Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Are Stretch Seats more comfortable than regular seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

I've got a TPA-DEN-TPA roundtrip coming up this weekend. Is Stretch Seating more comfortable than regular seating? I know it has more legroom, but do the seats have more padding?

It's $45. I'll just do The Perks if I do it, because Stretch + a checked or carry-on bag is slightly more than the Perks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I've got a TPA-DEN-TPA roundtrip coming up this weekend. Is Stretch Seating more comfortable than regular seating? I know it has more legroom, but do the seats have more padding?

It's $45. I'll just do The Perks if I do it, because Stretch + a checked or carry-on bag is slightly more than the Perks.
The stretch seats recline, while the regular seats do not. If reclining is important to you, then I would go with stretch, especially as TPA-DEN is a pretty long flight. Other than that, the seats feel pretty much the same to me as the regular seats.

If you do go with stretch, I would recommend row 2 instead of row 1.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I made the jump. Row 3 both ways as that's all that was available besides the exit row, and I'm traveling with my 10 year old daughter.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Just FYI, if you have a carry-on, (depending on space/crew) you'll have to put it in an overhead bin behind you (sometimes many rows away) as the overhead bins over Rows 1-3 are reserved for the bulkhead row (1).
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
Just FYI, if you have a carry-on, (depending on space/crew) you'll have to put it in an overhead bin behind you (sometimes many rows away) as the overhead bins over Rows 1-3 are reserved for the bulkhead row (1).
We are not in a great hurry once we arrive at DEN, so this is not a big deal if it happens. I appreciate the heads-up though!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by wallyboag
The stretch seats recline, while the regular seats do not. If reclining is important to you, then I would go with stretch, especially as TPA-DEN is a pretty long flight. Other than that, the seats feel pretty much the same to me as the regular seats.

And don't forget that the stretch seats also have a full size tray table
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:52 am

Agreed. The recline and the extra space make it worth your while. The recline mechanism can be a little tricky to find. The first time I sat there, I didn't realize until quite late into the flight that it was a reclining seat, and didn't see how to make it recline. It's not the traditional button to push.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The seats help if you're tall but don't have any more width. If memory serves you need to feel around the right side near the front of the cushion for the small recline lever.

The exit row is also a stretch seat and has a way of attracting large people trying to re-seat in mid-flight. FAs are inconsistent about shooing them away if they didn't pay (though with longer flights you're more likely to have fuller sections from elites or those who paid).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by wallyboag

How tight is the legroom in row 1? It is all that's available for my flights next week.
ETA: Equipment is A321, if it matters.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
How tight is the legroom in row 1? It is all that's available for my flights next week.
ETA: Equipment is A321, if it matters.
The leg room is about the same as row 2, however the bulkhead means you cannot put your feet under the seat in front of you. Also, since you can't put your feet under the seat in front of you, you also can't put your stuff there, so all items have to go in the overhead compartment for takeoff (they save some space in the compartment exclusively for row 1 for this reason). There's still more room than the regular seats, just not as much nor as convenient as the second and third row.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I figure that large customers are bound to fill the stretch seating rows, whereas regular rows are more likely to have an empty middle. True?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I figure that large customers are bound to fill the stretch seating rows, whereas regular rows are more likely to have an empty middle. True?
My experience is that the stretch seats often fly empty. I guess people looking for a cheap ticket aren't willing to spend the extra money.

I was a Frontier Elite for a while and I was always able to upgrade at the gate and often sat in a row alone. Of course that was almost 2 years ago. I liked Frontier, I only stopped flying them because they dropped my most frequent route.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
My experience is that the stretch seats often fly empty.
Most of $45 front row seats are already assigned on this flight, probably because it's a red-eye and some people need the legroom to sleep.

I guess it's too much to hope that the load will be so low that entire rows will be empty in the back.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Most of $45 front row seats are already assigned on this flight, probably because it's a red-eye and some people need the legroom to sleep.

I guess it's too much to hope that the load will be so low that entire rows will be empty in the back.
Red Eyes and coast to coast flights may be different. Most of my flights were relatively short
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:32 am

From what I have seen flying the red eye between LAX and MCO and back a couple of times and once from SNA to DEN and back (so six flights, YMMV), the entire plane was sold out except for on two flights, where there were maybe 5 or 6 seats on the entire plane that were empty. I think that Frontier aggressively prices its flights to make sure that every seat is full. I would not count on any middle seat being empty.

One thing I did notice was that as the check in time came around and seats were being automatically assigned, the seats in the back of the plane (save for the last row which I believe is kept open until the very last minute to seat families with small children together if needed) were assigned first, working its way up to the front. Because of this, my guess is that you would be more likely to have an empty middle seat towards the front of the plane than towards the rear. However, again, I wouldn't count on this because every flight I have been on has been mostly or completely full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.