Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AlohaDaveKennedy
Frontier has announced upcoming charge changes:

. . . ● Flyers who purchase Basic fares from third party suppliers will pay $25 for carry-on baggage and up to $100 at the gate. (Items fitting under the seat in front of you do not count.)

. . . ● Checked first bag fee will increase to $25 for many.

. . . ● Beverages for some (e.g. Basic buyers) will cost $1.99.

See fare options and perquisites here
Print Wikipost

Frontier to charge for carry on luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Did not expect Frontier to do this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/travel...ndex.html?c=us
Old May 2, 2013, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
How is this any different than a week ago? If you fly them a lot, you get all the same benefits as before. 15000 miles is incredibly low for elite status and a business traveler should be able to get that no problem.
True, but I don't have elite status now, which means that to use them for a business trip I'd have to go through an override process with our corp agent to get it booked at the F9 website. Today, the corp TA override process (a manual request, essentially) is primarily for routes where WN is the only nonstop. We may get a memo in the next 2-3 days about F9, but the reality is that F9 doesn't operate any of regular routes where they're the only nonstop. I'd just default to a legacy unless F9 is so freakishly less expensive that I want to hassle with (and try to justify) extra receipts.

I get that I can still fly them for leisure, and if I flew them 15,000 miles that'd open them up for biz travel as well. Just seems like unnecessary hoops to jump through.

I actually don't begrudge them for trying to get a handle on out-of-control carryons, but the airlines somewhat created this monster by allowing zero checked baggage for non-elites.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is a story about a specific airline, I will move to the correct forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old May 2, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I actually don't begrudge them for trying to get a handle on out-of-control carryons, but the airlines somewhat created this monster by allowing zero checked baggage for non-elites.
But the airlines weren't making money without charging additional fees. Note that this happened after severely reducing costs from bankruptcy filings at most carriers.

I do think that the first bag should be at a minimal charge of say $10 at OLCI or $15 at the airpoprt, which covers the cost of the agent's time, the bag tag, and loading/unloading from the aircraft.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Merged with existing thread.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old May 2, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Recently I was checking the fares to DEN from IAH or HOU. Frontier has still the lowest fares, lower than Spirit, Southwest or United. I guess someone has to pay for the low fares.

But the whole thing is confusing, if you buy the ticket on the website, then the carryon is free ?

At DEN, now we have Frontier (soon to be Ultra Low Cost), United (Low service, but high cost), Southwest (regular service and cost).
Old May 2, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by pinniped
I actually don't begrudge them trying to get a handle on out-of-control carryons, but the airlines somewhat created this monster by allowing zero checked baggage for non-elites.
You speak the truth, kemo sabe.
The airlines decided to gouge the casual flyer with bait-and-switch "low fares" coupled with outrageous checked baggage charges, and then have unmitigated gall to complain about the carry-on problem that they will help to solve with increased fees.

WN is going to win the war.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth

Hate to hear that.

Frontier will also begin charging $1.99 for coffee, tea, soda and juice on July 1. This fee applies to all passengers. Spirit Airlines also charges for soft drinks. In 2009, US Airways implemented a $2 charge for soft drinks, a move that was quickly rescinded because of its unpopularity with customers.
http://gma.yahoo.com/frontier-airlin...opstories.html

Hope they stock up on Izze's. Or will Izze's go up in price too?

So I must of missed this earlier until I read the gma yahoo page. So we all have to pay for drinks?

Last edited by Earthlings; May 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm
Old May 2, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I worry about the demise of F9 because F9 keeps fares in check in certain markets. My mother lives near Knoxville, TN so when I need to fly there, I am grateful F9 services Knoxville because they keep the fares lower on all airlines. Ironically, on many dates I check F9 isn't the lowest price in the market, but its mere presence and willingness to offer last minute $200 fares one way keeps the other airlines competitive. They pulled out for a few months and when they did the last minute one way nearly doubled. So their presence is great for me.
Not to mention their incredible award chart. Please don't change it!
Old May 2, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yup. I actually won't mind when the stupid Wright Amendment is repealed.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Yup. I actually won't mind when the stupid Wright Amendment is repealed.
Eagerly looking forward to that.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Good ol' RJET -first the annihilation of Midwest, then MKE, and now this. Denver, how do you like your hometown airline now?

How is this competitive since bags fly for $25 on UA and for free on WN?
Old May 2, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Pity ! I had just discovered the TTN MDW route. Charging for a carry on (regulation size only) is bound to lose some customers. By the time I add cab fares, beverage etc at both ends , the appeal of LC disappers, now that miles earnings will also be diminished.
Oh well, will have to return to EWR or PHL if they get too greedy !
Old May 2, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Pity ! I had just discovered the TTN MDW route. Charging for a carry on (regulation size only) is bound to lose some customers. By the time I add cab fares, beverage etc at both ends , the appeal of LC disappers, now that miles earnings will also be diminished.
Oh well, will have to return to EWR or PHL if they get too greedy !
Easey-peasy. Book through the Frontier website and you don't have to pay it.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
I have to say, although I appreciate the subtleties of what they're doing, what I have heard in the local media here (and I am guessing what the casual flyer will remember) is "Frontier is going to start charging for carry-on bags and drinks!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.