Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier's sales seem to be reaching maximum absurdity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier's sales seem to be reaching maximum absurdity

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I cancelled a WN reservation today and booked Frontier because they were willing to fly me 1200 miles nonstop for $19. I don't think this is that unusual: they seem to have a ton of close-in off-peak fares for almost nothing. I suppose they think they can make a little money selling ancillary stuff. I would think at least half the folks who buy these are gamers and know the drill, and ancillary revenue will be thin. I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem like much of a business to me. How much of $19 do they even get to keep? My original WN fare was $83, which seemed cheap.
Based on my past experience buying a $15 ticket from ATL to Mia, they keep less than $10 on a $19 ticket.
The atl airport fee is $4.50 and the TSA fee is $5.60. I am sure there are other taxes/fees as well.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think the scare stories of IRROPS are somewhat over blown. The ULCCs have about the same cancellation rates as every other airline and in some cases have actually bought their passengers tickets on other airlines. Spirit has significantly improved their operational reliability. Frontier has generally been pretty reliable after some rocky months after their purchase by Indigo. Allegiant I have no experience with.

In my case I take the chance and if necessary will book a walk up fare on another airline to get home, but I've never had to. I could probably book that replacement using credit card points of FF miles, but in any event I'm positive I'm so far ahead that I will still be ahead if it ever happens.
"Significantly improved their operational reliability" is actually the crux of the problem: It takes a while before you bounce back from a reputation of having problems (just ask Amtrak how long it takes for ridership to rebound after a Class I has an OTP meltdown) and Spirit has begun grasping that...but for the average traveler, a few horror stories goes a long way towards making saving $10 not seem worth the risk.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
"Significantly improved their operational reliability" is actually the crux of the problem: It takes a while before you bounce back from a reputation of having problems (just ask Amtrak how long it takes for ridership to rebound after a Class I has an OTP meltdown) and Spirit has begun grasping that...but for the average traveler, a few horror stories goes a long way towards making saving $10 not seem worth the risk.
Frontier was the victim of a lot of "Hit Stories" when they changed their business model some were deserved, many were not.There was a lot of complaining about "how it used to be", and not much recognition of the fact that "how it used to be" was not financially viable.

I am perfectly happy to do my own research, make my own determinations and take advantage of other's ignorance and prejudice.

Southwest continues to live on the perception that they are the cheapest airline, which is not generally true. However there are other compelling reasons to fly them.

The Legacies continue to be affected by their past sins. I continue to avoid them because of their predatory pricing and current fee structure.

Everyone should make their own decisions.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Frontier was the victim of a lot of "Hit Stories" when they changed their business model some were deserved, many were not.There was a lot of complaining about "how it used to be", and not much recognition of the fact that "how it used to be" was not financially viable.

I am perfectly happy to do my own research, make my own determinations and take advantage of other's ignorance and prejudice.

Southwest continues to live on the perception that they are the cheapest airline, which is not generally true. However there are other compelling reasons to fly them.

The Legacies continue to be affected by their past sins. I continue to avoid them because of their predatory pricing and current fee structure.

Everyone should make their own decisions.
First of all, I'm going to agree with the latter point.

As to Southwest, as you've indicated the question is rather more complicated (and comes down to which bundle of services you're looking at, when you're booking versus flying, and who actually serves your market and at what frequencies...WN with 3-4x daily flights may win out simply because Frontier has a clunky schedule).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigbuy
Based on my past experience buying a $15 ticket from ATL to Mia, they keep less than $10 on a $19 ticket.
The atl airport fee is $4.50 and the TSA fee is $5.60. I am sure there are other taxes/fees as well.
Yeah, at $19, they're basically giving you the ticket for about $10 and hoping to make something from you on ancillary revenue. I think Frontier's cost per seat mile is a little more than 7 cents. While very low by industry standards, it still means that, for my 1200 mile trip, it costs them about $90 to fly every seat on that airplane (whether full or not). It's seems a very long way from $10 to $90 breakeven.

I would think that, perhaps, an ULCC could sell some seats on my route for $59 off-peak -- which would still be an incredible fare to fly 1200 miles -- and break even. I don't see how it makes sense to do any flying where you're going to discount down to $19. That just doesn't seem like a sustainable business model to me. If that's what it takes to fill the plane up, the route is just too marginal, or the competition too intense.

