Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to book - any theories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Best time to book - any theories

Right now I am 5 weeks out exactly , the flight isnt bad but the works for one way is $83 and I am thinking that is high - my thoughts is that I wait a little but not more than 3 weeks it may fall
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Right now I am 5 weeks out exactly , the flight isnt bad but the works for one way is $83 and I am thinking that is high - my thoughts is that I wait a little but not more than 3 weeks it may fall
Really rolling the dice this time of year. 5 weeks out is still peak summer travel. Could always book with the works and if it drops refund and rebook but if it doesn't you are stuck with the added price of the works.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lidosjawn
Really rolling the dice this time of year. 5 weeks out is still peak summer travel. Could always book with the works and if it drops refund and rebook but if it doesn't you are stuck with the added price of the works.
Thanks . How does the Works work when using a voucher? Does it change the expiration dates of the money used if you get it refunded?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Thanks . How does the Works work when using a voucher? Does it change the expiration dates of the money used if you get it refunded?
I haven't used a voucher on the Works and always just get my full purchase back to my credit card. Probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lidosjawn
I haven't used a voucher on the Works and always just get my full purchase back to my credit card. Probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
Thanks. I have the same question with Southwest - I have $100 voucher and debating whether selling it on ebay or trying to extend it by booking. Its not travel funds, its a voucher issued at airport for delayed flight

Update: I called. When you cancel a flight with the works , you have two choices, a refund or a credit. From what the rep explained, if I receive a credit it is good for a year. If I request a refund, it goes back to the voucher and the original expiration remains. This is from what I understand based on her explanation - which is pretty nice. The flight I want doubled, I may pick another day which is cheaper and watch the more expensive flight and if it falls switch to that .

I have $100 voucher that is good for another 5 months that I got from complaining about them not refunding a flight that I tried to cancel within 24 hours. Their reason which I know is valid is that the flight was in 7 days.

Last edited by jmsnyc; Jul 18, 2019 at 9:26 am
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
This is always an interesting time of the year. I think the demand really starts to fall off around August 15 (school year starts in many places) and a couple of years ago I did VERY well (like $58-78 ATL-LAS RTs) in late August. But you have to play the waiting game while they try to sell for more.

This year I notice they just did a sale at 30% off Tu/We in August and 50% after 9/4, so maybe the bet is that they can put off selling seats for the bottomest dollar into September. I dunno if that's based on anything or if they're just bluffing.

IIRC, August 1 is an important threshold and in past years they've ramped up the percentage-off sales to sell the unsold seats in the 2-3 week window. But that's assuming demand patterns are similar to past years, and maybe they're higher now. So ya never know but I'm trying to wait at least until August 1 to bottom-fish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.