Keeping miles from expiring

Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Keeping miles from expiring

I haven't flown F9 in a while and noticed on last months email statement that I had some miles that were slated to expire at the end of this month. I'm not flying F9 anytime soon, so I redeemed some miles for a magazine. Does this extend my miles (it does in other programs)? I only ask because today I got a notice that I had miles that are about to expire. My account activity shows the debit for the magazine subscription. Tried searching, but didn't find any recent threads.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:10 pm

Not sure about debiting from your account to keep it active. Can you book a ride on super shuttle before the end of the month? You may have to follow up to make sure you don't lose your miles

Here are a thread from the past-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/front...-good-bad.html
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'll just have to call Frontier and see what their definition of "activity" is. I can probably squeak in a supershuttle trip in April. The March statement email says the miles expire March 31, but the email I got today says "Post activity by June 30, 2012". Confusing.

I spent some time digging around on the Frontier website, and finally found the following in the EarlyReturns membership guide:

Mileage in a member's account will not expire, so long as the Member generates accrual activity in the account. Unredeemed mileage accumulated in a Member's account will expire at the end of the 24 months after the last accrual activity date. For example, the last mileage posting, flight, or partner activity as of May 2011 is valid until May 2013, unless the member has accrual activity in the interim.
Apparently my strategy is not valid on F9 as you must accrue miles to keep the account fully active. It seems that they did push out the expiration date based on my usage of miles, but only by a month. The good news for me is that I don't have that many miles, so if I can't find a supershuttle ride, I wont cry over < 5K miles.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Do you have frequent flyer miles in other programs? If so, create an account on points.com and "swap" a handful of miles (3 - 10) from the other program for 1 Frontier mile. Points.com is a rip off when you deal with large amounts of miles, but for keeping an account active or for partner earning activity associated with some frequent flyer promotions, it comes in handy.

If you don't want to do this, consider buying something you would otherwise order using the Frontier Airlines on-line mall. Sometimes, it is as simple as purchasing a song on iTunes to keep an account active. The miles may not post for several weeks or months, but the date of activty controls for purposes of mileage expiration for most FF programs.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
If you don't want to do this, consider buying something you would otherwise order using the Frontier Airlines on-line mall. Sometimes, it is as simple as purchasing a song on iTunes to keep an account active. The miles may not post for several weeks or months, but the date of activty controls for purposes of mileage expiration for most FF programs.
This seems to be the easiest way to generate some accrual of miles.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Do you have frequent flyer miles in other programs? If so, create an account on points.com and "swap" a handful of miles (3 - 10) from the other program for 1 Frontier mile. Points.com is a rip off when you deal with large amounts of miles, but for keeping an account active or for partner earning activity associated with some frequent flyer promotions, it comes in handy.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Good idea. Now that I have confirmed that I need to accrue miles, I'll probably go with the on-line mall option. I'm sure I can find something and it seems that I now have almost 2 months to deal with the miles posting. The vast majority of my points are on United, so no transfer out.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Another option, which is free, is to accrue Best Buy or US Airways points via Audience Rewards Trivia and move those points via points.com to F9.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...a-u-s-air.html
Old May 18, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
18-Month Expiration Period

When did Frontier change its expiration policy from 24 months to 18 months (accrual activity only)? It wasn't that long ago that they cut it from 36 months to 24 months, and I don't remember ever being notified that the time period was now only 18 months.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
When did Frontier change its expiration policy from 24 months to 18 months (accrual activity only)? It wasn't that long ago that they cut it from 36 months to 24 months, and I don't remember ever being notified that the time period was now only 18 months.
18 months is fair, its called a FREQUENT flyer program.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
A relative of mine lost F9 FF miles by only redeeming for magazines. They were about 50-60% to a one-way (12,500 mile) ticket. Redeeming is not good enough. Must "earn" although I think earning by partners works. (Verify this)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.