Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CANCUN arrives 2am

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

CANCUN arrives 2am

What do people do when your flight arrives that early? CUN doesn't have a hotel on airport property. Book Comfort Inn near airport for a few hours sleep? I don't think Shuttle runs 24/7. I guess I could take a taxi. Try to negotiate, in advance, an early check-in for an extra fee. Show up early, maybe 4am and see if a room is available either as a courtesy or paying a fee. All inclusive so an extra night charge is too much.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most people would tough it out to get to the property where they are staying for the duration and book it for the night before arrival. If you do this, make sure that you discuss and have an acknowledgment from the property that you will be arriving "late".

This is hardly uncommon for European arrivals which are most often early AM and Asia departures which are often middle of the night arrivals/departures.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by lewisc
What do people do when your flight arrives that early? CUN doesn't have a hotel on airport property. Book Comfort Inn near airport for a few hours sleep? I don't think Shuttle runs 24/7. I guess I could take a taxi. Try to negotiate, in advance, an early check-in for an extra fee. Show up early, maybe 4am and see if a room is available either as a courtesy or paying a fee. All inclusive so an extra night charge is too much.
Having been in the position of arriving in that neck of the woods late and finding my real estate person forgot to leave the keys for my rental (arrived at 1:30 am at the place) and subsequently trying to find a place to stay (was insanely difficult even getting anyone to a hotel front desk and mostly just talked to security guards - although this was further down the coast in a quiet area - did end up with a room for a few hours and it was charged as All Inclusive), I'd say suck it up and book something for a few hours even if you have to take a taxi to the Comfort Inn (which can be $$$ for such a short ride at that time of night). That is what I started to do rather than rely on a resort or rental agency to have my room/rental ready for a very late arrival- although the Comfort Inn is not fabulous by any stretch. If you are staying closer to Playa Del Carmen, I would be inclined to book a transfer to the Holiday Inn Express there even though the drive is significantly longer. The hotel is newer and if you are heading that way anyway, it is nicer for an overnight. Starting your holiday at that time of arrival and trying to fill the first few hours at the airport or in a hotel lobby will be miserable and leave you exhausted.

p.s. lots of the resorts and villa rental areas have security gates that you need to get past before you can even get to the hotel desk. If they don't have your name on an arrival list, you may have trouble even getting on property. No idea when they run their lists but getting out of a taxi and having no where to go could be a disaster.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Problem is moot. Frontier is stopping most service, maybe all, service to Cancun in a few weeks. I wouldn't be Happ if I booked and wound up getting a refund. First few days in February are the last days.

edited to add: Frontier is getting rid of the MCO-CUN flight which was used as a connecting flight for many east coast airports. I think some of the other flights are still on the schedule.

I was never planning on arriving at 2a without a paid room, previous night late arrival.

Last edited by lewisc; Jan 26, 2018 at 11:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.