Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Buying Tickets at Airport Gate - Information on Savings & Complications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Tickets at Airport Gate - Information on Savings & Complications

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Buying Tickets at Counter - Information on Savings & Complications

The articles on buying Frontier tickets at the airport ticket counter are missing key information typically.

The only reason to buy at the counter is that it saves you $23/person/segment by avoiding the Carrier Interface Charge (CIC). Sounds great right? Well, there are a lot of other gotchas on that:

1. Discount Den prices are only available online. At the counter they can only sell you the normal/non-DD fare price. Discount Den is almost always at least $10 cheaper per segment, and sometimes much more. This eats away at a lot of the $23 CIC savings, and possibly all of it. If you're a DD member, the value of buying at the counter is greatly reduced.

2. If you have elite status, especially 100K status, you don't get the full benefits buying at the counter. Yes, the agent can add your account #, but you will have to go back online and add your benefit options like bags, seats. You will NOT get the Works or any other bundle you qualify for, those are online-only bundles. For 100K/Works members, the main benefit you do not get is refundability which is a large benefit to give up. You cannot add that after the counter booking like you can with bags and seats.

3. TIME - you may have to wait for the agent, and then get them to go through the process and their systems on their terminal - all take much longer than an online booking. The couple of times I've tried it, they aren't very familiar with the process and it takes several minutes for just one booking.

4. Like time, there is convenience in doing it yourself online - you can more easily review each step and verify everything's OK.

In general, if you have DD and/or good status, I think the in-person booking is a waste. Best case you're probably saving less than $10/person/segment and then spending a lot of time vs. online. If you don't have DD, and your trip is enough to care about trying to save $23/person/segment - there's a good chance DD is worth it to you and then at-counter is not worth it.

I wish I would have known all these points before expecting to save a bunch at the counter and wasting both the time of the agent and myself (I ended up not even buying one thing from them after about a 45 minute experience). The first results that come up when searching online only mention how great the $23/person/segment savings is. So I'm sharing these extra details here.

I tried this all this week, so this is a recent data set.

Last edited by alchemista; Dec 16, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:03 pm

Most of these are fair points. However, when you reference "the gate" I think you mean at the ticket counter. The gate is where you go to board the plane, not check your bags and buy tickets.

I believe some 100K members here have reported success getting The Works added via customer service after purchasing tickets at the airport to retain the refundability and other benefits associated with their status.

I would also add the limited hours many Fontier ticket counters at outstations are open as a potential drawback.

I've had good luck with agents assigning me seats toward the front of the aircraft for free when booking at the airport so that is one potential additional benefit in addition to saving money by not paying the CIC.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:57 pm

I agree. When i buy frontier or spirit at the airport. They always assign me seats for free. The OP is looking at it as a person that has status. If No status then booking at the airport is a good saving. Especially buying for multiple people round trip.

Originally Posted by jjbiv
Most of these are fair points. However, when you reference "the gate" I think you mean at the ticket counter. The gate is where you go to board the plane, not check your bags and buy tickets.

I believe some 100K members here have reported success getting The Works added via customer service after purchasing tickets at the airport to retain the refundability and other benefits associated with their status.

I would also add the limited hours many Fontier ticket counters at outstations are open as a potential drawback.

I've had good luck with agents assigning me seats toward the front of the aircraft for free when booking at the airport so that is one potential additional benefit in addition to saving money by not paying the CIC.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rashodw
I agree. When i buy frontier or spirit at the airport. They always assign me seats for free. The OP is looking at it as a person that has status. If No status then booking at the airport is a good saving. Especially buying for multiple people round trip.
Also if you are Discount Den, but no status, that takes away a lot of the savings.
rashodw likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: Discount Den and Delta Miles
I had no idea people still bought tickets at counters

Originally Posted by alchemista
The articles on buying Frontier tickets at the airport ticket counter are missing key information typically.

The only reason to buy at the counter is that it saves you $23/person/segment by avoiding the Carrier Interface Charge (CIC). Sounds great right? Well, there are a lot of other gotchas on that:

1. Discount Den prices are only available online. At the counter they can only sell you the normal/non-DD fare price. Discount Den is almost always at least $10 cheaper per segment, and sometimes much more. This eats away at a lot of the $23 CIC savings, and possibly all of it. If you're a DD member, the value of buying at the counter is greatly reduced.

2. If you have elite status, especially 100K status, you don't get the full benefits buying at the counter. Yes, the agent can add your account #, but you will have to go back online and add your benefit options like bags, seats. You will NOT get the Works or any other bundle you qualify for, those are online-only bundles. For 100K/Works members, the main benefit you do not get is refundability which is a large benefit to give up. You cannot add that after the counter booking like you can with bags and seats.

