Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
F9 to discontinue PVU (Provo, UT)

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...268b74c86.html

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22144996&nid...&s_cid=queue-1

Unfortunately, Frontier will be no longer served to Provo, UT. Because the route wasn't performing at all. Maybe someday in the future they will able welcome back. They will have reconsider again. We are very disappointing to hear the news.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:45 am

Frontier will also discontinue SDF, SMF, CAK, and DEN-PHL in early January 2013.

Last edited by BlueHorseShoe2000; Sep 15, 2012 at 1:50 am
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
PROVO -- Provo Mayor John Curtis announced today that Frontier Airlines will be discontinuing commercial service to and from Provo at the beginning of 2013. Frontier recently immerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is currently in the process of looking for new investors.
I don't know what's sadder: Frontier dropping its service or 12-year-olds writing for newspapers.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I don't know what's sadder: Frontier dropping its service or 12-year-olds writing for newspapers.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...t-flights.html No grammatical errors in this one, I believe. But it was originally written for tv reporting, so the sentences and paragraphs are ultra-short and lack style.

As to the substance of the article, I suspect that F9 did not get as much business travel on that flight as they had hoped. SLC with its DL hub is just too close to Provo to make connecting in DEN attractive to Provo businesses. I work for a large company and none of the people I closely work with have flown on the F9 service -- we are all too enslaved to Skymiles.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Seems like Provo ought to set its sights on luring a vacation carrier such as Allegiant or Spirit.

Allegiant might be a tough draw since they already serve Ogden, which is sort of the equivalent of Provo in the northern direction from SLC. But Allegiant's schedule from Ogden is limited, with just flights to Phoenix/Mesa. Might be room for Provo-LAS or Provo-LAX. But I'd imagine Allegiant would be more likely to add more service to Ogden if they expand in Utah.

Spirit might be an option...they don't serve any Utah destinations currently, but with a handful of exceptions they don't utilize the secondary airport strategy, which would make Provo a tough sell.

With Frontier faltering, it's gonna be tough for them to get anyone back there, including the obvious option of United over to DEN.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Frontier will also discontinue SDF, SMF, CAK, and DEN-PHL in early January 2013.
Will Frontier maintian a hub in Denver? They seem to be reducing service all th time to major cities. I flew them once and thought they were fine. Their service was miles ahead of Southwest. I guess service does not matter though as seen by Southwests growth in Denver. Would it b better for Frontier to focus only on leisure destinations where Southwest does not fly?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TWATWA
Will Frontier maintian a hub in Denver? They seem to be reducing service all th time to major cities. I flew them once and thought they were fine. Their service was miles ahead of Southwest. I guess service does not matter though as seen by Southwests growth in Denver. Would it b better for Frontier to focus only on leisure destinations where Southwest does not fly?
Of all the many fascinating things that the new CEO at Frontier is doing - and I do find them fascinating - one thing is clear: they will always have a primary hub at DEN.

There may, however, be some interesting changes coming up to that hub. In this competitive environment, why fly to all the same places from DEN as everyone else?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TWATWA
Yes, Denver is the ONLY hub in the Frontier system. Orlando and Colorado Springs can be considered "focus cities," but the vast majority of Frontier's flights are in and out of DEN. They seem to be shifting to more of a Southwest/Allegiant model, as service from Denver to Minot, South Bend, and Mesa were just added. There has actually been a refocus on Denver, as F9 has reduced capacity/frequency at MKE and MCI in favor of DEN, COS, and MCO.

Frontier is an interesting, if not quirky, airline. They are a cross between Southwest, Allegiant (flights to small town USA), and legacy carriers (elite stauts, perks, hub & spoke system from DEN).
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...268b74c86.html

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22144996&nid...&s_cid=queue-1

Unfortunately, Frontier will be no longer served to Provo, UT. Because the route wasn't performing at all. Maybe someday in the future they will able welcome back. They will have reconsider again. We are very disappointing to hear the news.
Well, crap PVU is why I've been flying F9 so much the last year. If I have to go all the way up to SLC then I should probably consider Delta or somebody else again
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I'm just now seeing this. Horrible news. I used this route all the time to fly my siblings in and out of Provo, especially with the miles being reduced for needing an award. Really, DANG IT.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Allegiant Air has announced they will be flying non-stop, twice a week, from PVU to AZA.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

Now to figure out how to get some Allegiant miles...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

Now to figure out how to get some Allegiant miles...
No, they do not have FF miles program. Sorry.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:25 pm

Airport director must have changed his opinion on Allegiant in support of keeping the airport running. I remember talking with him once, always encouraging him to find some other airline service to bring more revenue to the airport and make operating their cheaper for Frontier. He didn't like Allegiant's model at the time and I guess Allegiant wanted too much from the airport.

Last edited by MostlyAir; Dec 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.