Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Frontier rips you off

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania
The call to the 801 number (who would have guessed ) was routed to the Philippines and the quality was terrible.
However, assistance was remarkably helpful and the agent - with a heavy accent - competent, professional and courteous.
No fees were charged for the change.
I have found the Philippines telephone agents a mixed bag. All are pleasant but some obviously know how to say the words but don't understand the meaning, or simply repeat standard phrases leading to some bizarre consequences. My usual approach is HUCA if there is an obvious failure to communicate. Hopefully they are getting better.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

Hi -

I know that Frontier can be difficult to deal with, but I can put up with a lot when I get a PDX-DEN RT for $38.20.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I know that Frontier can be difficult to deal with, but I can put up with a lot when I get a PDX-DEN RT for $38.20.
That's amazing, since all I can see is $53.10 as the lowest fare OW until 4/19/17 - which of course is still a great deal
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:39 am

Hi -

I agree. For $38 I flew CMH-LAS rt in September and I signed up for a double miles promotion. I didn't pay for a seat selection and I just brought a computer bag to put under the seat. When everything goes smoothly, they are just fine. I'll admit, I'd hate to have to deal with a cancelled flight with them.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:45 pm

Hi -

Travelomania, you need to sign up for the email alerts (or check their website daily). For a day or two they were advertising OW fares for $20 ($19.10 when you booked).

UAL123, you are right about IRROPS on F9. When a flight is delayed/cancelled, the place reminds me of an Asian LCC.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:06 pm

Hi -

Travelomania, you need to sign up for the email alerts (or check their website daily). For a day or two they were advertising OW fares for $20 ($19.10 when you booked).
Yep, will do so !
Am frequently in the market for PDX-DEN - have a freestyle-skier, participating in worldcups in CO.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors (Diamond)
Originally Posted by trubador
I dumped 50k points so I would never have to fly that clown show ever again.
Amen, I am about to dump 25k miles next month. When these clowns ended TV service and the Plus service to chase behind Spirit Airlines on no frills. I said enough. At the end of the day, I rather spend my money on full service airlines. It makes for better air travel even though I pay a little more.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:38 am

I think that Frontier provides a good value for the money. No frills, yes. You pay for everything you need, yes, but then you also don't pay for what you don't need.

When I fly with my family we pay for seating assignments, but we are able to sit in the discounted back rows, so the "upcharge" is only $6 each way to sit together. Also, we are able to check one bag between the three of us, so when you divide the cost between the three of us, that comes to a charge of $10 each way. Because of this, we were able to fly round trip between LAX and MCO for $122 per person. I have never seen a round trip between LAX and MCO for less than $200 on any of the legacy carriers. Usually they average in the $300 range.

Also, the timing of the LAX->MCO run is perfect. We arrive early in the morning and leave late in the evening, which means we don't waste a day traveling.

I have to admit though, the setup on Frontier is just not good for a 5 hour plane ride. There is zero entertainment options, and the seats do not lend themselves to adults being able to sleep. My 7 year old daughter was able to sleep both ways, but neither my wife nor myself were. Which would be OK if there was something to do during the flight, but there wasn't. I think that if Frontier would install wifi on their fleet I would not think twice about flying with them to MCO again with my family. When I fly solo on that route, I tend to splurge and get stretch seating. I still can't sleep in even the stretch seats, but I do appreciate the extra leg room when I can't steal my daughter's leg room in the seat next to me.

We are using Frontier to fly to DEN as a family next month and I expect it to be a much better situation. This time we are flying from SNA which is a smaller airport closer to home, and obviously the flight is a lot shorter so the lack of entertainment is not as much of a big deal. With seating assignments and one checked bag the round trip came out to be $72 per person round trip. Again, no full-service airline could possibly come close to that rate. Usually SNA-DEN is more than double that amount.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Dumped my miles on Frontier. They are down to one flight every other day from closest airport to DEN. So if there is a problem, you will be delayed at least 48 hours and possibly more. Not going there again.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:17 pm

Hi -

Travelomania ... today those same PDX-DEN flights are 38.10 each way.

Like I said -- gotta check every day.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:09 pm

Hi -

Travelomania ... today those same PDX-DEN flights are 38.10 each way.

Like I said -- gotta check every day.
Yep - altho currently in NZ ... already booked for $76.20 RT ^
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:50 pm

38.20 rt phl - mco, i dont give a damn if they dont have in flight wifi or whatever, ill just read a book on my phone or paperback

You really cant beat flying to orlando and seeing disney on the weekend for $150
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
The carry-on fee is the biggest reason why I don't fly them.

Remember the days when Frontier was more like jetBlue?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The carry-on fee is the biggest reason why I don't fly them.

Remember the days when Frontier was more like jetBlue?
I remember their fares were much higher then, too. You can pay for a carry on and still come out ahead flying the new Frontier. Or just bring fewer things that all fit in a "personal item". That is pretty easy to do, especially for a short trip.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:56 pm

Hi -

Travelomania, PDX- DEN is $20 each way on selected Tuesdays and Wednesdays through the winter. and $49RT for M-W or T-Th roundtrips

Last edited by Orwaid; Nov 12, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.