Carrier Interface Charge / "CIC"

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Yep total fare in the example I posted was $1.86 which resulted in only a $0.14 excise tax
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I think your right about airline imposed fees like the CIC, any fuel surcharges, etc. However, I think the airport or goverment imposed fees should be able to be added at check-out. Frontier doesn't charge me the the CMH Passenger Facility charge thats a fee from the Columbus Regional Airport Authority. The LAS PFC is a fee from Clark County, NV. Any airline imposed fee should be included in the total. Its not much money but an increased goverment/airport fee now gets absorbed by the airline because lets say Frontier is charging $19 for the flight from CMH to LAS. Columbus says, well we have a new terminal we need to pay for and ups its PFC to $9.00 from $4.50. Frontier has 2 options it can "raise fares" to $23.50 or it can keep the $19 fare and eat the extra $4.50 because $19 fares sound better than $23.50 and besides Frontier is not charging you $23.50 to go from CMH to LAS its charging you $10, CMH and LAS are getting the other $13.50

The one place this is totally out of control is car rentals, why should Avis be able to charge me a surcharge to recoup registration fees, did I miss the part where registering a car with a state is not the normal cost of running a rental car business??
I think the counter-argument with the government-imposed fees is that they'd be the same (or similar) for any other airline, so it's at least a level playing field. A connecting flight would trip more PFCs than a non-stop, but the fees generally have caps. If memory serves, eons ago the legacies tried to punish Southwest by arguing to reduce the ticket tax (from 10%, I believe) to the current rate and substituting segment taxes instead, effectively penalizing airlines that weren't hub-and-spoke and would have more connections.

I also remember way back when airlines said they'd start itemizing all the taxes (back when they had paper tickets). They can still do that if they want (i.e. give a breakdown of that), but given how that's a preferred place for airline-imposed fees that some airlines try to make look like taxes, the info isn't always complete.

As for the car rents, those have gotten unbelievable, with 6 or more different added lines in some cities. Some that are taxes are really ridiculous and unfair, like Kansas City and the very expensive "downtown arena fee." You've also got BOTH the vehicle license fee and an extra road tax in some places, as well as high customer facility charges (for consolidated rental places) AND concession recoupment fees. The CFCs make the consolidated facilities look more like something done TO you than FOR you, and the concession recoupment should really be a cost-of-doing-business (as are others that aren't taxes). You also get "energy surcharges" and companies like Avis that want $1/day if FF miles are earned.

BTW, one of the worst states on the tax side is Taxes...er, Texas.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:15 pm

You guys are awesome

@RustyC
@Jerseyguy

I never knew that you could save money just buying the ticket at the airpot.
No more CIC fees for me

Out of all the other fees listed here, is that the only one that would be avoidable?

Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
No only the CIC will be waived at the airport. The rest are all government or airport fees. I actually just bought my first CIC free ticket the other day in Trenton. It was a second seat ticket for my return as I am a passenger of size. It was a $19 fare from Orlando to Trenton and while the CIC was only $4 I was going to be at TTN for some more pictures I wanted to shoot for my website. Best part of it was that the women who was issuing the ticket upgraded my seats to Stretch seats on both my tickets. I had paid $9 for seats on my first one. I think it has to do with working as a cashier. I am now extremely patient and polite to retail workers
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:25 pm

Ooh nice. I've done the counter purchase "trick" with Spirit a couple times, looking forward to doing the same for Frontier. I foresee more totally unnecessary and ridiculously cheap weekend trips in my future.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
No only the CIC will be waived at the airport. The rest are all government or airport fees. I actually just bought my first CIC free ticket the other day in Trenton. It was a second seat ticket for my return as I am a passenger of size. It was a $19 fare from Orlando to Trenton and while the CIC was only $4 I was going to be at TTN for some more pictures I wanted to shoot for my website. Best part of it was that the women who was issuing the ticket upgraded my seats to Stretch seats on both my tickets. I had paid $9 for seats on my first one. I think it has to do with working as a cashier. I am now extremely patient and polite to retail workers
Just wondering how this works. I'm also a big person and wonder if when purchasing a second seat, do you pay all the taxes etc? Are they charged per person or per seat in other words? Also, if you purchase a second seat do you have to pay for seat selection, or if you don't care where you sit, just that your two seats are together (obviously) you can skip that cost?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I tried to buy a ticket with The Works at the airport, and all the counter agents said that they cannot add The Works. A phone agent told me the same thing. Your mileage may vary.

In effect, The Works cost me an extra $19 by forcing me to buy it online. I am addicted to refundability, flying Southwest and using points to buy tickets if the passenger does not fly often.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:19 am

Can't you add The Works online after booking at the airport?

Has anyone had success using a promo code at the ticket counter to save even more than just the CIC (which seems to be up to a maximum of $19 now)?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:30 pm

another question

For those who have done this successfully, did you have a reservation in advance? If so, was it made by phone?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:13 pm

Don't make a reservation in advance. Just walk up to the ticket counter (preferably at a time when they are not busy with flight check in) and tell the agent you would like to buy a ticket. They will make the reservation for you and take your payment. Sometimes they even will give you a seat assignment without charge.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Thanks for the info.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:19 am

CIC fees and taxes

A flight from Cincinnati to Tampa on Frontier is $94 the taxes and CIC Fred address $80. I can fly other airlines for that price
Old May 22, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Bobbie Rachford
A flight from Cincinnati to Tampa on Frontier is $94 the taxes and CIC Fred address $80. I can fly other airlines for that price
Who is Fred? What is his address?

You don't give a date but I can see a $94 fare on 6/15. The cheapest Flight I could find for 6/15 was $110 on AA, and it included a plane change.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Any issues buying tickets at airport for passengers not present? Looking at myself + one and hoping only I need to trek out to the airport to do it. I read Spirit has required the traveler to be present for purchase.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Any issues buying tickets at airport for passengers not present? Looking at myself + one and hoping only I need to trek out to the airport to do it. I read Spirit has required the traveler to be present for purchase.
In my experiences, Spirit does not require the passenger to be present.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.