Meanwhile, they're training customers like me to only buy their tickets when they go to basically zero. That can't be good for business, either.

EDIT
Coincidentally, I just ran into an article that said "flash" airline sales are actually declining in number. I don't think they're subscribing to Frontier's marketing emails!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...112-story.html

Last edited by iahphx; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:15 am Reason: more
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Can you buy Den deals at the airport? Because I just saw a fare from PHL to SAT for $98 roundtrip with $38 in CICs. Now of course if you buy at the airport your bag is $8 more normally or $13 during value season so unless you can just fit all your clothes in your personal item it becomes less worth it to purchase at the airport.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Can you buy Den deals at the airport? Because I just saw a fare from PHL to SAT for $98 roundtrip with $38 in CICs. Now of course if you buy at the airport your bag is $8 more normally or $13 during value season so unless you can just fit all your clothes in your personal item it becomes less worth it to purchase at the airport.
You cannot buy Discount Den fares or memberships at the airport.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by lidosjawn
You cannot buy Discount Den fares or memberships at the airport.
then the shouldn't be allowed to charge the CIC if you can't avoid it
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The whole buy-at-the-airport bit is the "TicketMaster model" where they act like you should pay EXTRA to buy over the internet rather than having to go to a physical location like an airport or box office. When both for Frontier and TicketMaster they're just not set up for it anyway, and it would be more expensive to hire employees, etc., if they were. It's cheaper for the companies to sell online, but rather than charging u less they look for an excuse to charge you more.

Both Frontier and Spirit Try to use sneaky mandatory fees (none worse than the CIC or "passenger usage fee") to try to build a base amount not subject to sales and that they hope to shield from fare competition. Legislatively they also want to go back to having all that HIDDEN, so that they could advertise a $0 fare and it could total out to $50 even before "extras" like bags. It would become one giant bait-and-switch, but you've got a long history all over the travel industry of advertising "bait" prices that don't reflect what the consumer actually pays.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by iahphx
I got an email today offering 99% off flights to Florida. They weren't really 99% off, because Frontier calculates fares in an "interesting" way, but if you could fly on a random Tuesday, there were some crazy fares available.

This follows a rash of other recent remarkable discounts. Fly for $25, 75% off, etc.

I can't help but think this is no way to build a business. Frontier seems like the airline that you might fly if one of their crazy fares "works" for you, but that you wouldn't otherwise consider. Kind of the airline for extra discretionary travel.

I'm skeptical this is a business, but we'll see.
Their model is to get you to pay fees for other things like seat assignments, baggage, and food and beverage aboard. I think the fare itself (aside from the aforementioned taxes and government fees) is almost meaningless.

Because of a flight time change and some courtesy vouchers, last weekend my daughter and I flew TPA-DEN-TPA for a grand total of $53 (total, not each). The two checked bags, however, cost $160. I even managed to snag us Stretch seats on the return by checking in very late.

I tend to think that the folks who are unsatisfied with Frontier don't understand what they're buying.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Their model is to get you to pay fees for other things like seat assignments, baggage, and food and beverage aboard. I think the fare itself (aside from the aforementioned taxes and government fees) is almost meaningless.

Because of a flight time change and some courtesy vouchers, last weekend my daughter and I flew TPA-DEN-TPA for a grand total of $53 (total, not each). The two checked bags, however, cost $160. I even managed to snag us Stretch seats on the return by checking in very late.

I tend to think that the folks who are unsatisfied with Frontier don't understand what they're buying.
As I've mentioned in another Frontier thread, the "problem" with Frontier isn't the fees, it's the reliability. Everything is (more or less) OK until there are irregular ops and you get stranded. Like I had a more-than-satisfactory $19 flight to MSY and then got stranded there when they "forgot" to buy de-icing fluid for that station.

BTW, I think you're incorrect in thinking that the "fare doesn't matter." NOBODY will stay in business charging $19 for flights. You were very generous giving them $160 for your 2 checked bags. Most people -- especially after they fly Frontier once or twice -- won't do that (note that Spirit has suffered from declining ancillary revenue). The unanswered question is whether, over time, Frontier can keep their costs low enough to under-charge the majors. Given the very effective counter-tool of "basic economy," that's not a bet I would make, but we'll have to see. Investors are also skeptical: in the past year, Spirit's stock price is down 20%, while airlines like American are up 20%. That's signalling that something is not going well with the ultra low cost airline business model in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.