Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Damaged Checked Baggage but full reimbursement and a happy ending... :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.

I just thought I'd take the time to post an experience I had with Frontier Airlines. This was my first time flying with them last month. I'm an Executive Platinum with American Airlines (4 million miler) and fly them almost exclusively.

My family was on a 4.5 month trip traveling around the world and flew it all on American Airlines except the final leg. For the final leg of the trip we booked a Frontier Airlines flight from Denver to San Diego as the flight arrival time worked out better for us.

It was our first time on Frontier and I was impressed with them. Very friendly agents and flight attendants. The only problem was upon arrival we discovered that our expensive Phil & Ted's Vibe stroller was totally damaged. I'm not sure how it happened but the entire body of the stroller (which was metal) was totally crushed and the metal was broken in several places.

Immediately we brought it over to the customer service agent by the baggage pick up area and she inspected it and agreed that they were responsible. However, when she asked how much it was worth and I told her that we paid around $800 for it, she couldn't believe it. I told her that I still had the receipt as we purchased it a few months ago. She told me she would need to get permission from the manager.

It took 2 days but she did confirm that they would pay for it and said they would mail a check out. She said she Googled it and confirmed how expensive they were. The only frustrating part was that I waited a month for the check and it never arrived. I guess it got lost in the mail. We had just moved to San Diego so that could be a possibility there was a snafu with the mail.

It took several calls to confirm how I could get a replacement check. I told them rather than mail out another check, I could come to the airport and pick it up.

So today, I went to the airport and personally met with the City Manager, Eric Srangsriwong from Frontier Airlines and he personally came out and apologized for the situation and the delay. He did show me a photocopy of the original check and it was indeed dated for the original date they mailed it out. (One side of me thought they just said they mailed it out, but the photocopy confirmed they did mail it out and it got lost in the mail).

I was impressed that the City Manager himself came out to apologize and shake my hand. Not only that but he gave me a $300 voucher for a future flight with Frontier Airlines to apologize for the situation. I thought that was extremely classy and turned a frustrating situation into a positive situation.

This was my first flight with Frontier Airlines but certainly won't be my last..... They definitely value customers... even first time customers....

Thanks Frontier Airlines!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
In this day and age of companies doing the right thing in the wrong way, it's good to hear about your experience. And, especially coming from an AA Plat!

Glad you had a good experience, but I know it'll be tough to give up all of those first class seats that you're able to enjoy.

BTW... what brought you through Denver on your worldwide trip? Were you coming from Europe on BA or LH?

Welcome home!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Great story, and congrats to the Frontier employees who made this all happen.

Glad to see someone in this industry taking pride in their service, because it sure isn't happening on UA, or even WN anymore. Makes me feel good about giving F9 extra $ for all those Classic + tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
In this day and age of companies doing the right thing in the wrong way, it's good to hear about your experience. And, especially coming from an AA Plat!

Glad you had a good experience, but I know it'll be tough to give up all of those first class seats that you're able to enjoy.

BTW... what brought you through Denver on your worldwide trip? Were you coming from Europe on BA or LH?

Welcome home!

Hi Stumblefoot,

I totally agree with you that in this day and age many companies do the wrong thing. I was worried that they could easily see that I never flew their airline before and therefore didn't spend tons of money with them.

When something happens on American Airlines, they typically email me fairly quickly, even without me having to contact customer service or send in an email. I'm sure a big part of that reason is because I've flown millions of miles with them and spent significant amounts of money with them over the past many years.

I was worried that Frontier would have the attitude, "oh this guy has never flown with us before and we've not made money with him so it's ok to screw him" kind of thingy.

The big worry was that it wasn't some cheapo stroller and I know with some airlines it would have been like pulling teeth to get them to replace it. People without kids don't realize how expensive some of this stuff is.

I explained to Frontier that this was an expensive stroller and invited them to replace it if they wanted to. But they told me to just go out and buy a new one and they would cover it.

The only inconvenience was it taking so long but I could clearly see they did mail the check out but it got lost and not their fault.

I was still sour on the Airlines until today when the Manager himself came out to shake my hand and apologize. The $300 voucher was totally unexpected but greatly appreciated. In fact, I already redeemed it today for a business trip to DFW here in a few weeks. A bit of a pain to connect through Denver but only 30 minutes but still am going to give them some business now that I'm in San Diego.

As to what brought me to Denver.....we were actually finishing up our trip in Breckenridge. We spent so much time on the beach with a month long trip in Hawaii traveling around and then 20 days in Mexico, that we wanted to enjoy the mountain and spend 10 days in Breckenridge. So we flew there to end the trip before moving to San Diego.

Definitely I would recommend this airline to anyone based on my experiences with them. Here is an airline that recognizes when they made a mistake and going the extra mile to earn business.

Last edited by saint; Sep 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
That's fantastic and congrats on your move to San Diego. A great community with an awesome climate!

BTW... I love your signature and the fact that you practice what you preach! By the sound of it, you had a fantastic summer.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:56 pm

Frontier does something right for once. Kudos to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.