges. Passengers who book our lowest fare Basic and Economy fare options, will be charged $1.99 for beverages beginning July 1st. For passengers who prefer to not worry about additional fees at the airport, we do offer our best value Classic fare option. Classic fares are usually just $20 to $30 more than Economy and offer up to 2 free checked bags, a free carry-on, free non-alcoholic beverages, free same day standby, EarlyReturns mileage accumulation of 125% of miles flown, plus more. Our Classic fare option is available at FlyForntier.com and also through some third parties.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:02 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
[quote: http://media.flyfrontier.com/article...view_id=1281&]

Frontier Enhances Services

[unquote]

OMG, what their Marketing and PR folks smoke
Old May 3, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Bad publicity! Driving around today I heard a DJ on the radio say between songs, "Frontier Airlines has announced they will start charging $100 for a carry-on!" No mention of fare classes or where purchased.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:37 am

I agree there has been some bad publicity on this. Confusion with everyone wondering what Frontier is doing.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been seeing it all over the news as well. Whether or not the report tries to explain the difference between a Basic and Economy fare, it comes off as Frontier is charging $100 for carry-ons.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
I have to say that Classic fares almost pay for themselves if you are checking a suitcase. For most fares the difference is $20-35 and it includes FREE DirecTV 2 checked bags, select seating, NO change fee, and now free soda.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Air doesn't offer anything like that. Plus if you book at flyfrontier.com there is no carry-on fee
Old May 3, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I have to say that Classic fares almost pay for themselves if you are checking a suitcase. For most fares the difference is $20-35 and it includes FREE DirecTV 2 checked bags, select seating, NO change fee, and now free soda.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Air doesn't offer anything like that. Plus if you book at flyfrontier.com there is no carry-on fee
Further complicated by F9's advice that if you do book third party, you can still check in at flyfrontier.com and then check your bag for $20 instead of carrying it on for $100.

Except Thursdays between 2 and 5, in odd-numbered months with even-numbered days.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Further complicated by F9's advice that if you do book third party, you can still check in at flyfrontier.com and then check your bag for $20 instead of carrying it on for $100.
I'm not sure why the message is so difficult to comprehend. Just - book on the Frontier website.

The whole point of this is to drive pax to the website, which saves the passenger money and saves the airline money.

Frontier has already dropped Expedia - maybe the rest aren't far behind.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
It appears that as of April 1, Classic/Classic Plus no longer include DIRECTV.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by jonu
It appears that as of April 1, Classic/Classic Plus no longer include DIRECTV.
Ok, thats a disappointment but you still get 2 free bags, no change fee, select seating and as of July 1st free soda/coffee
Old May 3, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
However, Frontier is a leisure airline first. They will never be able to compete with the legacies (including WN) on service and frequency, so they compete on price. In order to give travelers the lowest possible price, they need to earn revenue through other channels.
That will work exactly ONCE for any bookings other then flyfrontier.com. And word will spread quickly.

What if the legacies decide to match fare price which they always seem to do?

I predict either this will change or Frontier will cease flying by November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.