3. TIME - you may have to wait for the agent, and then get them to go through the process and their systems on their terminal - all take much longer than an online booking. The couple of times I've tried it, they aren't very familiar with the process and it takes several minutes for just one booking.

4. Like time, there is convenience in doing it yourself online - you can more easily review each step and verify everything's OK.

In general, if you have DD and/or good status, I think the in-person booking is a waste. Best case you're probably saving less than $10/person/segment and then spending a lot of time vs. online. If you don't have DD, and your trip is enough to care about trying to save $23/person/segment - there's a good chance DD is worth it to you and then at-counter is not worth it.

I wish I would have known all these points before expecting to save a bunch at the counter and wasting both the time of the agent and myself (I ended up not even buying one thing from them after about a 45 minute experience). The first results that come up when searching online only mention how great the $23/person/segment savings is. So I'm sharing these extra details here.

The last time I remember buying a ticket at a counter is like 1985, in Baltimore. I think I even paid cash. Talk about the Ghost of Christmas Past, lol.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: Discount Den and Delta Miles
The last time I remember buying a ticket at a counter is like 1985, in Baltimore. I think I even paid cash. Talk about the Ghost of Christmas Past, lol.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: Frontier 20k Elite
90% of the time, I'm buying my tickets at the counter. This is the case even with me having 20k status and Discount Den.

1. Buying at the airport is almost always cheaper than online even when you factor in the DD price. I always check the math. I do this by taking the non-DD price and subtracting the CIC charge from it and comparing it to the DD price. Usually, I save $46 total ($23 a segment) per itinerary. To some that may not be a lot. To me, that money I saved can buy me another RT ticket. For example, I was looking at a RT ticket for LAS-MDW. DD price was $70, non-DD price was $84. I booked it at the airport and it ended up being $38. That money I saved I actually used it to buy another cheap RT ticket. The only time I buy online is when the DD price is usually $30 or more dollards cheaper than non-DD price.

2. I take at minimum 1-2 RT flights a month. That gives me 4-8 minimum opportunities to buy a ticket at the counter while I'm there. This way I don't have to spend extra time going to the airport just to buy a ticket. I will already be there.

3. Even if there is a line, I don't mind waiting 9/10 times since I'm already waiting for either my flight to depart or waiting for someone to pick me up. If the line is too long and I can't/don't want to wait or there isn't an agent at the gate, I know I will have more chances later.

4. I have a pre-written out slip of all the info needed for booking for the agents to make it easier for me and for them. This reduces mistakes and lets them double-check any information they're inputting. The agents appreciate it and I do hardly any talking.

5. Sometimes my benefits are added at the counter and sometimes they aren't. It all depends on the experience of the agent assisting me. I have no problem spending 30-45 seconds adding my benefits to my booking if they are not able to. This is fine at the 20k and 50k status levels.

The only people I can say that would benefit the least from this are people with 100k status. Even then, it depends on what is most important when you're booking. If you need/like the flexibility to cancel and get a refund, need a checked bag, or are traveling with a group who needs luggage, then I wouldn't recommend this and you should book online. If price is key, then booking at the airport will still be a good bet for many. Yes, you don't get the WORKS bundle. However, you do still get a free carry-on bag, priority boarding, and stretch seating (group stretch seating if you need to as well) which may be all you need for certain bookings.

Just my two cents.
chica likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel_dork
90% of the time, I'm buying my tickets at the counter. This is the case even with me having 20k status and Discount Den.

1. Buying at the airport is almost always cheaper than online even when you factor in the DD price. I always check the math. I do this by taking the non-DD price and subtracting the CIC charge from it and comparing it to the DD price. Usually, I save $46 total ($23 a segment) per itinerary. To some that may not be a lot. To me, that money I saved can buy me another RT ticket. For example, I was looking at a RT ticket for LAS-MDW. DD price was $70, non-DD price was $84. I booked it at the airport and it ended up being $38. That money I saved I actually used it to buy another cheap RT ticket. The only time I buy online is when the DD price is usually $30 or more dollards cheaper than non-DD price.

2. I take at minimum 1-2 RT flights a month. That gives me 4-8 minimum opportunities to buy a ticket at the counter while I'm there. This way I don't have to spend extra time going to the airport just to buy a ticket. I will already be there.

3. Even if there is a line, I don't mind waiting 9/10 times since I'm already waiting for either my flight to depart or waiting for someone to pick me up. If the line is too long and I can't/don't want to wait or there isn't an agent at the gate, I know I will have more chances later.

4. I have a pre-written out slip of all the info needed for booking for the agents to make it easier for me and for them. This reduces mistakes and lets them double-check any information they're inputting. The agents appreciate it and I do hardly any talking.

