Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrades vs paying

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: United,Marriott,National
Free upgrades vs paying

Had a frustrating experience on a recent flight from Den to PDX. 20 minutes before boarding the GA announced that anyone who wanted a "free" upgrade should come to the counter. How is granting a free upgrade in anyway good business to all that paid for an upgrade when booking or checking in? I paid an additional $21 to upgrade.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

One of the Elite benefits is a free same day upgrade if space is available. You paid for an upgrade and were guaranteed a seat well in advanceof getting to the gate. You alos got to pick your seat.. People who upgrade at the gate are less likely to get one. .
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I''ve seen a case or two where they have wanted to put at least one or two people in an otherwise empty exit row (usually row 13). If the plane was exceptionally light on load maybe they'd have reason to try to put more people in rows 1-3 for weight/balance, but outside of that I don't think they should give that away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.