5. Sometimes my benefits are added at the counter and sometimes they aren't. It all depends on the experience of the agent assisting me. I have no problem spending 30-45 seconds adding my benefits to my booking if they are not able to. This is fine at the 20k and 50k status levels.

The only people I can say that would benefit the least from this are people with 100k status. Even then, it depends on what is most important when you're booking. If you need/like the flexibility to cancel and get a refund, need a checked bag, or are traveling with a group who needs luggage, then I wouldn't recommend this and you should book online. If price is key, then booking at the airport will still be a good bet for many. Yes, you don't get the WORKS bundle. However, you do still get a free carry-on bag, priority boarding, and stretch seating (group stretch seating if you need to as well) which may be all you need for certain bookings.

Just my two cents.
#1 - how are you saving $23/person/segment vs. Discount Den? That $23 is off the full-price, and Discount Den is always at least $10 savings. So that means the most you can be saving is $13/person/segment.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:07 pm

My 2cents:
As a 100K'er, I bought tickets at the counter vs online, only because I was already traveling/at the airport and had time to waste before departure. I agree, you aren't saving that much money if you are a DD'er. In my case, The savings between online and at counter was `$6, not worth it if you are making a straight airport trip to just buy tickets.
I did have the works added and refundability when buying at the counter. I made sure the counter could see my status on their screen (which they showed me) and everything was good. This happened 8 months ago.
chica likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
My 2cents:
As a 100K'er, I bought tickets at the counter vs online, only because I was already traveling/at the airport and had time to waste before departure. I agree, you aren't saving that much money if you are a DD'er. In my case, The savings between online and at counter was `$6, not worth it if you are making a straight airport trip to just buy tickets.
I did have the works added and refundability when buying at the counter. I made sure the counter could see my status on their screen (which they showed me) and everything was good. This happened 8 months ago.
Nobody's ever reported the Works bundle added at the counter - everything says that's online only. I think what probably happened was your flyer # was added, so it appeared you got free bags, etc, but you didn't actually have the bundle for Works. Did you actually try to cancel and get a refund on that ticket?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Frontier 20k Elite
#1 - how are you saving $23/person/segment vs. Discount Den? That $23 is off the full-price, and Discount Den is always at least $10 savings. So that means the most you can be saving is $13/person/segment.
When I say "save", I'm talking about the difference between non-DD price online and non-DD price at the airport. You're right that my savings rate is less when comparing it to the DD price, but it's still cheaper overall which is what is important to me. I'm not always saving $23/person/segment. Also, there are many times when the DD price and the non-DD price are less than $10 apart. Those are usually shorter flights. I've seen the difference be as low as $1-3 before. Now granted, the CIC charge won't be as high so it will be proportional to the fare, but still cheaper.
chica likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Nobody's ever reported the Works bundle added at the counter - everything says that's online only. I think what probably happened was your flyer # was added, so it appeared you got free bags, etc, but you didn't actually have the bundle for Works. Did you actually try to cancel and get a refund on that ticket?
​​​​​​I Bought a ticket at the airport earlier n the year when I first got 100k. I made thread here about how I could only add "The Perks" to my itinerary. Basically, free seats and bags, but no refundability.
edit:
Found thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program/2066135-100k-works-benefit-airport-purchase.html
alchemista likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
DD is usually at least $10 cheaper than regular. But not always. I've seen DD be $2 cheaper, and I've seen it be the same price. So don't just assume that it's $10 cheaper.

Otherwise, good thread. I used to buy a lot of F9 tickets at the airport, but when I became DD and 100k, seemed not worth it.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
DD is usually at least $10 cheaper than regular. But not always. I've seen DD be $2 cheaper, and I've seen it be the same price. So don't just assume that it's $10 cheaper.

Otherwise, good thread. I used to buy a lot of F9 tickets at the airport, but when I became DD and 100k, seemed not worth it.
Same here. I will be dropping down to 50k for 2023 so for next year I’m exploring the idea of buying tickets when I am already at the airport. Lots of good info on this thread so thank you to the OP. When there is a small price differential between DD and Non DD, it will make sense for me to buy at the counter.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 9:22 am

Good thread. Fully agree for single tickets, with a large DD savings baked in, and for someone not at the airport it makes little sense.

But as others have said the DD discount is often much less than $10, especially on super cheap fares. I fly with my wife + 3 kids a few times per year for leisure travel. I'm already seeking out cheap tickets since I'm buying five. In those cases I've been twice able to stack buying five tickets while I'm already passing through the airport flying solo. At $200/trip savings it's an easy move in those instances...the line sucks but I'm usually catching up on work email anyways so it's semi-productive.

But, to your original point, when I'm buying tickets for just me I rarely buy them at the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.